Is my little “dude” a male or female?

I bought my first Cham about a month ago, and (s)he is about 5.5-6 months old now. I’ve been questioning whether or not they are a male or female. I’ve checked for Spurs although I can never really get a good look.

Attachments

• F132E58D-C4B3-44BE-B69E-4F0222150624.jpeg
    F132E58D-C4B3-44BE-B69E-4F0222150624.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 101
  • E4AD3A4B-7DEA-4039-A748-EB94954FC3C8.jpeg
    E4AD3A4B-7DEA-4039-A748-EB94954FC3C8.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 4573AFEF-83C0-4601-B00F-083FC24577E0.jpeg
    4573AFEF-83C0-4601-B00F-083FC24577E0.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 99
Hello! I see some issues with husbandry in the photos please fill out this form. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I think your chameleon is a female due to no bulge at the tail base and it looks like she has no spurs. Though it is extremely hard to tell for sure based on these pics given because the first pic (which is really good btw) hides the feet and the last two pics are too far away. But I still think it is a she. Her colors, her calm demeanor, smaller casque for a mature cham.

I have a few suggestions on your cage setup:

1) Veiled chameleons are notorious for eating plant leaves. Unfortunately, they don't understand that fake leaves are no good. If they end up ingesting a fake leaf, they will get impacted and die. So i would recommend that your remove the plants asap. Instead, add live plants. She can eat them if she wants without worry of impaction; the plant will keep in humidity; and the plant will provide much needed privacy to make her feel more comfortable and secure.

2) Add more branches to utilize the entire cage. She will thank you for it.

And if she is in fact a she, you need to get her a lay bin so she can lay eggs. Just like chickens, veiled chameleons lay infertile clutches of eggs without the presence of a male. Without a proper lay-bin, she could get eggbound and die.

Regular desk lamp on side.. I have basking and heat light up top- above the enclosure.
Sadly, there are a lot of husbandry issues visible, so filling out the ask for help form in as much detail as possible would be great! We just want to make sure your chameleon is getting the best care you can possibly give him/her! Pictures of him/her (including a side view of the back of his/her back feet) , his/her full enclosure (from lights to bottom), and his/her lights would be helpful, as well.

I bought my first Cham about a month ago, and (s)he is about 5.5-6 months old now. I’ve been questioning whether or not they are a male or female. I’ve checked for Spurs although I can never really get a good look.
You’ve got great responses above but I’m wondering what’s on the hammock and the screen? I don’t feed dubias usually but that looks different but maybe it’s just me. The hammock looks really dirty, I actually have the same one from a beardie cage that I bought. I’ll paste the husbandry form so maybe you can fill it out and correct your cage with the help of the people on here. Also I think it’s a female like the others, I have a female and when she gets mad at something she’ll get those black spots.

Hello, She does look like a female but to confirm please post a better picture of her/his back foot. Attached is a picture of a what I am looking for if it is a male. If you see this "spur" then its a boy.

tarsal-spur-with-arrow.jpg

• Veiled Cham, sex unknown, roughly 5.5 months old. Has been in my care since Dec 29th.
  • Handling - Past week, they have been really comfortable coming out of the enclosure and exploring. Never came out before then.
  • Feeding - I feed my Cham a mix of greens, carrots, (occasionally blueberries), meal worms, super worms, horn worms, crickets, and now I am moving to black fly larvae as well. I try not to give him too many of the super worms- I’ve heard they cause digestive issues. I feed him a mix 2-3 times a day. When he wakes up, midday, and before bed. I’ve purchased food from Fluke’s to help feed the feeders & I occasionally put carrots and other veggies in there.
  • Supplements - I am currently using Repticalcium (w/o D3) & Reptivite (w D3). I had been using the Exoterra multi vitamin but I heard that can cause issues if used too much (please tell me if that info is correct for veileds)! I put calcium on everything I feed & use the D3 supplements 1-2 a week.
  • Watering - I use a spray bottle to mist (every 2 hours ish) and I have a dripper set up that drips into a live plant at the bottom. My Cham has no problem drinking- I might not see him drink for a day or two but he’s never completely turned away from it.
  • Fecal Description - Fecal matter looks healthy- solid color & the urine (I believe) is white with clear liquid. I do not believe they have been tested for parasites although I am planning on getting the veterinary insurance to have them checked up.
  • history- I purchased Jumanji from a Pet Supplies Plus and they had no idea how old they are or the gender. They’ll advertise their chams at 3-4 mo old but I’ve seen chams hatchling size there. So their age is a rough estimate.

Cage Info: I AM CURRENTLY BUILDING THE NEW ENCLOSURE!
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I currently have Ji in a screen enclosure. It is one of the starter kit ones (I know, big no no. It had been gifted to me as a birthday present hence why I’m currently building the new enclosure) measurements: 16in L x 16in W x 30in H
  • NEW ENCLOSURE WILL BE: 32in L x 24 in W x 67 in H
  • Lighting - Currently still using the Zoo Med lights that came with the kit (again I know, huge no no) I try to stay on the 12/12 cycle (12 hours of basking/light and 12 hours of night/sleep time)
  • NEW LIGHTING FOR NEW ENCLOSURE: I will be getting a Linear light- either a 10.0 Reptisun or 12% Arcadia w UVB.
  • Temperature - Cage floor stays around 72-75 and basking spot (top of enclosure) stays around 88-90. Lowest overnight temp is 65 as that’s as low it gets in my house. I have a temp monitor that I can move to each part of the cage to record the temp.
  • Humidity - Humidity levels Always stay around/a little above 60. I have a live potted plant (organic soil) to help maintain the humidity & I have put a kind of plastic wrap on only the back side to keep moisture. I have a humidity gauge that is Velcro- I can detect any part of the cage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? I am using a live potted plant. It is a kind of pothos (not exactly sure what kind it didn’t have a label)
  • Placement -The enclosure is located upstairs in my bedroom. Not near any fans or vents and traffic is barely an issue here. It is on a desk so at the moment it is touching where it leans into the ceiling. (I have a different, taller wall the new enclosure will be going against). The top of the cage is a little over 5 ft from the floor.
  • Location - I am currently located in lower Michigan.

Current Problem - Wishing to find the gender of this awesome Cham. Thanks! **I AM TRYING MY HARDEST TO GET A PIC OF THE BACK OF THEIR FEET BUT THEY ARE A LITTLE FIESTY TODAY***
D789FDDC-5A33-4274-A3AF-54963123B398.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 68
image.jpg

i do plan on getting all live plants for/with the new enclosure. The hammock thing gets dirty from me dumping their food on it (but it does get cleaned daily). I just have it there because I found they like eating from their basking spot.

View attachment 290465
i do plan on getting all live plants for/with the new enclosure. The hammock thing gets dirty from me dumping their food on it (but it does get cleaned daily). I just have it there because I found they like eating from their basking spot.
The substrate is unnecessary and dangerous take it out! I’ll let others help you I am needed in another thread I’m multitasking but I’ll come back right when I’m done

The substrate is unnecessary and dangerous take it out! I’ll let others help you I am needed in another thread I’m multitasking but I’ll come back right when I’m done
Thank you! I found the substrate is definitely NOT the best. I will be changing it tomorrow!

I’m not a pro, but when it comes to the lighting I’ve seen it stressed to get the 5 or 6%. The 10-12% might be too strong and is only recommended for enclosures with aggressive plant coverage. When building I also suggest checking out FB marketplace to see if you can get some handy stuff for cheaper. I managed to find my mistking from someone 20 minutes away from me for only $100

Back
Top Bottom