Is it worth becoming her enemy with the goal of improving her habitat?

Queen Yarbo

I recently made a leap into becoming a proud owner of a Jackson Chameleon. I felt at the time that I purchased her off craigslist that I had done ample amount of research to keep my chameleon happy.

Her name is Farorish and is two years old, might be "pregnant", defintely is shedding, and so far has only eaten a couple of roaches and 1 cricket. I only handled her when removing her from the box. I did have to get close while arranging the pothos and fixing the misting sprays.

I was a bit overzealous the first two days. I rearranged her cage to improve the habitat, while she was in it. That was really really really stupid of me, I know. I fear I have pissed her off and worry about chance of recovery.

This is her original set up. It's a custom 36'' side to side, 12'' front to back, and 52'' tall enclosure. It is made of wood, glass, and screens and sits on a 29 gallon long aquarium as a base. I added a few more plants and vines the 2nd day of her living here and arranged the pothos vines so it was a bit more spread about.

I still want to add a couple more plants, ladders, and vines. My boyfriend bought a Schefferla and since she has no interest in nomming on leaves I added my peace lily. We are planning to put in a hibiscus, orchid, and ferns. Along with a lot more vines and ladders.

I want to alter the habitat that came with her, I really would love to add a drainage system ASAP so I can stop harrassing her everyday when I mop up the water in the aquiram on the bottom.

It is next to my TV, I live in a share a house with a couple of dudes and the attic is my sanctuary. She's under the sun light and it does seem like the best/only location for her. At night I cover her home with a blanket since I am well known to fall asleep watching TV. I have two barely dogs, an eight and three pound Chihuahua. She is more bothered by me and my dogs are interested in the crickets.

I’ve also heard mixed reviews on keeping a chameleon in an aquarium. Do you think the wooden portion of her enclosure would be large enough? I’d prefer to remove the aquarium all together and set it up on a draining system. I've gone through two rolls of paper towels in the three days she's been here.

I've seriously pissed her off with all my harrassment. Would it be advised to wait a week with this current less than desirable set up? Or should I just get it over and done with right away?

ALSO,
I currently have a monsoon RS400 that also came with her enclosure. I know Mist King is better, but I want to keep the system that came with her for as long as possible. The cycling doesn’t seem to be working so I intend on plugging it into a timer along with the lights. Keeping the humidity and heat up has been a struggle.

give her as much interrupted time as possible. it's not too far gone she just needs time to adjust.

I think your bigger issue is if she is gravid. You better get her a lay bin set up. If you don't it could kill her as some chams will hold on to the eggs and get bound up.

I think your bigger issue is if she is gravid. You better get her a lay bin set up. If you don't it could kill her as some chams will hold on to the eggs and get bound up.

She is a Jackson Chameleon and I was informed that females give birth essentially, so there is no need for a laying bin.

Her eye is swollen. She's either fat or she's gravid. If she's gravid you need to leave her alone so she can have the (live birth) babies without stress.

Be specific please. What supplements are you using? How often for each?
What do you feed/gutload the insects with?
Do you have a UVB light? Dripper?

Back
Top Bottom