Is plasty dip ok for the cage?

Hello,

I have a 3 month old Veiled and I recently bought him a used cage because the one he had was getting too small and I wanted to give him some more room. It was a really cheap cage that was used for 2 geckos a long while back so I decided to get it and wash it down and redo all of the mesh. Anyway, the cage wasn't looking the best so I decided to plasty dip it. Only did 2 pieces til I realized I was not sure if this would be dangerous for the little guy. Any thoughts? I am probably going to just try and remove it but I wanted to see what everyone thought. Also, I will be upgrading again in the near future, this was just temporary.

I found a link to the safety sheet Here
... it says it contains an ingredient that is toxic to aquatic organisms, but I am not sure if that is just part of the formula that changes once it cures. I haven’t used it and I am a newcomer but I was curious. Plastic solvents and melting or uncured plastics can release so many toxins. I’d err on the side of caution and avoid it unless someone on here has experience and can say for sure it’s ok to use.
The safety sheet is pretty terrifying if you pay attention to it closely...

I found a link to the safety sheet Here
... it says it contains an ingredient that is toxic to aquatic organisms, but I am not sure if that is just part of the formula that changes once it cures. I haven’t used it and I am a newcomer but I was curious. Plastic solvents and melting or uncured plastics can release so many toxins. I’d err on the side of caution and avoid it unless someone on here has experience and can say for sure it’s ok to use.
The safety sheet is pretty terrifying if you pay attention to it closely...
So just to be safe I was going to remove it but I realized I only painted the side that’s facing the outside, not being exposed to him so he should be okay!

Hello,

I have a 3 month old Veiled and I recently bought him a used cage because the one he had was getting too small and I wanted to give him some more room. It was a really cheap cage that was used for 2 geckos a long while back so I decided to get it and wash it down and redo all of the mesh. Anyway, the cage wasn't looking the best so I decided to plasty dip it. Only did 2 pieces til I realized I was not sure if this would be dangerous for the little guy. Any thoughts? I am probably going to just try and remove it but I wanted to see what everyone thought. Also, I will be upgrading again in the near future, this was just temporary.
FlexSeal or Drylok
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/bioactive-mentor.167174/

If you do choose FlexSeal, it requires 1 week to off-gas completely. I know this seems like a long time but applying waterproofing should be done relatively early on in the build so by the time you put the finishing touches on everything you’ll have very little to no time remaining.

Back
Top Bottom