Is my cham pregnant or overweight?

Delores917

I've had my veiled chameleon Delores for a few days now, and I got her from my neighbors who I noticed werent taking well care of her. I know she has layed at least one clutch of eggs before, and it was about two months ago. I dont know how much her previous owners were feeding her, but Ive been feeding her about 4 mealworms dipped in calcium dust every other day, and im going to be getting dubia roaches and silkworms to diversify her diet. Here are some pictures of her that make me think she could be pregnant:

Attachments

• IMG_20210827_112921323.jpg
    IMG_20210827_112921323.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20210827_112926687.jpg
    IMG_20210827_112926687.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 92
Not at the moment. I've only had her for a few days, but I'm going to be setting one up for her tomorrow evening as soon as I get off from work

She is pretty plump and is probably working on some eggs. While I’m not 100% sure, it does seem to be a big soon after her last clutch to be ready to lay another. Most definitely keep a lay bin in her enclosure and ready for her at all times. If she starts showing any signs of distress such as not eating, lethargy, not basking, staying low in her enclosure, eyes closed during the day…get her into a vet as soon as able. It’s actually a good idea to take her in to one anyhow for a wellness visit and a fecal check for parasites. They can do an x ray to determine where she may be in her reproductive cycle.

Alright, thanks for the tips. Just in case she may just be overweight, do you think I should cut back on her diet? I'm trying very hard to learn from everyone on here, as well as doing my own research, so every bit of advice helps <3

Mealworms are ok once in a blue moon, but not good as a staple feeder. You’re on the right track with roaches and silkworms…my two favorite feeders. I give my chams 3-4 medium sized feeders, 3 days a week. I use phosphorus free calcium for every feeding, except one every other week, in which I use Reptivite with D3. That is a multivitamin and D3 combined and is easiest for me. There are many supplements and regimens, but the basic is the calcium with no D3 every feeding and one feeding every week, alternating between calcium with D3 and multivitamin so that they get each one every other week. Also, I keep my temps around 80 at basking. This in combination with diet helps to reduce egg production in my girls and therefore prolongs their lives.

I'm it sure what's going on. Do you know how many eggs she laid last time? Did she dig a hole and lay them in the hole and fill it in after?

I'm worried that she has retained eggs...but it it was truly 2 months ago that she laid the last batch it's a little long for her to still be ok if she did retain eggs IMHO.

Last edited:
Mealworms are ok once in a blue moon, but not good as a staple feeder. You’re on the right track with roaches and silkworms…my two favorite feeders. I give my chams 3-4 medium sized feeders, 3 days a week. I use phosphorus free calcium for every feeding, except one every other week, in which I use Reptivite with D3. That is a multivitamin and D3 combined and is easiest for me. There are many supplements and regimens, but the basic is the calcium with no D3 every feeding and one feeding every week, alternating between calcium with D3 and multivitamin so that they get each one every other week. Also, I keep my temps around 80 at basking. This in combination with diet helps to reduce egg production in my girls and therefore prolongs their lives.
Thank you so much, really. That was super useful info. I'm looking forward to getting the proper supplies my Delores needs so that she can live her best life ❤️

I'm it sure what's going on. Do you know how many eggs she laid last time? Did she dig a hole and lay them in the hole and fill it in after?

I'm worried that she has retained eggs...but it it was truly 2 months ago that she laid the last batch it's a little long for her to still be ok if she did retain eggs IMHO.
She had around 25 eggs in her last clutch, however the previous owners didn't know she needed a laybin, so they just ended up all over the enclosure and she wasn't able to dig up anywhere :(

Back
Top Bottom