Is my Baby sick?

KaelyD1516

I bought a very small jackson male chameleon a couple of days ago. He has a cage that is completely screen so very airy. I have been feeding him but I don’t think he’s eating because the crickets have just remained in there. I sat him in one place to put him in his terrarium yesterday and he was still there this morning, yes I turned off the lights completely during the night. He has a UVB & one of the blue “heat” bulbs that stay on for 12 hours. The temperature at the top near the light is around 85 and the temperature near the bottom is around 78. Plenty of bushes and vines as you can see in the background of the pictures. He isn’t moving around his cage but if I pick him up he does move his legs a little to latch onto me. I took him in the sun this morning and it seems to me like he can’t even open his eyes. His color is very dark, and he seems pretty skinny. I’ve dusted the crickets and very small meals worms (that he hadn’t touched in his cage) in the calcium powder and then the reptivite. I mist the cage fully down a couple times a day, and I use a water Dripper. I haven’t seen him drink at all either. Is anyone able to tell me what I could be doing to help him? Anyone know possibly what his age could be? I don’t wanna lose him but he seems to not be doing well at all.

Oh yeah, here are the pictures!

Attachments

• C72E682F-BACE-4DB9-A589-CA0D5297E6D6.jpeg
    C72E682F-BACE-4DB9-A589-CA0D5297E6D6.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 6B0FCB82-A9D0-4BA1-8C96-5DF7082CFC15.jpeg
    6B0FCB82-A9D0-4BA1-8C96-5DF7082CFC15.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 91
  • CB1B218B-9D71-4252-BFE7-F176978EBC4F.jpeg
    CB1B218B-9D71-4252-BFE7-F176978EBC4F.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 124
I live in Hawaii, so hopefully I can find a vet that takes care of them. Poor dude, he doesn’t look like he’s gonna make it. Worse part is I got him from a pet store and didn’t know what to look for I just assumed they would help me or better yet get their animals help if they needed it?

I live in Hawaii, so hopefully I can find a vet that takes care of them. Poor dude, he doesn’t look like he’s gonna make it. Worse part is I got him from a pet store and didn’t know what to look for I just assumed they would help me or better yet get their animals help if they needed it?
It’s super unfortunate that pet stores know basically nothing when it comes to reptiles :(
I got my little guy from an actual reptile store and they still gave me some janky info. Hopefully you can make it to the vet and he can recover!

Once that’s been posted let’s review the rest of your husbandry. Jackson’s are one of the more fragile species, especially the little ones.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2Photos can be very helpful.

He needs a long shower to start off and hopefully get him drinking.
"Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."

He needs a long shower to start off and hopefully get him drinking.
"Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."
As well as a shower and a vet visit, you need to lower your cage temps, 80 is plenty hot at the top and he needs a cool wet place around 70 even less lower and if you can get it a good nighttime drop down into the 60's would help (fog him at night).

I’m definitely not an expert by any means, but I have a veiled chameleon that had almost the same issues...her eyes looked just like your little guy’s and wasn’t eating. The vet diagnosed vitamin A deficiency and gave me some drops for her, which helped immensely! They also check for shed being stuck in the eyes, which could maybe be the problem since he’s shedding in the photos...either way I hope he has a speedy recovery!

Back
Top Bottom