Is my chameleon too skinny

Golden_Eaglez7

09F893CC-1704-4C87-859C-2C9FA7D8632C.jpeg
9B95401D-648E-4E4D-A0DA-F6D7BDF14399.jpeg

How old is he and have you taken in a fecal to be tested for parasites? The fact that he is eating that much and he is so thin would be a red flag for a parasite issue.
He is a few days away from being a year old, sometimes he’s eaten up to 13 dubias but I’ve haven’t seen him get any fatter, I’ve feed him extra treat bugs to get him to fatten up but it hasn’t happened.

He is a few days away from being a year old, sometimes he’s eaten up to 13 dubias but I’ve haven’t seen him get any fatter, I’ve feed him extra treat bugs to get him to fatten up but it hasn’t happened.
Ok so you need to call around and find an exotic/reptile vet. You want to ask them if you can bring in a fecal sample for testing. If you can take in a fresh sample in a plastic baggy. Have them run the test. You would have to take him in if the test results come back positive. Some may require you to bring him in to just run the sample. But ask if you can bring in the sample first to reduce stress. They can not tell by looking at him what the parasite is and unless they have the ability to run the sample in house to tell you immediately then they have to send it to a lab.

He should be much thicker for a year old and eating the amounts he is every day. I am betting he has a high parasite load and this is why he just is not gaining weight.

Ok so you need to call around and find an exotic/reptile vet. You want to ask them if you can bring in a fecal sample for testing. If you can take in a fresh sample in a plastic baggy. Have them run the test. You would have to take him in if the test results come back positive. Some may require you to bring him in to just run the sample. But ask if you can bring in the sample first to reduce stress. They can not tell by looking at him what the parasite is and unless they have the ability to run the sample in house to tell you immediately then they have to send it to a lab.

He should be much thicker for a year old and eating the amounts he is every day. I am betting he has a high parasite load and this is why he just is not gaining weight.
Ok Thank you

If you have not done a full husbandry review we would be happy to help you with that as well. But with the weight issue this would be a fecal test to see what he has and get it treated so he starts gaining and filling in.
I’ve done a husbandry review with Neptune the chameleon on Instagram. I’m going to schedule a appointment for a fecal test.

Back
Top Bottom