Is my chameleon sick?

alibee

I got my first chameleon about 2 1/2 weeks ago at a local reptile convention. i'm not sure how old he is. he is kind of scared of me so he doesn't really eat a lot (6-10 dubias a day). if he stops eating what i try to fee him, i will set them in a small cup on the bottom of his cage. Just this morning i woke up and went out of the house for a little and he was still sleeping when i go back. i tried to wake him up but he kept closing his eyes. i never try to handle him but i finally was able to pick him up and he wasn't very happy. i spray his cage about 4 times a day and he has a dripper going. i change out his day lights from 60-100 W every once in a while and he has a red light at night for warmth too (60 W) his basking spot stays at about 80-95 depending on the bulb i put in (not sure which he needs because he's pretty small still). i am just very concerned because he really didn't want to wake up this morning. also, how do i get him to eat more? help please !!!

here is a picture of his cage
IMG_9515.JPG

here he is several days ago
IMG_9512.JPG

here he is sleeping the same day (i accidentally woke him up)
IMG_9510.JPG

here's some pictures of him today.
IMG_9566.JPG

IMG_9564.JPG

IMG_9567.JPG

Chameleons aren't suppose to have any lights on at night. It needs to be completely dark. He probably can't sleep at night with that red light. Pull it immediately. Also take all the chips out of the bottom of his cage. There shouldn't be anything at the bottom of the cage. Any substrate can cause impaction if he accidentally eats it.

Chameleons aren't suppose to have any lights on at night. It needs to be completely dark. He probably can't sleep at night with that red light. Pull it immediately. Also take all the chips out of the bottom of his cage. There shouldn't be anything at the bottom of the cage. Any substrate can cause impaction if he accidentally eats it.
do you think his eyes look sunken at all?

He needs a uvb light as well as a basking light. The uvb light helps them absorb calcium and prevent MBD

I only have a minute here but wanted to reply quick. Fill out the How to Ask for Help form that is in the health clinic. Copy and past it here with your answers and then we can help better.

What I will say is, definitely pull the red light like stated above. No light at night at all. This in itself could decrease his appetite as they need the day/night schedule to regulate hormones and the temp drop helps with digestion and metabolism. That being said....6-10 dubia a day is not bad. Dubia are heartier than crickets and it takes less. Mine would eat anywhere for 6-20 depending on the day when they were that age depending on the size of the dubia.

I only have a minute here but wanted to reply quick. Fill out the How to Ask for Help form that is in the health clinic. Copy and past it here with your answers and then we can help better.

What I will say is, definitely pull the red light like stated above. No light at night at all. This in itself could decrease his appetite as they need the day/night schedule to regulate hormones and the temp drop helps with digestion and metabolism. That being said....6-10 dubia a day is not bad. Dubia are heartier than crickets and it takes less. Mine would eat anywhere for 6-20 depending on the day when they were that age depending on the size of the dubia.
thanks so much this is very helpful!

Peachypink...how does the drop in temperature at night help their digestion and metabolism?

It was in a few articles I read when I was researching the light at night debate. I'll have to look and see if I can find them. It was stated in more than one source. Something about how a drop of at least 10 degrees aids the metabolic process.

As far as I know the drop in temperature would slow the metabolism and the digestion....but I don't know why that would be important exactly.

They need 12 hours of light a day. Lots of people will go by the daylight times and may shorten the light times depending on season. lots of people also have the uvb light come on first then the basking light on 20 or 30 mins later. It also depends on your schedual as well. I work early so I have my lights come on early so he can wake up before I put food in his cage so I don't disturb him.

As far as I know the drop in temperature would slow the metabolism and the digestion....but I don't know why that would be important exactly.
Correct. It slows the metabolism at night and then in the morning they go to the basking spot where it speeds back up again. It helps in a couple of ways. The first being that by slowing the metabolism helps them sleep deeper. Another is that the cycle of letting it slow at night and raise in the day is what triggers hunger.

Back
Top Bottom