Is my panther a vegetarian, or just conservative?

Ethen44

M'kay, my male panther chameleon that I have had for about 3 months (he's 7 months old) has been eating his Wandering Jew plant on the daily. Just a big bite here and there. WHY is he doing this? I feel like I should punish him when he does it by spraying water at him. I could of sworn when I got this guy he was strictly insectivorous, and now he's going all liberal on me.

I dust his feeders (rusty reds, silkies, crickets, baby dubias, green anal hornworms, and supers) with calcium every other feeding, and calcium with d3, as well as a multi vit twice a month. He gets misted 3x a day, has adequate lighting, humidity, and heat. I'm so confused you guys, please enlighten me. If it is of any consultation he has been eating mainly dead leaves off the plant.

Your chameleon is young and probably just checking out stuff in his environment. You should prune any dead leaves out of the cage daily so that he doesn't have the chance to eat them. If he really wants to eat the plant, he can have the fresh leaves and that is fine. You could also try clipping up some greens and veggie slices to tempt him. As long as he is still eating his bugs, this isn't an issue.

Side note, your vocabulary home work is "conservative", "liberal", and "consultation". What is a green anal hornworm?

Ethan, where are you from, if I might ask.

Kenya, the horn on a hornworm is called an "anal horn" due to its location. It doesn't surprise me that in some parts of the world they might go by the name "anal hornworm".

Side note, your vocabulary home work is "conservative", "liberal", and "consultation". What is a green anal hornworm?

Ha, well first off I'm no politician. "Consultation" was a typo, I was going for consolation, which is still a stretch for proper use of the term. I get careless with my words all the time, my friends make a constant mockery of my false intellect haha. However, I wasn't posting with the hopes of improving my diction or doing any vocab homework;) That being said, I appreciate your help, and I'll get to removing all the dead leaves.

Green Anal Hornworm is the Manduca Sexta by the way, like I said, I get careless with wordz all ze time. ;) Thank you my forum mentors. Maybe you all can teach me how to multi quote so I can be a little more specific to whom I'm talking to. Tooooooootlez

I gotcha, I actually do the same thing at times, especially if I am trying to multi-task and speak. It can be kind of hilarious and embarrassing.

I had never heard hornworms referred to as "green anal hornworms" but I understand why they would be called such.

Are you going to try offering your chameleon some veggie slices? I bet he would enjoy it if he likes eating leaves from his furniture.

As for multi-quote, I am about as useless at that as I am at multi-tasking.

Back
Top Bottom