Is my female gravid? /proper egg laying setup

Jpmoel01

Hello all, I’ve had my Cham for a little over a year (she’s about 1 years 2 months) and so far I haven’t seen any signs of being pregnant but I think I do now. She was very active for a day, almost as if she was looking for a place to lay eggs, but has hardly moved today and she hasnt eaten in 2 days (whereas she always eats immediately), I also noticed a different color pattern on her and that she looks a little bloated in the back but feeling and handling her I can’t tell for sure if she’s carrying eggs, I have a laybin set up but I think I’m going to rearrange her plant and the bin so that I can get a bigger, deeper one. Basically I’d just like to know some signs to look for and for some tips on what to expect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 153
I'm not very familiar with females but I see moss and a reptile hammock which are both no no's. How big is your lay bin? What do you use in it? Can you also fill this out please 🙂

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Please post a couple more photos of her so we can see all of her from the side...and of the lay bin. What's the substrate in the laybin?

Hello all, I’ve had my Cham for a little over a year (she’s about 1 years 2 months) and so far I haven’t seen any signs of being pregnant but I think I do now. She was very active for a day, almost as if she was looking for a place to lay eggs, but has hardly moved today and she hasnt eaten in 2 days (whereas she always eats immediately), I also noticed a different color pattern on her and that she looks a little bloated in the back but feeling and handling her I can’t tell for sure if she’s carrying eggs, I have a laybin set up but I think I’m going to rearrange her plant and the bin so that I can get a bigger, deeper one. Basically I’d just like to know some signs to look for and for some tips on what to expect.
She will become green and black and about a day or two before laying she will start digging and or scratching at surfaces

First time mine layed I didn't even know if it was male or female..she layed them after only two days of owning her with no type of bin..she layed them on the floor..its been 4 months now and she is already gravid again..I'm expecting her to lay anywhere from now till August

Attachments

• 20210223_205448.jpg
    20210223_205448.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 147
Gravid for sure

Please post a couple more photos of her so we can see all of her from the side...and of the lay bin. What's the substrate in the laybin?
It’s play sand, moistened, but tbh I’m not sure what the correct amount of moisture would feel like or look like, the bin is about 1’ x1’ x10”, that’s the best angle I could get without disturbing her, she always sleeps in the exact same spot so it’s unusual to see her in a different spot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Your Chameleon - veiled, female, Named chameo, about14 months, I’ve had her for a little over 8 months
  • Handling - I handle her very seldom, only when I feed her waxworms (very seldom but because those are her favorite) and I like having her live as naturally as a pet can live
  • Feeding - crickets ( gutloaded with carrots, apples, kale) - 6 crickets/ 2 super worms/ a few Dubia roaches/ waxworms- maybe 2 a week
  • Repti calcium without D3, reptivite 2x a month
  • Watering - I mist her cage with a spray bottle twice a day with a dripper going a for a third of the day, She seems to enjoy being misted herself, she lays under the dropping water, tilting her head upwards while she drinks, I’ve only seen her drink off of the leaves twice
  • Fecal Description - from what I can tell the feces and urate looks good, perfectly brown and milky white respectively, I have not taken her to a vet
  • History - nothing that I can think of

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2’x2’x4’ mesh cage
  • Lighting - 60 W bulb, not sure about brand
  • Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Reptile Terrarium Lamp, 24-watt​

• Temperature - basking spot-85 degrees F, floor- 70 degrees F, I have one thermometer that I move between the bottom and top to measure but the temps have always been within a good range
  • Humidity - 65%
  • Plants - golden pothos in the middle, with a net in the corner and vine running around the enclosure, I’ve been a bit lazy getting another plant and removing the fake vines which is my bad
  • Placement -located in my basement where the temp drops to 65 F at night, the cage is 6.5 from top to floor, sitting on a table, all vents are closed and no windows or anything letting light get to her
  • Location - northern Kentucky

You said..."Feeding - crickets ( gutloaded with carrots, apples, kale) - 6 crickets/ 2 super worms/ a few Dubia roaches/ waxworms- maybe 2 a week"... So that's what you feed her every feeding? How many times a week?

Glad you're removing the fake plants.

It’s play sand, moistened, but tbh I’m not sure what the correct amount of moisture would feel like or look like, the bin is about 1’ x1’ x10”, that’s the best angle I could get without disturbing her, she always sleeps in the exact same spot so it’s unusual to see her in a different spot
I used a mix of repti soil , cocoa fiber, filter sand ..3.2.1 ratio..as long as the borough dug will hold it is fine..and the size looks adequate

You said..."Feeding - crickets ( gutloaded with carrots, apples, kale) - 6 crickets/ 2 super worms/ a few Dubia roaches/ waxworms- maybe 2 a week"... So that's what you feed her every feeding? How many times a week?

Glad you're removing the fake plants.
Sorry, 3x a week 4 or 5 crickets dusted with calcium, I might give her 2 mealworms and 1 or 2 super worms a week, so crickets every time but not every time with dubias, wax worms, or super worms

For many years I've used a playsand produced by Kings that comes in a white bag there's, blue, yellow sand toys on the front.
Is good because it holes a tunnel easily and if ingested does not cause infection or blockage.

IMHO you're feeding her enough that she's going to produce eggs and the clutch will be larger than recommended. I would only be giving her 4 or 5 crickets a week for now. You may have to adjust it further to get the clutch size in the right range. Keep the temperature in the basking area at 80F to slow her metabolism.

First time mine layed I didn't even know if it was male or female..she layed them after only two days of owning her with no type of bin..she layed them on the floor..its been 4 months now and she is already gravid again..I'm expecting her to lay anywhere from now till August
They usually lay every 120 to 130 days infertile eggs.

For many years I've used a playsand produced by Kings that comes in a white bag there's, blue, yellow sand toys on the front.
Is good because it holes a tunnel easily and if ingested does not cause infection or blockage.

IMHO you're feeding her enough that she's going to produce eggs and the clutch will be larger than recommended. I would only be giving her 4 or 5 crickets a week for now. You may have to adjust it further to get the clutch size in the right range. Keep the temperature in the basking area at 80F to slow her metabolism.
Thank you for this info

Back
Top Bottom