Is it normal for my chameleon to have black marks around his eyes?

SorSor24

3F508441-7A60-4686-B93E-6983E6CF82BA.jpeg

My veiled chameleon that I have recently purchased came with both of his eyes having a sort of black/white color to them. Is this normal or should I take it to the vet? because I have seen chameleons online with marks on their eyes and I don’t know if this is the same.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

Take pics of the backs of the back feet and we can help you identify the gender.
Also we help you make sure your chameleon husbandry is on point, if you fill out the help form.
I will take some photos and fill it out in a little bit, and the terrarium isn't quite finished yet because my terrarium hood light hasn't shown up yet and the live plants are still rather young so they can't quite reach the top of the terrarium.

He/she is so precious! 🥰 The only thing I’d add is that all fake plants need to be replaced with veiled-tested chameleon-safe live ones. Also, you said the terrarium hood hasn’t come in yet, does that mean that your little guy/gal doesn’t have UVB right now? You must keep us updated with progress pics and their name!

Your Chameleon -Veiled Chameleon, unknown, and age of your chameleon. Since the 29th of January
Handling - I usually try to take out my cham for a couple of minutes a day just for it to get used to me, and I only take it out if it's not trying to get away, I never try to chase it down.
Feeding - I feed my cham crickets and mealworms daily. I put in around 6 crickets a little after my cham wakes up with cal without d3 powder and 3 mealworms a couple of hours before lights off with cal without d3 and whatever it doesn't eat I throw away. I haven't started gut loading yet but I am starting it tomorrow and getting a cricket keeper.
Supplements - I have repticalcium without d3 for ever meal and repticalcium with d3 for every other week and a vitamin A supplement on the way.
Watering - I have a dripper, I mist 2 times a day until my cham starts going down to drink and realizes there is water, I always see my cham drinking when I mist.
Fecal Description - decent sized dark and a little white one. has not been tested for parasites to my knowledge.
History - Nothing noteworthy
Cage Info:
Cage Type - 16x16x30
Lighting - Zoo med Reptisun 10.0 UVB mini compact fluorescent(I have a Zoo Med Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood - 14 on the way), I don't know what kind of heat lamp I have, About 12 hours on 12 hours off
Temperature - The coldest area is around 60-70 and hottest around 80-85, about 60-70, I have 2 thermometers
Humidity -the lowest level it gets is 40 and the highest is around 80-70, I spray twice a day until my cham realizes there is water, I use "BALDR Digital Hygrometer & Indoor Thermometer - Accurate Humidity Gauge Indicator, Room Temperature, and Humidity Monitor - Mini Hygrometer" on amazon
Plants - I have a dwarf umbrella tree, a weeping fig, and I also have a golden pathos that I am growing to put in later
Placement - The Cage is in my room which is low traffic, on top of a shelf about 20 inches off the ground(i am buying a taller shelf soon)
Location - Central Washington
Current Problem - Just making sure I am being a good cham owner and that I have everything I need

He/she is so precious! 🥰 The only thing I’d add is that all fake plants need to be replaced with veiled-tested chameleon-safe live ones. Also, you said the terrarium hood hasn’t come in yet, does that mean that your little guy/gal doesn’t have UVB right now? You must keep us updated with progress pics and their name!
Thank you so much! I have a UVB it's just small and doesn't do enough from what I've read. And I will for sure be posting more pictures of my cham in the future!

Thank you so much! I have a UVB it's just small and doesn't do enough from what I've read. And I will for sure be posting more pictures of my cham in the future!
Is it the compact coil screw-in bulb? What strength/type of linear fixture and strenght and brand of linear UVB bulb did you order?

Is it the compact coil screw-in bulb? What strength/type of linear fixture and strenght and brand of linear UVB bulb did you order?
I got the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent (13 watts) off amazon which is really small. and I bought the Zoo Med Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood - 14", Black off amazon as well and it comes with a Reptisun 5.0 UVB T5 HO Linear Fluorescent Lamp

I got the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent (13 watts) off amazon which is really small. and I bought the Zoo Med Reptisun T5-Ho Terrarium Hood - 14", Black off amazon as well and it comes with a Reptisun 5.0 UVB T5 HO Linear Fluorescent Lamp
So you’ll want to get a T5 HO linear fixture the length of, or a foot longer than, what his/her biggest enclosure will be for the length of the fixture. With the Zoo Med 5.0 linear bulbs, they need to be replaced every 6 months, while Arcadia 6% (the only other recommended linear brand) is yearly. So after the Zoo Med bulb is 6 months old, I’d recommend replacing it with an Arcadia 6% (make sure to order whichever brand you want before the old one expires so the bulb is with you when it’s time to replace). Definitely get a Solarmeter 6.5 if you afford it! It’ll give you precise UVI readings, tell you if a bulb is defective (I order two at a time for every one I need just in case and so I have two ready if they’re both effective), and it will let you know when a bulb actually needs to be replaced (when the readings are cut in half)

So you’ll want to get a T5 HO linear fixture the length of, or a foot longer than, what his/her biggest enclosure will be for the length of the fixture. With the Zoo Med 5.0 linear bulbs, they need to be replaced every 6 months, while Arcadia 6% (the only other recommended linear brand) is yearly. So after the Zoo Med bulb is 6 months old, I’d recommend replacing it with an Arcadia 6% (make sure to order whichever brand you want before the old one expires so the bulb is with you when it’s time to replace). Definitely get a Solarmeter 6.5 if you afford it! It’ll give you precise UVI readings, tell you if a bulb is defective (I order two at a time for every one I need just in case and so I have two ready if they’re both effective), and it will let you know when a bulb actually needs to be replaced (when the readings are cut in half)
So the bulb that is coming will work fine?

Back
Top Bottom