Is she pregnant?

Amy J

My family and I bought a female Jackson's from a petstore a few days ago, and I think she may be gravid. The petstore employee suggested this after I mentioned she looked very overweight. There apparently had been a male Jackson's in there. There had been a Fischer's too. I don't know enough about breeding to know whether it is possible he could have mated with her...She's probably about 8 months old. She seems very healthy and active. Does not overeat. She started exploring her new cage as soon as we got her. I even found her on the ground the other day, which leads me to believe she is looking for a place to give birth. But how can I be sure she is gravid? I tried feeling her stomach today, but I don't know what to feel for. She's a Jackson's so there won't be eggs, I no that. And I think that makes it a little bit harder to look for signs (no digging). So is there anything I can do to determine whether she's gravid or not?

P.S. I'm new to chameleons.

Attachments

• chamz.jpg
    chamz.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 343
She gets these little black splotches on her if that's what you mean. You can sort of see it on her upper right leg in the pic. She also gets redish tinges to her but I assume that's normal. Does that mean anything?

WOW! Yes, she looks VERY pregnant! I have not personally bred jacksons, so i cant 100% confirm that, however I observed literally hundreds of females in both the wild and in petstores when I was living in Hawaii. Over the span of about 3.5 years, I have seen probably 20+ females that size, and they all gave birth to 9-15ish within about two weeks of that.

Another one of my observations, which might be totally coincidental, is that she is really showing a "red phase" as many female jacksons go through - I have observed that as well prior to giving birth.

Has her appetite declined/decreased since you have gotten her? Its probably hard to tell because she is so new to you, but they do slow down prior to birthing. Ensure that your enclosure has plenty of branches for her to lay on, she will look like she is pooping, but agaist a branch - the "sack" will stick to the branch, and the baby will emerge out of that if it does not fall to the ground.

If she was housed with males - I would say that she is 100% gravid, and about to "pop" anyday now. Jacksons gestation period is about six to nine months, so its hard to tell how soon it will be.

Jacksons will produce anywhere from ten to fifty babies at one time, so be ready with fruitfly cultures and pinheads, you are gonna need em. If this is overwhelming for you, I reccomend you return the female to the store ASAP

Thank you so much Cammie! Just having an informed opinion makes me feel so much better. I hated not knowing because I want to prepare.

It is hard to tell since I have just gotten her, but she was eating well yesterday and then stopped as far as I've seen today. is I'm going to try to feed her again soon though. I can't quite jump to conclusions yet I guess.

I have a 20 gallon (or bigger, i'm not sure) tank on hand at the moment for temporary placement, but my dad is very handy if we find we need something bigger or better ventilated over time. She has many sturdy branches to climb on, but I have been trying to figure out ways to arrange one that is close to the ground and easily accessible for her to give birth on. How far should the embryotic sacs drop?

I'm not overwhelmed at all. I know of at least two petstores that would be more than willing to take some when they are old enough...And this is very exciting. I love my new chameleon addiction! I learn more each day. Thank you for your help.

Oh by the way any ideas what to name this girl? Yes she's still nameless. Is Prego too cruel? :) I was thinking Anise...I'm not sure though. My last one (which I had to take back because of an eye infection) was named Guadalupe! :)

Dont be too afraid to let em take a bit of a drop - as long as its not TOO high - the impact sorta "triggers" their response to start breaking out of the gooey sack they are in. If you want, feel free to place a few moist paper towels to soften the blow, but overall you should be fine with up to a few feet :)

I got some nice ideas for a name for you - since its a female... how about Jackie or Jacky? hehe get it? jackson.. :D:D

Thanks that helps.

Haha yes I get it...and I like :D. That may be a contender. I was going to name a male Jackson's Andrew if I ever got one because my History teacher has a mancrush on Andrew Jackson...inside joke thing.

wow a gravid female i wonder if it was the one i sold to my local pet shop lol. i hope you are fortunate enough to watch her give birth.

Thanks that helps.

Haha yes I get it...and I like :D. That may be a contender. I was going to name a male Jackson's Andrew if I ever got one because my History teacher has a mancrush on Andrew Jackson...inside joke thing.

I still cant get over how large she is, I mean wow!:eek: Let us know how many she has - typically they will birth in the early morning between 6am-11am if you are keeping her on a routine lighting schedule that is (which you should be btw if you are not:))

Her light schedule should be very routine, considering she lives in a sunroom :)(which I will have to do something about once it starts to really heat up in there). So yeah I don't use the lights much except when it's a little cool. I wanted to get a veiled because they do better with the sunroom temps, but I ended up with this girl after my veiled had to be returned due to an illness...but that's another topic for another day...

She's young but very healthy it seems, and hardy. The petstore's care wasn't perfect. The Fischer had just died. I only took her because she was so healthy-looking despite all this even while pregnant! I'm expecting her to live a long time and to give birth to more than is normal for her age. But 8 months is quite young, isn't it? And could the Fischer's have been the father, not the male Jackson's?

Hi Amy, I thought I might add a couple of cents here, if I may. Having been interested in chameleons for a very long time there are some observations I've made over the years that may help. The first is that it is highly unlikely that an adult Jackson's chameleon being housed in a cage with an imported Fischer's chameleon at a petshop is herself captive bred. So, assume that, since she is a jacksonii xantholophus, she's a wild caught from Hawai'i which means she is most likely gravid, being exposed to wild males. My Jackson's were much wider than yours appears to be when they gave birth though, so you might have some time to go. A pic from behind or above might be easier to judge if you get a chance.

I'm sure you've considered that since their Fischer's chameleon just died that husbandry might not have been a top priority for your girl. Just make sure lots of water and a great diet are priorities for her now. Her diet will decrease or cease a few days before giving birth and she will be restless climbing screen, etc. All my live-bearers have seemed to choose weekdays when I'm at work to give birth, but I assume during the morning hours as others report to be accurate since mine have always been finished before I made it home :(

Good luck with her, she looks great. Just keep her happy and healthy and you should have babies sooner or later.....probably sooner than later.

nice! congrats on the prego momma you got there but soon as the babies have hatched from the sacks make sure you move them to another cage cause momma will be hungry and they have been known to eat there young , i always called my female veiled Momma cause she had 80 babies at 2 seprate times 40 each time so it just stuck with me Momma , and the bad news is she passed away on me last week poor girl she was 3.5 yrs old , ill never forget her she was my second and most nicest chameleon iv ever had ,

Thanks for the interesting info Kent. I never considered that she may have been wild caught (captive Jackson's are pretty easy to come by for me). But it makes sense now considering the petstore specialized in exotic fish and reptiles. They even had a pair of giant tortoises on display! But unfortunately I think they had more animals than they could properly care for, which is probably why they didn't catch any problems the Fischer's may have been having. But her appearance of great health in spite this made me sure she was hardy. That's why I got her.

I have been keeping her very well hydrated, but she has stopped eating the last two days, no matter how I try to feed her crickets or superworms. She has also started climbing the screen around the cage like you suggested -- something new for her. She seems a little tuckered out, like she's ready to bust! She better give birth soon. It makes me a little nervous that she won't eat. But she ate a lot two days ago. I know it wasn't gradual (suggesting illness), so that makes me feel a little better.

I'm very excited. I just hope she gives birth this weekend, so that I can see it. Here's a picture from overhead:

Attachments

• chamabove.jpg
    chamabove.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 160
Yes I have heard that the chams sometimes eat their young, Boothy. I'll be sure to separate them right away, but it's good to warn people. I'm not sure I would have known to do so without reading about it. I love the internet :D!

I'm very sorry to hear about Momma. She sounds like a really special chameleon. Hopefully it will be a while before I have to deal with the death of my girl...

Dont get too worried yet, jacksons will not eat for up to 2 weeks prior to giving birth(potentially, might be less) - just depends on how it all pans out. Keep her hydrated and let the excitement begin!

She will start to eat right after she gives birth - including her own young if you leave them in there too long and there is nothing else to eat.

Back
Top Bottom