Is my chameleon healthy?

Chameleonhavinman

So I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if I’m doing an ok job taking care of him(picture below). His name is Ra, like the Egyptian sun god, and he is now a 6 month old male veiled chameleon. Part of the reason I ask is because of his dark purple/black head coloration since I’ve only rarely heard of purple being on veileds in general, I was wondering if maybe natural colors might say something? Mainly why I ask though is because it has been a little over 2 months of care and I went into caring for him with only the knowledge I gained from websites (mainly this site but of course some others) and he is growing so quickly (he was completely light green with a small hint of light purple on his head when I bought him). I have been feeding him dubia roaches with 1-3 mealworms every feeding with herptivite calcium dust, and I feed 1-2 hornworms a week. He is kept in a 16x16x30 all screen cage outside(I take necessary action if weather is too hot or cold). I handle him at the most once a week and at the least once every two weeks. Thank you!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Your chameleon looks good!

You said he's outside all the time...where do you live? Does he get direct sunlight every day?
Does he get any wild caught insects?
Herptivite is a vitamin powder....it should only be used twice a month lightly. If he's being fed mostly store bought insects then he needs a phos free calcium powder dusted lightly on the insects at most feedings.
What are you feeding the insects?

It looks like he may be getting too much sun(I am reconfiguring my panthers habitat this week due to similar dark spots). Does he have a break from the direct sunlight ?

It looks like he may be getting too much sun(I am reconfiguring my panthers habitat this week due to similar dark spots). Does he have a break from the direct sunlight ?
Also he looks like he could use some calcium, Use a calcium with d3 1-2month, and gutload his crickets/roaches regularly. This will help with his bone health. I worry about the dark spots on his body.

You said he's outside all the time...where do you live? Does he get direct sunlight every day?
Herptivite is a vitamin powder....it should only be used twice a month lightly. If he's being fed mostly store bought insects then he needs a phos free calcium powder dusted lightly on the insects at most feedings.

hi thanks for responding, I live around the middle of California, and he has plenty of foliage for shade during the day so he never has to be in direct sunlight if he doesn’t want to, he gets a couple insects a month when I take him out, usually flies or pillbugs which I did hear can have parasites. I feel like a terrible father now, I knew about the vitamin thing but my eyes never focused on the words multivitamin.. i need to change that quickly, thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom