Is my chameleon getting ready to shed?

Oldman_crumpets

I have a baby female veiled chameleon I keep her humidity at 50 to 60 percent her cage is 2 feet wide 2 feet long and 4 feet tall. I feed her gut loaded feeder crickets about 4 every day. I use a zoomed T8 5.0 UVB bulb. I dust 16 crickets a week with calcium and D3 supplement. Lately she’s been eating/drinking less and has been scratching her eyes on branches, andI noticed some sort of white stuff around her eye.

Can you post pictures of your chameleon and their enclosure top to bottom? Also can you answer these questions in AS MUCH DETAIL as possible.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

I have a female baby veiled chameleon. The cage is a reptibreez 2 foot wide 2 foot long and 4 foot tall the plant in the cage is a ficus Benjamina I mist about once every three hours for about 30 seconds. I feed her small got loaded crickets about 4 a day. I dust 16 and of them a week with repti calcium. My cage is located in the corner of my room next to a fan not near any windows. My chameleon has never been tested for parasites. I keep the humidity in the cage around 50 or 60%. Her basking spot is 90° The rest of the cage is around 75. I do not handle her very often maybe twice a week The cage is about 1 foot off the ground. I turn on all the lights at eight in the morning and turned them off at eight at night are use a zoo med T a five poinI turn on all the lights at eight in the morning and turned them off at eight at night are use a zoo med T a 5.0 UVB bulb.

Attachments

• FFBD9799-1DC5-4563-AA5A-6F24BA975FE9.jpeg
    FFBD9799-1DC5-4563-AA5A-6F24BA975FE9.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 97
  • B3B3ABDF-B248-415C-8BFE-037ADB7C911E.jpeg
    B3B3ABDF-B248-415C-8BFE-037ADB7C911E.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 78
I broke up your post to make it a little easier to read. Feedback in line
  • I have a female baby veiled chameleon. The cage is a reptibreez 2 foot wide 2 foot long and 4 foot tall Great size!
  • the plant in the cage is a ficus Benjamina I'd see if you can add more horizontal branches.
  • I mist about once every three hours for about 30 seconds. I'd recommend misting for longer closer to 2-4 minutes once in the morning after lights come on, and once in the evening before lights go off. If you need to add in another session in the afternoon to help with humidity that's fine. Can also look into adding a dripper to have going throughout the day for her to drink from. They are super easy to make:

• I feed her small got loaded crickets about 4 a day. What are you gutloading with? Are you feeding any other bugs? I feel like she could be eating more than 4 crickets/day. At her age, should be feeding her closer to 10.

• I dust 16 and of them a week with repti calcium. What kind of calcium? You'll want to use calcium WITHOUT D3 6x/week and alternate between calcium WITH D3 and a multivitamin (I use Reptivite) on that 7th day every other week.

• My cage is located in the corner of my room next to a fan not near any windows. My chameleon has never been tested for parasites. Has she pooped since you've had her? What do her poops look like?
  • I keep the humidity in the cage around 50 or 60%. Her basking spot is 90° The rest of the cage is around 75. 90F for basking is a bit too hot. You want it closer to 85. You can get a lower wattage bulb (you can just get an incandescent house bulb) or raise your current light. Veileds are known to burn themselves.

• I do not handle her very often maybe twice a week The cage is about 1 foot off the ground. All good.
  • I turn on all the lights at eight in the morning and turned them off at eight at night are use a zoo med T a five poinI turn on all the lights at eight in the morning and turned them off at eight at night are use a zoo med T a 5.0 UVB bulb. Can you clarify what kind of UVB you're using? Your first post said T8 and this one says T5.

sorry I’m using a T8. I’ve only seen her poop once it was a dark brown and the urate was white with a little yellow I’m having trouble trying to find more though. I used to try and feed her more, but she lost interest after 4. I’m feeding the crickets carrots cucumbers apples and romaine lettuce. Thanks for all the feedback. I’ll make sure to make the changes as soon as possible I want what’s best for my cham!

Gotcha. So a T8 isn't terrible, but it's not the best. I'd try to switch to a linear T5 bulb when you get a chance. Her poop sounds okay. Try feeding her other types of bugs like dubia roaches, silkworms, black solider fly larvae, superworms, hornworms, etc. Your gutload also isn't terrible, but has room for improvement. Be sure to check out the gutloading video I linked above. There are much better things to be gutloading with such as mango, sweet potato, collard greens, mustard greens, etc.

Also make sure you set up a laybin for her so she has somewhere to lay her eggs when it comes time. This is a great resource: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

Let me know if you have any questions once you start making changes. Happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom