Is it possible for Chameleons to have MBD and Lung Disease?

JOSHWAH

Hi my chameleon is diagnosed with MBD, we force fed him quite some amount of liquid medicines. Now i can see his body bulging and shrinking as he breathes, i heard him make some weird breathing sounds a few times and he turned yellow

Yes ...it is possible but that deep breathing is also something that happens when a chameleon is suffering from organ failure, dying, etc.

Yes ...it is possible but that deep breathing is also something that happens when a chameleon is suffering from organ failure, dying, etc.
Vet says he might not be dying, and he only has deep breathing and makes some weird coughing like sounds after a while when i force feed him a lot of medication. IS it normal?

When you force feed you have to be sure to insert the feeder tube/syringe down the throat a bit. Unlike humans the opening to the lungs is toward the front of the mouth. If you put too much liquid toward the front the chameleon will aspirate some into the lungs.

When you force feed you have to be sure to insert the feeder tube/syringe down the throat a bit. Unlike humans the opening to the lungs is toward the front of the mouth. If you put too much liquid toward the front the chameleon will aspirate some into the lungs.
So your saying i should put the syring deeper into the throat??

So your saying i should put the syring deeper into the throat??
I don't know how deep you were doing it before. You said you are giving "quite some amount", which to me sounds like large dosages of liquid meds. Like kinyonga said, you should give small amounts at a time. Hold the chameleon with his nose pointing up, give a small amount in the very back of his throat, let him close his month and swallow, repeat until all meds are consumed.
The breathing noises you are hearing after medicating MAY be from him aspirating some of the meds and trying to clear his lungs.

I don't know how deep you were doing it before. You said you are giving "quite some amount", which to me sounds like large dosages of liquid meds. Like kinyonga said, you should give small amounts at a time. Hold the chameleon with his nose pointing up, give a small amount in the very back of his throat, let him close his month and swallow, repeat until all meds are consumed.
The breathing noises you are hearing after medicating MAY be from him aspirating some of the meds and trying to clear his lungs.
I feed him 0.5ml a time. btw is it possible for him to get lung disease from putting medication/water

I am not sure how to feed him, but the vet told me to pinch his chin not to hard and pull down until his mouth is open. what do you guys think

Back
Top Bottom