- Your Chameleon - Male Veiled Chameleon. He’s about 6-7 weeks old. I have had him for about 4 days now.
- Handling - I rarely handle him. I read that is best to leave him alone for the first couple weeks of him adjusting to his new environment. I occasionally hand feed him while saying his name to build trust.
- Feeding - I feed him 6 crickets in the morning every day and he always has mustard greens placed in his foliage (which he LOVES). I haven’t purchased my habitat for the crickets yet, I just buy them fresh daily.
- Supplements - I dust his crickets with Repti Calcium once a week. Which vitamins are recommended and should I be dusting more often?
- Watering - I have a self-pump mister and spray his cage several times a day. He loves to drink, his crates are totally normal.
- Fecal Description - His poops are totally normal. They’re dark brown and black. He poops once a day. He’s never been tested for parasites
- Cage Type - I got the reptibreeze chameleon kit. I have a medium size screen cage 16x16x30”
- Lighting - I have the zoo med tropical UVB & heat lighting kit 1 DayLight Blue 60w Bulb, 1 ReptiSun Mini Compact 5.0 (13w). I turn his light on at 8:30am and turn it off at 10pm.
- Temperature - The top of the cage is at 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit and the bottom of the cage is usually 72-76 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Humidity - humidity usually hangs around 65. Is that too high?
- Plants - I’m only using fake plants
- Placement - My cage is located in my bedroom near my standing closet from IKEA which helps block the air from the air vents. My bedroom has a lot of air vents since it is technically the media room but it is also the warmest room in the house so I figured this was the best spot for him. He’s about 3 feet off of the ground.
- Location - I am located in Fort Worth, TX. We just hit a cold front so we’ve been down in the 40’s
Current Problem - I am concerned about how he is adjusting. Every morning he’s relatively pale with lots of black spots. Around noon or 1pm every day he likes to come down from the basking spot and get his mustard greens and drink his water. He turns a really pretty green when he is doing that. By the time he makes his way back to the top he goes back to the pale color with the spots. Is this normal? I know it takes a long time for him to get acclimated to his new environment but I am worried there is something I should be doing to make his life better. Any advice?
Normal Green Color when eating and drinking:
Petrie in the morning:
Petrie when he's done eating: