Is it too early to place the cage outside?

astroprojector

I was wondering when can I place my Jackson outside. What are the acceptable temp ranges they can tolerate?

I am in South Cal. I checked the weather for the next week and it is ranges between 47 at night and 78 during the day.

I have a spot where there is partial sun and I have a spot where there is sun all the time between noon and evening.

I was going to schedule the misting for every hour during the hotter parts of the day.

The temps would be alright ... BUT ... I would worry about the shock of dramatic change in temperature. You may want to slowly acclimate him to the change and bring him in at night until it gets a bit warmer.
There are chameleons outside right now in similar weather conditions (not here) but they have been out for awhile and adjusted ... this may not be necessary, but you might want to play it safe.

-Brad

I would wait just a little longer or like Brad said dont do it all at once, do it little at a time. What are your temps at in the house?

I really want to bring Jasper outside but its still low 30's here at night and mid 50's in the day!

If it was me I would wait a little longer until your at least in the 70's. I am in FL and have only had mine out a few times already when we had warm 70's. I don't leave them out all night either, just during the day for a few hours to sun bath.

It has been a week now since I had the cage outside, but apparently winter in So. Cal. is not over. We are to expect a cooler weather with rain this week.

tn.jpg

tn1.jpg

This is what expected
Tomorrow - Partly Cloudy, High 67 Low 50
Wed - Few Showers, High: 58° Low: 44°
Thur - Rain/Thunder, High: 61° Low: 44°.
Fri - Mostly Sunny High: 67° Low: 49°

Do I have to drag the whole setup back in the house, or can I cover it with plastic and install a hotter bulb? Currently I have 40 watt bulb installed.

If you cover it with plastic you'd need to hook up a UVB bulb under the plastic since the sunlights natural UVB will not pass through plastic. I had my panthers out into october here in michigan where the temps were 70's during the day and mid to low fifties at night. Every night I took 5 king sized comforters and covers the fronts and sides of all the cages. They had ceramic heaters installed close to each of their sleeping spots ensuring temps didn't get below 55 or 60 where they were actually sleeping and had basking bulbs during the day so they could reach optimum temperature. It was alot of work but I'd like to think the extra couple weeks of real sun made their winter a little easier. In about another month They will be outside here again, as long at it stay in the seventies during the day and mid fifties at night. With the cages covered the way I had them covered in addition to the ceramic heaters it stayed between 7 and 11 degrees warmed than it was outside on average in the warmer part of the cage where the chams slept.

Justin

I bring all my lizards out for the summer when spring temps are above 50 nights (I don't worry about days). I bring them back in for the winter when temps again drop below 50 in the early fall (again, I don't worry about day temps).

I've been doing this for 15 years with all sorts of chams and other lizards including very tropical species and I've never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom