Is it possible to breed out an Albino Chameleon?

Scanning the web for information on albino chameleons! Was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of one! Other then that I was curious about the topic of cross species breeding such as the panther and the ouslette or the giant spiney chameleon. Do we have any cross species breeding success?

If you search the forums for "crossbreeding" I'm sure you'll find a lot of discussion. It comes up every once in a while. There are only a couple of cham species that have diversified coloration....the main one is the panther, but most are still pretty close genetically. There hasn't been as much deliberate crossing as in ball pythons for example. Some of the panther locales can cross but not all of them. I don't know of any captive panther/verrucosus crosses. Seem to recall one Oustaleti panther cross has come up on the forum in the past year, but I don't really know how they verified it.

I don't understand why anyone would want to select for albinism. It results in a lot of misery for the animals. A cham's color is such a fluid characteristic (except for eye color) it might be very difficult to figure out how it would manifest in a cham as its a hormonally-controlled process, not a stable state. There is a trait in veileds called "translucent", but that's not albinism per se. More a failure of the ability to change color in specific patches of skin. But, someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Why breed to eliminate one of the very traits we love about chams? Some people like their trans veileds. They don't appeal to me at all.

Back
Top Bottom