Is My UVB Bulb/Fixture Safe?

Spiderlash

I have a new Slimline 5.0 UVB fixture on my 5mo. old panther. I've read that most people use Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 UVB for their chams and I've also read that some UVB bulbs can cause UVB burns or other ill effects. I've had him under this bulb for the last two months and he seems fine, but I'm wondering if mine really is a safe bulb to use for my little Nebulas.

What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions?

it all depends, as i keep reading and digesting all the information MOST people go with the linear (size doesnt matter) uvb reptisun 5.0 bulb.

I personally have the CFL 5.0 UVB reptisun bulb and it is about 11" off the cage and in an area where he can move in and out as well as move in and out of the basking light.

While I havent had any problems, i've had two chams under it and neither have/had eye problems with it. BUT as soon as I see the smallest sign of eye problems I am switching it in a heart beat. (switching to linear in the near future).

Track record says ALOT especially when it comes to health and I'm glad I lucked out and didnt get the crappy bulb before I even KNEW that there were problems !

again most people go with consistency, rather then risk it..

it all depends, as i keep reading and digesting all the information MOST people go with the linear (size doesnt matter) uvb reptisun 5.0 bulb.

I personally have the CFL 5.0 UVB reptisun bulb and it is about 11" off the cage and in an area where he can move in and out as well as move in and out of the basking light.

While I havent had any problems, i've had two chams under it and neither have/had eye problems with it. BUT as soon as I see the smallest sign of eye problems I am switching it in a heart beat. (switching to linear in the near future).

Track record says ALOT especially when it comes to health and I'm glad I lucked out and didnt get the crappy bulb before I even KNEW that there were problems !

again most people go with consistency, rather then risk it..

Thanks for the info! My cham can move in and out of the UVB and heat bulb range as well. What are the sight/eye problems you're refering to? What are bad signs to look for?

from what ive been reading there were and may still be lights on the market that can BLIND the chameleon because it is TOO bright for their eyes...

the CFL's had a problem back then with blindness or swollen eyes, from what i was reading people had their chams shutting their eyes and other reptiles doing the same..

maybe someone with a more technical knowledge of the UVB problems with cfl's and other fixtures / bulbs can chime in...

i would monitor your cham constantly to make sure that the ONLY time he/she has their eyes closed is when they are sleeping lol, from what ive been brushing up on thats normal, any other closing of the eyes for no apparent reason...NOT normal lol

from what ive been reading there were and may still be lights on the market that can BLIND the chameleon because it is TOO bright for their eyes...

the CFL's had a problem back then with blindness or swollen eyes, from what i was reading people had their chams shutting their eyes and other reptiles doing the same..

maybe someone with a more technical knowledge of the UVB problems with cfl's and other fixtures / bulbs can chime in...

i would monitor your cham constantly to make sure that the ONLY time he/she has their eyes closed is when they are sleeping lol, from what ive been brushing up on thats normal, any other closing of the eyes for no apparent reason...NOT normal lol

Ok, sounds good. My little guy only closes his eyes when he sleeps, and I've never seen him close his eyes other than him blinking when I mist. My UVB doesn't seem too bright to me, and it is going through the plastic cover on the fixture and through the screen on the top of the enclosure.

Last edited:
I love the fixture as they look nice on top of the cages-BUT-You MUST REMOVE the plastic cover-UVB does not pass through glass or plastic. I have never understood why that fixture comes with a plastic cover. And I have always replaced that bulb with a Reptisun or Reptiglo 5.0.

I love the fixture as they look nice on top of the cages-BUT-You MUST REMOVE the plastic cover-UVB does not pass through glass or plastic. I have never understood why that fixture comes with a plastic cover. And I have always replaced that bulb with a Reptisun or Reptiglo 5.0.

Oh, jeez! Thank you so much for that info! I thought about that when I first got it so I carefully read all the instructions/warnings included with the package and it didn't say ANYWHERE that the UVB doesn't pass through the plastic - just said it was for safety. Hopefully Neb will be ok - that seriously worries me that he may not've been getting UVB this whole two months. :eek: Friggin' instructions left that part out! Grrrrrr . . .

Thanks again! *rips off the plastic cover in exasperation* lol

Last edited:
is it the zilla slimline you have?

It's ESU, with a Zilla 5.0 UVB. But I did put in a special order at my work (pet shop) for a Zoo-Med Reptisun 5.0 UVB, because we're out of them currently. So that should be in next week. I'm not sure I trust Zilla for the UVB; I've read that they're not the best for UVB. o_O

I really hope my little guy will be ok under the Zilla until next Thursday when the Reptisun comes in. :/

Oh, jeez! Thank you so much for that info! I thought about that when I first got it so I carefully read all the instructions/warnings included with the package and it didn't say ANYWHERE that the UVB doesn't pass through the plastic - just said it was for safety. Hopefully Neb will be ok - that seriously worries me that he may not've been getting UVB this whole two months. :eek: Friggin' instructions left that part out! Grrrrrr . . .

Thanks again! *rips off the plastic cover in exasperation* lol

I would recommend reptisun all the same over reptiglow. I have a solar meter and reptisun is the best bang for your buck.

Also if you buy the bulbs on Amazon.com reptisun bulbs are super cheap!!!

Good luck with bulbs!

Back
Top Bottom