Is Making your own vines for chameleon enclosure safe?

WashingtonCham

Established Member
I saw this video about making your own vines for your enclosure with burlap bags and peat moss I was just wondering if this would be safe inside a chameleon cage I don’t see why not as it’s mold resistant but just wanted some input. I know they wouldn’t be as sturdy as you’d like for a full size panther chameleon but thought they would make nice accent vines.

My biggest problem with these vines it the moss. I've seen two problems come from using moss covered branches. One is that some chameleons, especially young male panthers go through a bark chewing phase and can ingest too much moss and obstruct. The other is foot related, the moss keeps the vine wet and this can lead to foot infections that are difficult to treat.
It's used in the frog hobby and not really meant for chameleons.

My biggest problem with these vines it the moss. I've seen two problems come from using moss covered branches. One is that some chameleons, especially young male panthers go through a bark chewing phase and can ingest too much moss and obstruct. The other is foot related, the moss keeps the vine wet and this can lead to foot infections that are difficult to treat.
I always forget that young panthers go through a chewing phase.

I was thinking about substituting the moss for coconut fiber because that’s what I’ll be substituting on my walls cuz I’ve heard the same about moss.

I always forget that young panthers go through a chewing phase.
My guy will be a good 5 months or better before he’s in there but still rather play it safe, my setup will be all live plants I just was going to use vines as accent pieces

I was thinking about substituting the moss for coconut fiber because that’s what I’ll be substituting on my walls cuz I’ve heard the same about moss.
I think the outcome would be the same no matter what the material is. It’s the behavior that’s causing the issue, not the material.

Not wild about the burlap either. It would be strong enough but we generally don’t use fabrics much in the Cham hobby because Cham claws always seem to get stuck in them and occasionally breaking off.

If you do decide to do it start with just one and keep an eye on it.

I would either leave off the moss or use something like these. Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 1.30.11 PM.png

I would either leave off the moss or use something like these. View attachment 232561
Ok ty, yah I’ve found vines tough to buy online cuz you never really know what your going to get pictures are rarely accurate and some smell like plastic. Plus local shops have very little selection. So I’ll buy this guy and see how it goes I appreciate it. I have a pothos Golden pothos and a philodendron that will vine out eventually as well just a waiting game I suppose

Back
Top Bottom