Is my chameleon healthy

Rose:)

I have a male veiled chameleon named Pickles. I am unsure of how old he is but he is younger. I got him on November 7. I held him once because we needed to move his cage onto a more stable stand.

He has been eating a lot of Dubia roaches and the crickets. He eats about 10 dubia roaches each day or 5 dubias and 5 crickets. I will probably start feeding small horn worms and silkworms. He sometimes snacks on the Hibiscus plant. I use the pink komodo gutloader for them. And i use the flukers cricket quencher.

I am using rept-cal multivitamins and calcium without d3 and then zoo med calcium with d3

The schedule is the one you where you alternate between weeks. Without for sunday-friday and with on saturday or multivitamin on saturday.

I am misting him. I mist him about 3 times a day. I mist for about a minute.

He has pooped many times and it was dark brown with some white. He poops frequently.

I do not know any of the history. I just know he was surrendered and the rescue took care of him until he was healthy.

I have the x-large reptibreeze terrarium. 2’x2’x4’.

I have it around 80-83 for the basking temp. The night temperature gets around 70. I use a reptizoo digital thermo-hygrometer. It usually stays around 30% for humidity. Im creating and maintaining these levels by misting and I also have live plants.

I am using live plants. 2 Pothos, Hibiscus, Croton, Umbrella plant and Bromeliad

The cage is on a stand and its the highest thing in the room besides my fan. The cage is located in my bedroom. I keep the fan off so that the chameleon doesn’t get too cold.

I’m located in the Southeast of the US.

Theres no problem it has just been a while since ive posted and I wanted to kake sure he is still healthy looking.
FB728B11-279D-48EB-BFF5-5145722AD8B2.png

i did start the komodo gutloading jelly thing recently so I wanted to know yalls opinion on it.

I have a few questions and feedback, if you don’t mind. It’ll be in red. I also love his name!

I have a male veiled chameleon named Pickles. I am unsure of how old he is but he is younger. I got him on November 7. I held him once because we needed to move his cage onto a more stable stand. Someone else will have to approximate his age, I’m no good at that.

He has been eating a lot of Dubia roaches and the crickets. He eats about 10 dubia roaches each day or 5 dubias and 5 crickets. I will probably start feeding small horn worms and silkworms. He sometimes snacks on the Hibiscus plant. I use the pink komodo gutloader for them. And i use the flukers cricket quencher. It’s always recommended to add more variety! Depending on his age will change how much he’s fed. I’m attaching gutload and feeder images. I’m not sure on the Komodo gutload, and regular water crystals are preferred over colored branded ones. I have no idea what the Komodo jelly gutloads are, but the Zoo Med ones aren’t recommended and are too sugary.

I am using rept-cal multivitamins and calcium without d3 and then zoo med calcium with d3

The schedule is the one you where you alternate between weeks. Without for sunday-friday and with on saturday or multivitamin on saturday. You’ll want to get a multivitamin with pre-formed Vitamin A in it. Since you already have a calcium with D3, make sure the multivitamin you buy is D3-free. Another option is to get pre-formed Vitamin A gel capsules and use a drop of the liquid inside on the back of a feeder 1-2 times a month, instead of getting and using a multivitamin supplement with pre-formed Vitamin A. Could you add more info on your supplement schedule? When do you use the plain calcium, calcium wit D3, and the multivitamin?

I am misting him. I mist him about 3 times a day. I mist for about a minute. Chameleons need to be misted for a minimum of 2-5 minutes for each daytime mist. If your humidity allows it, only mist in the morning and late afternoon/night for his daytime mistings.

He has pooped many times and it was dark brown with some white. He poops frequently. I’d definitely recommend taking him to an experienced chameleon vet for a parasite check on his fecal, bloodwork, x-rays, etc. since he’s a rescue.

I do not know any of the history. I just know he was surrendered and the rescue took care of him until he was healthy.

What do you use for lighting?

I have it around 80-83 for the basking temp. The night temperature gets around 70. I use a reptizoo digital thermo-hygrometer. It usually stays around 30% for humidity. Im creating and maintaining these levels by misting and I also have live plants. Temps seem okay to me, but again, knowing his age changes temperature requirements. I‘d definitely try to drop his temperature at night lower if possible. They can tolerate down to 50-60*F at night. The daytime humidity is within range for veileds (30-50% for during the day) barely. More live plants and longer mistings will help. What is his nighttime humidity? It‘s preferred to go as high as possible at night (up to 100%) for natural hydration. People use foggers/cool mist humidifiers for that. If you buy one, make sure to clean it and its tubes thoroughly and often. Attach the output tube to/near the top of his cage so the fog rolls down.

I am using live plants. 2 Pothos, Hibiscus, Croton, Umbrella plant and Bromeliad How were they prepared? Do you use any fake plants or fake vines with leaves on them (fake vines without leaves are fine)?

The cage is on a stand and its the highest thing in the room besides my fan. The cage is located in my bedroom. I keep the fan off so that the chameleon doesn’t get too cold.

Theres no problem it has just been a while since ive posted and I wanted to kake sure he is still healthy looking.View attachment 288562
Could you post more pictures of him and his cage (full cage and pics of his light set-up)?

Sorry, here’s the images! Also, have you checked out The Chameleon Academy? They have the most up-to-date info on veileds and everything else!

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 68
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 66
This may be worth doing. You may b able to post a sample to your vet. Do you know if he's put any weight on in the last month?
Oh yeah he definitely has gotten bigger but not overweight. He might have looked skinny bc he sucked in before he puffed up bc i was close.

Sorry, here’s the images! Also, have you checked out The Chameleon Academy? They have the most up-to-date info on veileds and everything else!
Yes. I used all of that but my mom got baited into buying the komodo jello thing so I decided to give it a try since she bought it.

I have a few questions and feedback, if you don’t mind. It’ll be in red. I also love his name!

I have a male veiled chameleon named Pickles. I am unsure of how old he is but he is younger. I got him on November 7. I held him once because we needed to move his cage onto a more stable stand. Someone else will have to approximate his age, I’m no good at that.

He has been eating a lot of Dubia roaches and the crickets. He eats about 10 dubia roaches each day or 5 dubias and 5 crickets. I will probably start feeding small horn worms and silkworms. He sometimes snacks on the Hibiscus plant. I use the pink komodo gutloader for them. And i use the flukers cricket quencher. It’s always recommended to add more variety! Depending on his age will change how much he’s fed. I’m attaching gutload and feeder images. I’m not sure on the Komodo gutload, and regular water crystals are preferred over colored branded ones. I have no idea what the Komodo jelly gutloads are, but the Zoo Med ones aren’t recommended and are too sugary.

The schedule is the one you where you alternate between weeks. Without for sunday-friday and with on saturday or multivitamin on saturday. You’ll want to get a multivitamin with pre-formed Vitamin A in it. Since you already have a calcium with D3, make sure the multivitamin you buy is D3-free. Another option is to get pre-formed Vitamin A gel capsules and use a drop of the liquid inside on the back of a feeder 1-2 times a month, instead of getting and using a multivitamin supplement with pre-formed Vitamin A. Could you add more info on your supplement schedule? When do you use the plain calcium, calcium wit D3, and the multivitamin?

I am misting him. I mist him about 3 times a day. I mist for about a minute. Chameleons need to be misted for a minimum of 2-5 minutes for each daytime mist. If your humidity allows it, only mist in the morning and late afternoon/night for his daytime mistings.

He has pooped many times and it was dark brown with some white. He poops frequently. I’d definitely recommend taking him to an experienced chameleon vet for a parasite check on his fecal, bloodwork, x-rays, etc. since he’s a rescue.

I have it around 80-83 for the basking temp. The night temperature gets around 70. I use a reptizoo digital thermo-hygrometer. It usually stays around 30% for humidity. Im creating and maintaining these levels by misting and I also have live plants. Temps seem okay to me, but again, knowing his age changes temperature requirements. I‘d definitely try to drop his temperature at night lower if possible. They can tolerate down to 50-60*F at night. The daytime humidity is within range for veileds (30-50% for during the day) barely. More live plants and longer mistings will help. What is his nighttime humidity? It‘s preferred to go as high as possible at night (up to 100%) for natural hydration. People use foggers/cool mist humidifiers for that. If you buy one, make sure to clean it and its tubes thoroughly and often. Attach the output tube to/near the top of his cage so the fog rolls down.

I am using live plants. 2 Pothos, Hibiscus, Croton, Umbrella plant and Bromeliad How were they prepared? Do you use any fake plants or fake vines with leaves on them (fake vines without leaves are fine)?

Theres no problem it has just been a while since ive posted and I wanted to kake sure he is still healthy looking.View attachment 288562
Could you post more pictures of him and his cage (full cage and pics of his light set-up)?
I have a lot of pics of him and his cage.They are all in my media and on the forum. I already knew a lot of the stuff you said. The only reason i do not have a larger variety is because it is scarce rn. I use a hand mister so 5 minutes wont work with it. Ive already had my cage assessed before and ik i have the correct lights. I already have the multivitamins. I probably forgot to put some stuff because I have the filled out thing in my notes i just edit it it when i change something. Ive watched all of gingero’s videos and that's what i based my stuff off of. Im not able to buy a mister because I dont have the money for it so i do it by hand.

Heres a pic so you dont have to go to the media. This is older. I got rid of the stick on thermometer lol
C98BC8B5-8DD0-4E3A-AADF-D573D7A00E52.jpeg

I have a lot of pics of him and his cage.They are all in my media and on the forum. I already knew a lot of the stuff you said. The only reason i do not have a larger variety is because it is scarce rn. I use a hand mister so 5 minutes wont work with it. Ive already had my cage assessed before and ik i have the correct lights. I already have the multivitamins. I probably forgot to put some stuff because I have the filled out thing in my notes i just edit it it when i change something. Ive watched all of gingero’s videos and that's what i based my stuff off of. Im not able to buy a mister because I dont have the money for it so i do it by hand.
I saw your cage pics, and all of the plants look great, but you could use more foliage and branches near the top of the cage if you can. How far away from his basking branch is his UVB bulb? What strength of fixture and strength of UVB bulb do you have? Could you get it up misting for 2 minutes each time?

I saw your cage pics, and all of the plants look great, but you could use more foliage and branches near the top of the cage if you can. How far away from his basking branch is his UVB bulb? What strength of fixture and strength of UVB bulb do you have? Could you get it up misting for 2 minutes each time?
Yeah i can probably do 2 min. Its a 100W bulb with a plant light. I have a T5 HO linear uvb. I think its about 5 inches away from the bulb to the basking.

Yeah i can probably do 2 min. Its a 100W bulb with a plant light. I have a T5 HO linear uvb. I think its about 5 inches away from the bulb to the basking.
How strong is the UVB bulb itself? If it’s a 5.0 or 6%, the fixture needs to be raised up until the basking branch is around 9” away

How strong is the UVB bulb itself? If it’s a 5.0 or 6%, the fixture needs to be raised up until the basking branch is around 9” away
Ok i jsut went back and checked and its more around 8-8.5 inches away. Its dark so its a rough estimate. Its a 5.0. Sorry I was busy doing something and I wasnt in the room to fully check. I knew that i had checked before but i couldnt remember what it was.

Ok i jsut went back and checked and its more around 8-8.5 inches away. Its dark so its a rough estimate. Its a 5.0. Sorry I was busy doing something and I wasnt in the room to fully check. I knew that i had checked before but i couldnt remember what it was.
I am a bit tired so i may not make sense a little. It has been a long day. If you would like i can send a new pic of him tomorrow and a pic of the cage. Just a side note i am going to be taking out his hibiscus because it is bare and youll see how bare it is in the pic. I will find another plant to put there.

Back
Top Bottom