Is my chameleon scared of me?

RudyChameleon

I recently bought a nosy be panther chameleon, the employees at the reptile store easily picked him up, when I try to pick him up he runs away, he is only one month old and I am aware that they are show animals not handling animals I know I have to pick him up from under him but he is still scared of my hand. I just wanted to know if he will never let me handle him or if he is just scared because he is only one month old. Thanks.

I've only had my chameleon for 7 days now, but tonight I had some awesome success.

For the entire week he puffed up if I got to close when cleaning out his cage, etc., but tonight, right before lights out, I was putting a sheet over his cage so my tv wouldn't disturb him, and as soon as I put the sheet up, the little guy rushed down and climbed onto the screen door. I opened it and he reached for my hand and climbed up to the top of my head. It was awesome.

Hopefully stuff like this starts happening regularly now, and it wasn't a fluke. I would love to be able to get him out of the cage easy so I could give him some outside sun occasionally.:cool:

Hand feeding is a spectacular way to get them used to your hand. Over time he will get closer to your hand and eventually on to it. After that happens then you can work on handling.

I agree with the above comments, My chameleon is if anything too tame now... constantly wanted to come out of his viv and doesnt midn being handled... but only by myself.

Creating abond with your chameleon wont be easy as its not a matter of days but months...

Hand feeding is crutial... also just sit with at your chameleons viv with him every other day for 20 minutes or so with the doors open etc... dont stress him out by keep trying to touch him you will be able to tell when your chameleon is comfortable....

When your chamelon is on the move in his viv put your hand across his path for him to walk across it but dont pick him up do this several times and eventually pick him up when he has walked on your hand but dont take him out of his viv just yet do this over a course of a few month eventually he will be used to you.

Make an enviroment out of his viv which is interesting and secure and safe feeling for him so he sees it as a psotive not a scary experience...
This is what I dont with mine and like I said hes very tame... constantly wanted toexplore new sourounding out of his viv.

It takes a lot of time and patience. Everything is new to your Cham so they need to adjust. One thing you can start doing is hand feeding so he associates your hands with positive reinforcement.

All have different personalities, but still have that underlying fear of you. My female veiled would hand feed crickets, worms, and fruit, but wanted nothing to do with me, would hide, and not drink in front of me. My male panther feeds the same way, but drinks in front of me (including water off my hand) and if I stand in front of the cage he comes right out to me.

It takes a lot of time and patience. Everything is new to your Cham so they need to adjust. One thing you can start doing is hand feeding so he associates your hands with positive reinforcement.

All have different personalities, but still have that underlying fear of you. My female veiled would hand feed crickets, worms, and fruit, but wanted nothing to do with me, would hide, and not drink in front of me. My male panther feeds the same way, but drinks in front of me (including water off my hand) and if I stand in front of the cage he comes right out to me.

Should I just hand feed him crickets or what???

My experience

First off, congrats on your new baby :)

In my own experience, Huck didn't want anything to do with me the first week or so. But slowly he got used to the idea of my hands in his enclosure because of maintenance (misting, fixing random plants, refilling the fogger). After he stopped hiding from me automatically, I began to hand feed him and he was really receptive. After a couple days of that, I started letting him explore more while I supervised. Then, it got to a point where he would even welcome my hands and come towards me when I opened up his home. Now, he just crawls wherever he wants and we are buddies. Sometimes he will fall asleep holding onto my finger while I watch t.v. with all the lights off. It's jsut about time and commitment mostly.

Best of luck!
~Breezy

First off, congrats on your new baby :)

In my own experience, Huck didn't want anything to do with me the first week or so. But slowly he got used to the idea of my hands in his enclosure because of maintenance (misting, fixing random plants, refilling the fogger). After he stopped hiding from me automatically, I began to hand feed him and he was really receptive. After a couple days of that, I started letting him explore more while I supervised. Then, it got to a point where he would even welcome my hands and come towards me when I opened up his home. Now, he just crawls wherever he wants and we are buddies. Sometimes he will fall asleep holding onto my finger while I watch t.v. with all the lights off. It's jsut about time and commitment mostly.

Best of luck! L
~Breezy

He is a bit too small to walk around right now but as soon as he is big enough I will!

Should I just hand feed him crickets or what???

I would definitely try hand feeding as early as possible. Hold on to a crickets rear leg and put your hand just in front of (not side) his cage. The cricket struggling should stimulate him to come get it. He may watch it and not pursue, but stay persistent with it and eventually he should come to you and grab it.

When I first start it I usually just hand feed one and then release the remaining crickets in his cage. As he gets used to it you can hand feed more as you go, but start with one.

I would definitely try hand feeding as early as possible. Hold on to a crickets rear leg and put your hand just in front of (not side) his cage. The cricket struggling should stimulate him to come get it. He may watch it and not pursue, but stay persistent with it and eventually he should come to you and grab it.

When I first start it I usually just hand feed one and then release the remaining crickets in his cage. As he gets used to it you can hand feed more as you go, but start with one.

Any way to catch them easily

Back
Top Bottom