Is my new chameleon healthy? I am worried I am not doing things correctly.

Blmelton

Established Member
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, age unknown. She has been in my care 4 days?
  • Handling - only while taking the pictures for my previous post?
  • Feeding - crickets, mealworms. I have offered squash & kale but she did not eat it. She eats crickets-6-10 per day...split into two feedings with 1 or 2 left over from morning feeding for her to snack on during the day. She has eaten them every day before the second feeding. I have removed any not eaten after the 2nd feeding. I hand fed her 2 mealworms with her meal this morning. I noticed she won't go to her bowl to eat. I am feeding once about 8 am and once about 3 pm. The crickets have been given squash, kale, & oranges. The mealworms are in some type of flakes (not sure if it is oats or what they are in) Brand of mealworms-timberline from PetSmart.
  • Supplements - Zoo Med Repti Calcium-we decided on Mon, Wed, & Fri to keep on a schedule.
  • Watering -drip 2-3 times a day for aprox 20-30 minutes. Hand spray 2-3 times a day for aprox 5 minutes. I have only seen her drink twice in 3 days?
  • Fecal Description - She has only pooped once but had brown feces with mostly white urates. It had a tiny amount of yellow/orange, but it was very little compared to the amount of white. She has not ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - The pet store said they had her in the back due to space and they frequently handled and hand fed her. I have been keeping handling to a minimum since she has been here only a few days and I don't want to stress her.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 30 inches by 15 inches screen Zoo Med cage?
  • Lighting - Currently using the lighting that came with the cage-ZooMed daylight blue (60 watt heat bulb) and Reptisun 5.0 (13 watt uvb bulb) Lighting is on a timer that turns on from 7 am -7 pm.
  • Temperature - basking spot from 83-87degrees. I have noticed it reaching 90 occasionally. Floor is 75 degrees. Lowest overnight temp- 68 degrees. I measure the temps with the digital thermometer that came with the cage but just saw on here that they can be unreliable so I sent my husband to go find his temperature gun.
  • Humidity - Humidity level unknown. Misting 2-3 times daily for aprox 5 minutes each.
  • Plants - mostly artificial plants but I do have a live pothos in there.
  • Placement - The cage is not near an air vent. It is in my bedroom. The cage is sitting on the floor temporarily until I find a spot or stand. The top of the cage is 30 inches from the floor.
  • Location - South Carolina

Current Problem - I am worried she looks too thin and isn't drinking much (at least while I am watching). I also would like to know an approximate age and if she looks stressed or appears to have any other health issues such as bone disease or anything else that may look obvious from the pictures. I want to do what is best for her but I am spending most of my day fussing over her and worrying about her. I am probably stressing her just staring at her all day.

Attachments

• IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2969.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2971.JPG
    IMG_2971.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Feeding - crickets, mealworms. I have offered squash & kale but she did not eat it. She eats crickets-6-10 per day...split into two feedings with 1 or 2 left over from morning feeding for her to snack on during the day. She has eaten them every day before the second feeding. I have removed any not eaten after the 2nd feeding. I hand fed her 2 mealworms with her meal this morning. I noticed she won't go to her bowl to eat. I am feeding once about 8 am and once about 3 pm. The crickets have been given squash, kale, & oranges. The mealworms are in some type of flakes (not sure if it is oats or what they are in) Brand of mealworms-timberline from PetSmart.
  • Supplements - Zoo Med Repti Calcium-we decided on Mon, Wed, & Fri to keep on a schedule.
Mealworms are hard to digest and should not be used regularly, only as a treat every once in a while. Try some other ones like roaches, waxworms, silkworms, (more on the veiled care sheet). Commercial gutloads are very good for feeders and they also give the feeders more liquids. That way you make sure your cham gets all the necessary nutrients.
Supplements - Zoo Med Repti Calcium-we decided on Mon, Wed, & Fri to keep on a schedule.
You should give supplements without D3 with every feeding (dust all feeders) and multivitamin and calcium with D3 every two weeks.

I noticed you had a compact coil bulb. You should by a T5 linear bulb instead. That way you make sure you cham gets all the UVB she needs. Also get a hygrometer because it's important to monitor the humidity.
Everything else seems fine to me!

Mealworms are hard to digest and should not be used regularly, only as a treat every once in a while. Try some other ones like roaches, waxworms, silkworms, (more on the veiled care sheet). Commercial gutloads are very good for feeders and they also give the feeders more liquids. That way you make sure your cham gets all the necessary nutrients.

You should give supplements without D3 with every feeding (dust all feeders) and multivitamin and calcium with D3 every two weeks.

I noticed you had a compact coil bulb. You should by a T5 linear bulb instead. That way you make sure you cham gets all the UVB she needs. Also get a hygrometer because it's important to monitor the humidity.
Everything else seems fine to me!
Thanks so much for your advice. I have ordered the items you suggested. They should be here on Saturday. Is there a difference in brands of bulbs or are they all ok as long as they say UVB for reptiles?

Feed superrworms NOT MEALWORMS they will cause impactions! get roaches, hornworms,silkworms,waxworms, and bsfl! Its okay if she doesn't eat veggies.
When she get solder get a 2x2x4
Humidity should be around 60%
Add more live plants and in general.
She looks great and she looks kinda plump for a baby! Maybe boost your calcium if she find she doesn't stand right on your hand or if her crest curves! To be noted mine is shy and won't drink in front of me unless i'm hiding @Blmelton

Thanks so much for your advice. I have ordered the items you suggested. They should be here on Saturday. Is there a difference in brands of bulbs or are they all ok as long as they say UVB for reptiles?
I would get a Zoo Med or Arcadia linear 5.0 T5 UVB bulb.

Back
Top Bottom