Is my veiled chameleon pregnant????????

Putting feedback in red.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - veiled, female, about seven months, 4 and 1/2 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle you chameleon? Once a day.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Mix of Dubia roaches and crickets, superworms or hornworms as treats, 10-12, every day, This is too much for a female. Over feeding our ladies can cause large clutches which can complicate laying. I hate to tell you to cut down much right now as she’s needing nutrition to properly form and lay the eggs she’s working on. But, I would say for now until she lays her first time, feed just 5-6 feeders every other day. A few days after she lays, you’ll want to cut her down to 3 feeders 3 days a week. flunkers cricket diet and occasionally sweet potatoe. The Fluker’s stiff isn’t very good. The sweet potato is great. Add some more fresh veggies and greens and a bit of fruit and you’ll be good. Attaching both feeder and gutloading sheets to help guide you.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? zoomed calcium without d3 every day, zoomed calcium with d3 every 2 weeks, zoomed multivitamin every 2 weeks. Perfect.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Hand misting, little dripper. You don’t say for how long or how often. Misting should be for at least 2 minutes, 3 times a day and let everything dry out in between.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Dark green or lime green, there are a
  • or of droppings in her cage, never been tester for parasites. Hmm...dark green is not a normal poo color. I’d definitely suggest a wellness vet visit and have a fetal done.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. my chameleon Has lots of moss in her cage and I am working on taking it out now. Excellent!

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Chameleons care kit cage. Mesh screening. Unfortunately the kit enclosure is already too small. She’ll need a minimum 2x2x4’ or equivalent. I like the DIY enclosure better than ReptiBreeze. https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? UVB lamp, day, and night light. Need much more detail here. Is the uvb a screw in bulb? If so, it isn’t able to provide adequate uvb levels any farther than like 2-3” away. You’ll need a linear T5HO fixture with either a 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Like this. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit.html No lights at night!
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 75-80. Ideal basking temp is perfect at 80. At night you do want the enclosure to cool down and she can handle a temp as low as the 60’s.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I don’t measure humidity yet, I I’ll get one soon. This is quite important. Ideal range for daytime is between 30-50%. At night when it’s cooler, you could add a cool mist humidifier and have humidity as high as 100% for naturalistic humidity.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I am using live plants at bottom and fake hanging plants. Needs to be all live plants for same reason as you were told to get rid of the moss. Pothos is excellent for chameleons. Hang the fake on the outside for added sense of privacy.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is on a high table in the corner of my room. Chams feel safest when they are able to be higher than us.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
So your current husbandry isn’t too terrible, but the things I mentioned may be why she’s so dark. She needs more space and I’m going to guess much more plant cover to hide in and branches/vines to travel. The ideal chameleon enclosure should cause you to have to search for a few minutes to find your cham.
She is a bit plump and has her dots on, so most likely she is working on producing some eggs. Attaching the lay bin info too just in case. I find my ladies prefer more spacious bins...at least 12x12” but fill to only about 6-7” with play sand. Once she enters her bin and starts to dig, you’ll have to cover just the visible parts of her enclosure to give her absolute privacy.
8C5EC4C4-B9AB-4AEA-ABCE-4A93F683ED60.jpeg

D5BB926C-67EC-4FD9-AC93-646673461275.jpeg
3915E0DC-518D-412E-AE7B-DCF50B6A7D07.jpeg

Just my opinion- She looks as if she is getting ready to shed. When was the last time she shed? Besides that she is looking great! I would not worry about the egg stuff yet but do educate yourself. Also, learn as much as possible here and watch LOTS of videos.
The advice here is awesome!
Put these eggs inside the female and then worry about the egg stuff but still learn as much as possible and get supplies ready.

3rd pic is 8 months later (yesterday) in their clean out bin... Feed- Eat- Bask- Poop.

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_201441.jpg
    IMG_20200619_201441.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20200623_155951.jpg
    IMG_20200623_155951.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20210126_143420025.jpg
    PXL_20210126_143420025.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 79
Just my opinion- She looks as if she is getting ready to shed. When was the last time she shed? Besides that she is looking great! I would not worry about the egg stuff yet but do educate yourself. Also, learn as much as possible here and watch LOTS of videos.
The advice here is awesome!
Put these eggs inside the female and then worry about the egg stuff but still learn as much as possible and get supplies ready.

3rd pic is 8 months later (yesterday) in their clean out bin... Feed- Eat- Bask- Poop.
Why do I want all of them they’re so cute!! 😍🥺

Yall the cham is only 7 months old and the OP has had it the last almost 5 months. This is the only cham. Therefor they would not be fertile eggs because she was too young to breed when the OP got her.

Gotta read through everything... Then we don't get off track in threads.

Yall the cham is only 7 months old and the OP has had it the last almost 5 months. This is the only cham. Therefor they would not be fertile eggs because she was too young to breed when the OP got her.

I figured but you never know

I think she’s seven months because she was really young when I got her. If anyone knows exactly how old she is that would help A LOT! Thanks.

I think she’s seven months because she was really young when I got her. If anyone knows exactly how old she is that would help A LOT! Thanks.
@kinyonga will probably know but we won’t know exactly since we don’t know her hatch date take pictures of her on a branch so you can see the entire length

There is no way to pin point age... They all grow at different rates. So take the number of months you have had her and add say 3 months if she was only a few inches long when you got her. And then that is your best guess.

Here’s a terrific video from Neptune the chameleon. Be sure to check out her other awesome videos too.

Another fantastic source of info is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ They have info there you didn’t even know that you wanted to know. The podcasts are amazing! Of course, the forum is always here to ask questions, get support and share the joys of having a chameleon. :)

By the way when it said
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Dark green or lime green, there are a
  • or of droppings in her cage, never been tester for parasites. Hmm...dark green is not a normal poo color. I’d definitely suggest a wellness vet visit and have a fetal done.
I thought it meant the color she is....... 😬 ........ her poop is normal colored. (Brown with some white at the tip.)

By the way when it said
I thought it meant the color she is....... 😬 ........ her poop is normal colored. (Brown with some white at the tip.)
Ok...phew! I’d still suggest a vet visit and fecal though.

seems like that was unnecessary.
This was totally unnecessary. Some of our newer members get very passionate and eager about helping. But this really was not a fair or kind comment to make to someone that is brand new trying to find out more information here.
@MissSkittles gave you fantastic feedback in this post https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-my-veiled-chameleon-pregnant.180812/post-1640434

If you have any questions about it please do not hesitate to ask.

This was totally unnecessary. Some of our newer members get very passionate and eager about helping. But this really was not a fair or kind comment to make to someone that is brand new trying to find out more information here.
@MissSkittles gave you fantastic feedback in this post https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/is-my-veiled-chameleon-pregnant.180812/post-1640434

If you have any questions about it please do not hesitate to ask.
So my Cham will be okay. right?

Back
Top Bottom