Is my chameleon gone:(

My chameleon isnt doing very well, I founnd him last night on the ground of his tank lying there. I opened the cage and picked up. i noticed that he wasnt moving , but i knew he was still alive . I know he hasnt been eating very well , but has been drinking water pretty good. I put him in a container with holes in it with a weet towel that was warm. and put a heat pad under it to get it humid in the container . I also gave him dehydration,starvation, shock drops. i went to sleep but he still not moving and im not sure if hes dead or if hes severly sick . I got him a couple of weeks ago , and so i thought maybe he has parasites can you please help me determine if hes alive and wat to do!

Usually chams will change colors a bit when they die.
Not that we would enjoy seeing any pics of this nature, but a pic may help.
Can you see him breath? Is he stiff?

Chameleons sometimes sleep on the bottom of his cage. Maybe he was sleeping? If not, check with a vet

Chameleons sometimes sleep on the bottom of his cage. Maybe he was sleeping? If not, check with a vet

Pretty sure he is not asleep since he said he picked him up and put him in a container..

Sorry to hear. hopefully you can get him back. Like was stated, pictures would help.

hit post reply and to the right of the white smiley face is a paperclip. Click on the paperclip and download your picture.

chameleon blog.jpg this is a photo

Although your chameleon sounds severely ill it still would help for you to fill out this form so we can see if anything in your set up caused his illness. If something happens to him and you decide to get another one you would not want to make the same mistake again(providing it is something other than parasites or something that was out of your control) so we can help you get on the right track. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ Edit: you posted the pic at the same time I responded.

I am sorry to say but it does not look like he is gonna make it. Please fill out the form so we can try and figure out what went wrong if anything that had to do with his lighting or temps etc.. Maybe someone else can give you some advice, but he looks pretty bad.

information form

im not sure on age or sex, but i just got him a couple of weeks ago and he looks fairl young... this is why i dont know the sex. I handle my chameleon about every other day to every day .I feed himm crickets, about two at a time, couple times a week, im using flukkers criket food. I never saw him eat but there are droppings.. i mist him about three to four times a day. i dust the crickets with zoo med repti calcium ultra fine precipitated calcium carbonate supplement with D3.I use a bowl thats designed in the shape of a leaf, and he drinks the misted water when misted. Iv seen him drink before just not eat. He hasnt been tested for parasites. I may be incorrect cause im color blind but the droppings are brown with little bugs that i dont recognize. I think the person i got it from had it imported so that would explain unidentifiable bug. He is very active and loves to climb. He lives in a screen zoo med repti breeze cage. He has a infrared heat bul for night and day, and a uv bulb for health. I create and maintain humidity by misting him alot. and by putting terrarium moos thats soaked in water in the cage. the cage is located on a tabel by a window a. and above a vent. its about 2 and a half feet above the floor. im located in missouri.

Where did you get him from? so partly of his illness is that he might be WC- meaning that they might not do well in captivity, but in this case maybe of parasites( the poop should not have bugs in them- only a dark brown part and a white part that is the urate(pee) and from what you described of overhandling, chameleons are meant to be a "look don't touch pet"....overhandling cvan cause stress... sorry for your chams current condition :(

looks like a Jacksonii jacksonii...but not sure.

Last edited:
so you say you were feeding him only a couple of crickets a couple of times a week? He looks young and you should have been feeding him everyday like 10-15 crickets a day. So he was underfed but I don't think that would kill him in a week. Wait! You say his dropping have little bugs in them? You mean live bugs in his poop? What kind of temps were you maintaining in his cage? What kind of UV bulb were you using?

I was feeding him a couple crickets a week yes. But he also wasnt eating any that i put in there. exo terra repti glow 10.0 uvb light and the bugs in his poop where shells that had dots.

I was feeding him a couple crickets a week yes. But he also wasnt eating any that i put in there. exo terra repti glow 10.0 uvb light and the bugs in his poop where shells that had dots.

I'd call and get my money back, either the crickets had parasites, or your cham came with them

Back
Top Bottom