Is my Jackson gravid

brownie64

Avid Member
She has been with my male for almost three months do to not getting the enclosure finished. I never seen anything happen, or did she ever seem receptive, but she does look fat what do you think?:confused:

prom 058.jpg

I am yet to witness my jax mate or see a female act receptive to a head bob. That being said, have had several litters. I do try to leave them alone more so than the others though. They stay upstairs in the loft corner away from anyone and anything. Just as a precaution.

Well seeing as this is the only reply I received on this, and it sort of leans towards her being gravid. I'll take it everyone must agree, so I'll keep a watch on her thanks. And to the one reply I did get I sincerely thank you for your time.

It's a little hard to tell, but if they've been in there for that long together and shes of breeding age, then she could very well be gravid. How is she reacting to the male now?

It's a little hard to tell, but if they've been in there for that long together and shes of breeding age, then she could very well be gravid. How is she reacting to the male now?

before I removed her she wouldn't let him anywhere near him. She would get real dark splotches and sway back and forth with her mouth open. As far as breeding age one member told me they were nearly full grown when I got them, and I've had them for a little over 4 months. Now she has slowed way down on her eating to about 3 superworms a weak, and won't even entertain a cricket. I read somewhere that this could be a sign that she could be ready to give birth any thought on that? I really appreciate your input I really need to know if she is gravid I have raised veiled chameleons before, but these Jacksons are no veiled. I have tried to search this site on how to care for them, but could use some more pointers. I'll give a view over top of her maybe that will give you guys a better view of how fat she is, and maybe you can with your vast knowledge give me an approximate time of delivery if she is even graved at all. It was so much easier with the veiled they would just change colors to rival the males and then you new.

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• bonnie 002.jpg
    bonnie 002.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 336
  • bonnie 001.jpg
    bonnie 001.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 191
wow, from these pictures shes pretty plump! I'd say shes gravid, based on her size, her reaction to the male, and her decreased appetite. I'm not sure how long gestation is for jacksons, but my girls are livebearers as well and gestation is longer than egg layers. I believe gestation for jacksons is around 9 months, but don't quote me on that. There are seasoned jackson keepers on this forum, and hopefully they can give you some pointers?

Check out the jacksons caresheet under care resources for some additional info. That should help answer some of your questions:)

Heres a direct quote from the jacksons care sheet about breeding:

Female Jackson's Chameleons

Egg Laying & Breeding
Interestingly Jackson's chameleons do not lay eggs but are viviparous (give birth to live young) after a 6-9 month gestation! Since they do not lay eggs a laying bin does not need to be provided. They can however drop "slugs", which are the membranes and yolk around an egg was never fertilized. A single breeding may produce several clutches from the same pairing due to sperm retention by the female. A few weeks before giving birth the female will usually have decreased appetite or stop eating and become restless. Average clutch size is 7-30 young. The young are born amongst leaves and branches wrapped in a membrane that they need to break open once born. Neonates should be immediately removed from the cage with the mother as predation on the young has been known to occur. The males are born with small nubs where their horns will grow in the future. Babies reach sexual maturity at about 9 months of age.

Based on her size she may well be gravid, her behaviour also seems to indicate she is. I am in a similar position with a female but mine I believe is still too young to be gravid. My female also looks quite plump though. I would get ready for little ones in case. She could be a mom soon and you don't want to get caught when you not ready. So pack the baby bag in case :)

Really only two ways to figure it out. Xrays and feeling her stomach. Neither of which i am a fan of. I always try to check on my female jax first in the morning. Make sure no babies, temps are in check, fogger isn't going crazy, etc... That being said, you can gently feel her belly and sides. You will be able tell if pregnant, pretty easily. That being said, you can run the risk of stressing her, which can lead to premies. IMO, the only thing to do, is let nature takes it course. Since, they are live bearing, no need for laying bin panic. And jax require less supplements than others, so need going overboard on Ca and D3. They really are a species best left alone. After several litters, you will be able to recognize whether or not your female jax is preganant just by looking at her. It is hard to describe, but there is definitely a difference in robustness and color.

Now the fun starts!

Well I can definitely report she was gravid. She gave birth to 15 neonates today!:eek: I got a 30 gallon tank put a plant in it with some sticks for them to get around on, and put a UVB CFL in the tank about 11" from the top of the plant. The temps at the top are around 79 degrees, and about 70 ambient with them being Jackson's I was thinking this is plenty worm you think? I know the tank may be a little large but it was one I already had. Got some fruit fly's at the pet store, and have seen a quite a few eat. Some seem a little tired and are sleeping hope that isn't an issue. So far they are all living, and mom is drinking a lot, and slammed two large superworms, and a fly that happened to get too close so I think she pulled through great. This is my first rodeo with baby Jackson's so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll post some picks tomorrow their all asleep right now. Looks like most are males.:cool:

Just a bump here???? Isn't no one going to tell me how cute these little babies are, or if they look healthy or not? I thought you all liked babies.

Babies are cool. :) congrats
I just had a litter myself on the same date.
I personally think baby Jackson's are the best. They are not as shy and are very friendly compared to all the other species of chameleons.

If I put my hand in their cage they will gladly come to me and climb on.
Do your do the same thing??

Babies are cool. :) congrats
I just had a litter myself on the same date.
I personally think baby Jackson's are the best. They are not as shy and are very friendly compared to all the other species of chameleons.

If I put my hand in their cage they will gladly come to me and climb on.
Do your do the same thing??

Yeah they are real receptive to that, they will climb on you when you don't expect it you kinda got make sure they aren't on you if you're taking your arm out of their enclosure. Not afraid at all real friendly. Hope the stay that way. Mom and Dad are friendly but a little timid still around me, and downright scared around strangers.:D

Now when I had baby veiled some would come out of the egg hissing.

Babies

These are adorable, and definitely healthy looking. Congratulations! Try being patient in getting responses. Lots of people work, have kids, etc.:D

These are adorable, and definitely healthy looking. Congratulations! Try being patient in getting responses. Lots of people work, have kids, etc.:D

Thanks for the compliment. I totally get the working, and having kids I have a 4 year old myself. If I came off a little pushy wasn't my intention, and I apologize. Just was proud and wanted you all to see my babies.;)

Back
Top Bottom