Is my chameleon about to lay eggs or die?!?!

She really need some on lay those eggs soon if she still can. She doesn't have much time to get the job done. She's carrying a huge clutch so I hope she has enough calcium and nutrients to do it.

@jannb gave you very good advise.

When did she get the blue dots?
How much have you been feeding her per week?
What is the specific calcium supplement you are using? How often do you use its. How heavily do you dust the insects? No calcium/D3 or vitamins?

She really need some on lay those eggs soon if she still can. She doesn't have much time to get the job done. She's carrying a huge clutch so I hope she has enough calcium and nutrients to do it.

@jannb gave you very good advise.

When did she get the blue dots?
How much have you been feeding her per week?
What is the specific calcium supplement you are using? How often do you use its. How heavily do you dust the insects? No calcium/D3 or vitamins?

Yes I use repti something (I forgot what it’s called but it’s in the original post) and I dust pretty heavily once or twice a month when i get new crickets. They are usually white. She just got those dots within the last week. Do you think I should place her in the bin? She has not gone in it since I put it in. Or just let her go on her own? And when is it too late to take her to the vet? My state just went back into lockdown not even sure if I can go....

Yes I use repti something (I forgot what it’s called but it’s in the original post) and I dust pretty heavily once or twice a month when i get new crickets. They are usually white. She just got those dots within the last week. Do you think I should place her in the bin? She has not gone in it since I put it in. Or just let her go on her own? And when is it too late to take her to the vet? My state just went back into lockdown not even sure if I can go....

Try the trash can method, like in the link above. I’ll get the link and attach below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

You need to use the phos free calcium at all feedings but one each week...one the remaining feeding alternate between a vitamin powder and a phos free calcium/D3 powder. The insects should be dusted lightly just before they are fed to the chaameleon.

You could show her her bin...sit her on the sand and let her leave if she wants to. Also make sure she has a way to climb into the bin on her own.

You need to take her to the vet before she gets too weak to be spayed....so watch for symptoms of eggbinding....they include but are not limited to, sitting low in the cage, sleeping during the day, lethargy, etc. If she phantom lays then she's eggbound as well. (Phantom laying....digs a hole, acts like she's laying the eggs, fills the hole in and returns to the branches...but laid no eggs.)

You need to use the phos free calcium at all feedings but one each week...one the remaining feeding alternate between a vitamin powder and a phos free calcium/D3 powder. The insects should be dusted lightly just before they are fed to the chaameleon.

You could show her her bin...sit her on the sand and let her leave if she wants to. Also make sure she has a way to climb into the bin on her own.

You need to take her to the vet before she gets too weak to be spayed....so watch for symptoms of eggbinding....they include but are not limited to, sitting low in the cage, sleeping during the day, lethargy, etc. If she phantom lays then she's eggbound as well. (Phantom laying....digs a hole, acts like she's laying the eggs, fills the hole in and returns to the branches...but laid no eggs.)

Thank you so much for this advice! She is acting normal except eating very little each day. I Will show her the bin. Thank you again!

Hey Guys. I placed her in the bin (it has sticks poking out connecting to the screen) and closed her cage to give her privacy. How long should I give her Until I should take her to the vet? Thank you all so much for the hell so far. I hope she will be okay.

yeah... she looks obese to me.
oh no lol...... probably 3-5 crickets or mealworms a day. Is that too much? should I start feeding every other day? Does this mean she does not need to lay or she is not egg bound but just fat lol? should I take her out and have her walk on me for exercise?

yeah... she looks obese to me.

She has recently been getting bigger this was her a few months ago. She also developed new colorings. Maybe she is just big? I honestly have no clue that is why I came on here. I have also been having dreams she is going to die so I am extra scared ?

Attachments

• 73FF07BC-48C5-4D37-8F09-F04546F8D12E.jpeg
    73FF07BC-48C5-4D37-8F09-F04546F8D12E.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 84
oh no lol...... probably 3-5 crickets or mealworms a day. Is that too much? should I start feeding every other day? Does this mean she does not need to lay or she is not egg bound but just fat lol? should I take her out and have her walk on me for exercise?
Yeah for an adult female you should be feeding like 2 or 3 (depending on size of feeder) every other day.

Hello! Mealworms are not recommend for Chameleons. Because of chitin, and are hard to digest. This chart will help
downloadfile-14.jpg

You asked..."How long should I give her Until I should take her to the vet?"... @jannb and I both talked about that concerning if she's eggbound. However an X-ray would confirm that she is carrying/producing eggs now.

You said..."probably 3-5 crickets or mealworms a day. Is that too much? should I start feeding every other day?"...I would be feeding her every other day. To keep a female veiled from producing large clutches you need to control her diet and her temperature in the basking area. The problem is, that once they are producing eggs I can't tell you for sure that putting her on the diet and lowering basking temperatures (80 ish F) is a good thing or not right now because if she's is producing a large clutch she would likely need extra nutrients for the eggs and shells and to lay them.

You said..."Does this mean she does not need to lay or she is not egg bound but just fat lol? should I take her out and have her walk on me for exercise?"...her shape is bothering me a bit...but her colors show that she should be carrying eggs. I'm at a loss for a clar answer about what to do for her. I would definitely leave the egg in in the cage and give her privacy though. I'd keep a close eye on her too.

Anyone else have any ideas? @jannb @MissSkittles ?

You asked..."How long should I give her Until I should take her to the vet?"... @jannb and I both talked about that concerning if she's eggbound. However an X-ray would confirm that she is carrying/producing eggs now.

You said..."probably 3-5 crickets or mealworms a day. Is that too much? should I start feeding every other day?"...I would be feeding her every other day. To keep a female veiled from producing large clutches you need to control her diet and her temperature in the basking area. The problem is, that once they are producing eggs I can't tell you for sure that putting her on the diet and lowering basking temperatures (80 ish F) is a good thing or not right now because if she's is producing a large clutch she would likely need extra nutrients for the eggs and shells and to lay them.

You said..."Does this mean she does not need to lay or she is not egg bound but just fat lol? should I take her out and have her walk on me for exercise?"...her shape is bothering me a bit...but her colors show that she should be carrying eggs. I'm at a loss for a clar answer about what to do for her. I would definitely leave the egg in in the cage and give her privacy though. I'd keep a close eye on her too.

Wow! that was very helpful. I am very worried. Thank you for all of that. I really do appreciate all your help :)

I don’t really have enough experience and knowledge to add more than @kinyonga and @jannb have already said. She does look overweight but I also think she’s probably got some eggs in there. Being overweight may make it harder to pass all the eggs. If it were me, I’d take her to one of the vets mentioned and get an X-ray to see what’s going on inside. It’s also a good way to start a relationship with the vet just in case he/she is needed in the future.

Hi Everyone. I took Pascala to the vet and they said she sure does have eggs. They gave me liquid calcium to give her( any tips? they said not to stress her out for the next few days) and if she doesn't lay by the end of the weekend take her for surgery. attached is a picture on the way to the vet :( I hope this helps. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4487-3.jpeg
    IMG_4487-3.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom