Is My setup ok? :(

Avallone

Hello, Iv'e just bought a beautiful male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. His name is "REPTAR". He was born late April,2011. So far I have him two days now and he has eaten 12 crickets yesterday and so far 13 crickets today. The Temperature is 80 degrees with a humidity of 60%. I keep the UVB light along with a 75 watt basking light on from 10:00am-3:00pm. I don't have a drip system but I do spray/mist the cage (18,18,20) evey 3-4 hours until my fake plants are dripping. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen him drink and I NEEED to be sure he is hydrated. Anyone who has something to say in order to improve my enclosure please let me know Thank you

Times for lights vary with your Sunrise time, my Chams started getting up early in Summer, so lights go on earlier........12 hours a day on, 12 off. That's a high wattage basking bulb for a small Viv - what are your basking/ ambient temps gradient? And in answer to your question - check his poop, if the urate section is white, he is hydrated.....if yellowish, then its like you having yellow urine (not properly hydrated, don't panic......).
If the urate is orange, then action needs to be taken to give extra hydration - more mist, shower, pipettte,...............

Poop should have a big brown bit and a littler white bit (the urate)

This is a duplicate thread tho.......:D

Upload some pictures of the enclosure and cham and answer the questions below and you will get good advice on keeping your boy. Congrats.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info: CAGE with two airways
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 18,18,20
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Zilla UVB, zoo med basking 75 watt
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Its 70-75 degrees the PM and from morning till 5:00 is usually 80-85
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I MIST NONSTOP like an automatic mister. Its at 70%
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? no live plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In my room not near any fans. its about 52inches from floor to top of cage.
Location - Where are you geographically located? NEW JERSEY

I'd lower the basking spot to 80 to 81 and get rid of the Zilla bulb. They have caused problems with chams in the past. You probably want need a basking light at all this young. How are you checking the temps? What are you using for gutload? For supplements? You need a live plant to keep up the humidity and the cage needs to be dry between mistings.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/zilla-hood-no-good-52490/ (See post #10)

They need a 12 hour on 12 hour off. Mine are on at 8am off at 8pm. I would lower the basking bulb watt too. Supplments, gutloading, etc... as others have said needs to be done.

Back
Top Bottom