Is my panther a male or female?

Joy&waldo

Thank you for letting me join. I'm hoping you all can help so I know how to raise for proper adult hood.The store I got it from said male because at 9wks it had some pinkish red on its belly and some green behind it's eye but now looking at all you are discussing I'm worried it maybe a female. It is about 11wks old now. I am grateful I have well established roach colonies for him to eat from he picks and chooses his own food. I want to say thank you for being here for people like me that are learning a whole new reptile species.

Attachments

• 20210117_131446.jpg
    20210117_131446.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20210117_131441.jpg
    20210117_131441.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210117_131420.jpg
    20210117_131420.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 20210117_131406.jpg
    20210117_131406.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 110
Thank you for letting me join. I'm hoping you all can help so I know how to raise for proper adult hood.The store I got it from said male because at 9wks it had some pinkish red on its belly and some green behind it's eye but now looking at all you are discussing I'm worried it maybe a female. It is about 11wks old now. I am grateful I have well established roach colonies for him to eat from he picks and chooses his own food. I want to say thank you for being here for people like me that are learning a whole new reptile species.
Female.

Why did the store sell you a chameleon less than 3 months old? Also, if you want your husbandry reviewed to make sure everything is in tip-top shape, you can fill out this form and post pics of the cage and lights!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

1.Panther chameleon about 11wks old had for 2 wks now.
2.I held it yesterday when it climbed onto my hand after feeding from cup.
3.I feed nymph lobster or dubia roaches. I try to feed 2-3 times a day. Lobsters it will eat about 20 each time dubias it eats less of because of size difference maybe 5 or so. They eat roach chow and fresh greens along with squash and carrots.
4.I dust with calcium without D and I have not yet done other vitamins since it has only been 2wks.
5.I spray the pen down first thing in the morning then twice through out the day. I have a fogger on top that helps with humidity plus it let's water droplets develope on the screen which then drips onto a plant I have in there for him to also drink from. I have seen him drink from the flower pedals.
6.The fecal looks good dark brown you could say with white urine. No pesticide testing yet we will be going to the vet shortly to get a full look over and sample done then. All my reptiles must see the vet once they enter my house but first for stress reasons I wait about a month for them to acclimate to there new home before I stress them out more. So when they come back they have there (safe place) back.
Cage
1.Screen med size chameleon cage from Zoo med it was a chameleon kit.16x16x30.
2. The lighting that came with the kit i use. It goes on around 7am and off 7pm.
3.Basking is 91 F, middle is 79 F, floor is 72 F. At night I have a 60w heat emitter I added to the kit so Temps stay around 80 F in the top section. I have digital gages I switch out and around to check all over the pen so make sure all is good.
4.They range from in the 80% range down to 50% before I spray again. I also have 2 different digital meters I use for that as well. I always make sure the pen dries I between spray downs. Like I said before I do have a fogger as well to help.
5.No live plants yet. I always am nervous I will get the wrong kind or not prep them right. Plus not sure where to get from besides home dopt.
6.My cage is at the one end of my house where my bedroom is. Opposite from my main entrance way but where I always stop to check in. The top of the pen is just above my eye level which then makes the basking branch my eye level. No vents or fans in that area as well.
7. I live in NJ

Attachments

• 16109242511854520715901508115818.jpg
    16109242511854520715901508115818.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 92
3.I feed nymph lobster or dubia roaches. I try to feed 2-3 times a day. Lobsters it will eat about 20 each time dubias it eats less of because of size difference maybe 5 or so. They eat roach chow and fresh greens along with squash and carrots.
4.I dust with calcium without D and I have not yet done other vitamins since it has only been 2wks.
5.I spray the pen down first thing in the morning then twice through out the day. I have a fogger on top that helps with humidity plus it let's water droplets develope on the screen which then drips onto a plant I have in there for him to also drink from. I have seen him drink from the flower pedals.
6.The fecal looks good dark brown you could say with white urine. No pesticide testing yet we will be going to the vet shortly to get a full look over and sample done then. All my reptiles must see the vet once they enter my house but first for stress reasons I wait about a month for them to acclimate to there new home before I stress them out more. So when they come back they have there (safe place) back.
Cage
1.Screen med size chameleon cage from Zoo med it was a chameleon kit.16x16x30.
2. The lighting that came with the kit i use. It goes on around 7am and off 7pm.
3.Basking is 91 F, middle is 79 F, floor is 72 F. At night I have a 60w heat emitter I added to the kit so Temps stay around 80 F in the top section. I have digital gages I switch out and around to check all over the pen so make sure all is good.
4.They range from in the 80% range down to 50% before I spray again. I also have 2 different digital meters I use for that as well. I always make sure the pen dries I between spray downs. Like I said before I do have a fogger as well to help.
5.No live plants yet. I always am nervous I will get the wrong kind or not prep them right. Plus not sure where to get from besides home dopt.
6.My cage is at the one end of my house where my bedroom is. Opposite from my main entrance way but where I always stop to check in. The top of the pen is just above my eye level which then makes the basking branch my eye level. No vents or fans in that area as well.
7. I live in NJ
Some tips from one keeper to another...

1.) It is fine for right now, but you will for sure want to upgrade your cage to a bigger size within a few months. She will quickly out grow that cage.
2.) Get a linear uvb light, those spiral lights are no good.
3.) Get rid of the fake plants and add some real ones. Make sure they are safe for chameleons, i recommend golden pothos, umbrella plants, i have a tree in my enclosure haha.
4.) Zip tie a small plastic container to the inside of her cage, make sure it is up higher. I notice you have a food bowl at the bottom of your enclosure.
5.) Is that a waterbowl? She won't drink from that, you need to mist her three times a day. Once before lights come on, once in the middle of the day, once after the lights go out.

Looks like you might be a new keeper, ask as many questions as you can! Get it right the first time they are very sensitive animals and require special care and husbandry to keep them from stressing, injuries, etc.

Some tips from one keeper to another...

1.) It is fine for right now, but you will for sure want to upgrade your cage to a bigger size within a few months. She will quickly out grow that cage.
2.) Get a linear uvb light, those spiral lights are no good.
3.) Get rid of the fake plants and add some real ones. Make sure they are safe for chameleons, i recommend golden pothos, umbrella plants, i have a tree in my enclosure haha.
4.) Zip tie a small plastic container to the inside of her cage, make sure it is up higher. I notice you have a food bowl at the bottom of your enclosure.
5.) Is that a waterbowl? She won't drink from that, you need to mist her three times a day. Once before lights come on, once in the middle of the day, once after the lights go out.

Looks like you might be a new keeper, ask as many questions as you can! Get it right the first time they are very sensitive animals and require special care and husbandry to keep them from stressing, injuries, etc.
1.I have a 2x2x4 ft cage waiting i just didn't want the baby lost in it.
2.I will get the strip light for the large pen just using what I got with this one.
3.I will work on the real plants just need to get my courage up on that one.
4.I actually just keep it down there empty because I have been holding it so I know the baby is eating. I know bad mommy but I can't help it.
5.And the dish on the bottom is just to catch the drips from the fake orchid that the fogger gets drips and drips on that. I empty it 3 times a day so it never has water to deep in it just incase she wonders all the way down there. I said in my last post I do mist 2 to 3 times a day for drinking and humidity purposes. They say don't let the drips go all over so I try not to saturate the bottom of the pen.

Thanks! My feedback and any questions will be in red:

4.I dust with calcium without D and I have not yet done other vitamins since it has only been 2wks. Does your calcium have phosphorus with it? What other supplements do you have? A good schedule is use a multivitamin with D3 (like Zoo Med Reptivite with D3) once every two weeks, and phosphorus-free and D3-free pure calcium (like Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3) on every feeding (except when using the multivitamin with D3).
5.I spray the pen down first thing in the morning then twice through out the day. I have a fogger on top that helps with humidity plus it let's water droplets develope on the screen which then drips onto a plant I have in there for him to also drink from. I have seen him drink from the flower pedals. How long do you spray for? A humidifier should only be used at night and properly cleaned thoroughly and often.
Cage
1.Screen med size chameleon cage from Zoo med it was a chameleon kit.16x16x30. Eventually your cham will need an enclosure at least 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tall, preferably 4’ x 2’ x 4’ tall or bigger. If your cham is a female, she’ll need a proper lay bin in her cage 24/7.
2. The lighting that came with the kit i use. It goes on around 7am and off 7pm. So both lights in the Zoo Med Chameleon Kit are bad. You’ll need a linear fixture (T8 or T5 High Output-preferably T5 HO) that is either the length of your cham’s adult cage or a foot longer (same length to go straight across the middle on the top or a foot longer to go diagonal) and a linear UVB bulb of a matching length (strength depends on the strength of the fixture, only use either Arcadia or Zoo Med for brands-if you go with a T5 HO fixture, get an Arcadia 6% and either raise the fixture or lower the basking branch or both to achieve a 8-9” distance between them). If you use a Zoo Med, the UVB linear bulb will need to be replaced at max 6 months of use, while Arcadia’s is at max once a year. Either way, definitely invest in the Solarmeter 6.5 UVI meter! Replace the blue bulb with a regular white light household incandescent bulb. The wattage depends on your cage and household temps and what you need to get the basking branch the correct temp. Try to keep an 8-9” distance between the heat bulb and basking branch, too, You’ll have to play around with wattages until you get the correct one.
3.Basking is 91 F, middle is 79 F, floor is 72 F. At night I have a 60w heat emitter I added to the kit so Temps stay around 80 F in the top section. I have digital gages I switch out and around to check all over the pen so make sure all is good. Basking is way too high! I haven’t had a panther baby that young, so someone else will have to tell you the correct basking temp. Definitely don’t go over 85*F though. Take out the heat emitter ASAP! They are known to cause burns and aren‘t needed unless temps get below 60*F at night. Chameleons actually need a nighttime temp drop.
4.They range from in the 80% range down to 50% before I spray again. I also have 2 different digital meters I use for that as well. I always make sure the pen dries I between spray downs. Like I said before I do have a fogger as well to help. Keep the humidity between 50-60/70% for the day. It can go up to 100% at night. Again, use the fogger at night only.
5.No live plants yet. I always am nervous I will get the wrong kind or not prep them right. Plus not sure where to get from besides home dopt. The Chameleon Academy and FL Chams both have great chameleon-safe plant lists, I’ll link them at the end, along with other helpful links and care images. I use Physan to prepare my plants (make sure to rinse off all plants in clean water thoroughly and multiple times afterwards!). People also use dilted bleach or hydrogen peroxide and more to clean their plants. Get rocks too big for your chameleon to eat to cover the soil in the pots. Live plants add much needed foliage to drink off of and hide in, plus help add and stabilize humidity.
7. I live in NJ

1.I have a 2x2x4 ft cage waiting i just didn't want the baby lost in it. Honestly, put your cham in there now.
2.I will get the strip light for the large pen just using what I got with this one.
3.I will work on the real plants just need to get my courage up on that one.
4.I actually just keep it down there empty because I have been holding it so I know the baby is eating. I know bad mommy but I can't help it. As @userBandit said, bring the feeder up higher. Chams prefer to eat up higher, it isn’t natural for them to go down to get food.
5.And the dish on the bottom is just to catch the drips from the fake orchid that the fogger gets drips and drips on that. I empty it 3 times a day so it never has water to deep in it just incase she wonders all the way down there. I said in my last post I do mist 2 to 3 times a day for drinking and humidity purposes. They say don't let the drips go all over so I try not to saturate the bottom of the pen. Install a proper drainage system outside of the cage instead.

You need TONS more branches, vines, and plants throughout your cage! Definitely switch to your bigger cage and get the proper lights and cage furnishings ASAP, too! Here’s great links:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/external-resources/
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2012/04/how-to-set-up-proper-chameleon.html
https://www.madcham.de/en/
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 77
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    98E70BB5-21F9-4E64-B1A3-7C8287BAE040.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 89
Thank you everyone for all the help. I will get the new larger pen set up ASAP and be brave and get those live plants going as well. All new lighting as well.

Thank you everyone for all the help. I will get the new larger pen set up ASAP and be brave and get those live plants going as well. All new lighting as well.
Great! If you have any other questions, concerns, clarifications, etc, don’t hesitate to ask!

Back
Top Bottom