Is he sick?

curly

I have a 6 week old baby veiled chameleon named curly. yesterday he was fine, moving allot, eating allot and as a nice bright color..But now he kinda hides in the back behind his long plants that hang from the back of his terrarium..he is drinking allot but not eating so much...I have this setup CLICK ME ... He ate a bigger cricket yesterday because i ran out of small one (cold winter killed half on my porch) He ate it fine..it had calcium on it and the one he had earlier yesterday had reptivite on it..but since that big cricket he hasnt eaten much..what could be wrong

setup:
65 Gallon Reptarium (28x16.5x30"), 24" UV Hood, 18" UV 5.0 Bulb, Clip Lamp, Heat Bulb, Large Tropical Vines, High Range Thermometer, 4 Quarts Green Moss

Last edited by a moderator:
With the given info, it is impossible to say for sure. It is important not to feed over sized crickets to baby chameleons. Your worries are not over once it is swallowed, as impaction can occur. Make sure the chameleon is drinking and feed it the proper sized food.

Last edited:
Well he could just be full after all im sure their stomachs are probaby pretty small I know when bob was small he didnt eat a whole whole lot

He can go a day or so without food.
I bet he'll eat tomorrow.
These kind of early baby worries are common and usually don't amount to anything serious.
Don't worry yet.

-Brad

At that age he should be eating a lot more than one cricket per day. Is he sleeping during the day or showing any other signs of not being well?

What it the basking temperature in the cage?
Is he drinking?

how big do they have to be to eat big crickets? My Lola is about 2 months old aproximately and I've been feeding her big crickets, she's been eating them fine, she actually really seems to like them, but if they are too big, I will switch, how big should they be and how many should I be giving her, and also should I give them all to her at the same time? because she's a bit of a pig and she eats alot.

he drinks alot and freely roams the cage in search for them..if he sees a smaller one (1/4 in.) he passes it but if he sees the big ones (3/4 in.) he eats em' right away.he goes to sleep around 9:30 PM and wakes up around 7:00 AM...he ate a piece of a carrot today and he seemed to like it alot..he goes to the bathroom good to..no blockage there

he drinks alot and freely roams the cage in search for them..if he sees a smaller one (1/4 in.) he passes it but if he sees the big ones (3/4 in.) he eats em' right away.he goes to sleep around 9:30 PM and wakes up around 7:00 AM...he ate a piece of a carrot today and he seemed to like it alot..he goes to the bathroom good to..no blockage there

3/4" crickets are much too large for your Chameleon Curly. There should be sizes between 1/4 and 3/4 for you to use. In general all crickets should be smaller than the width of the distant between the edges of the head/eyes.

Rather than feeding a few big, or maybe too big, prey items, my preferred method is to feed more smaller ones.
Keeps the little fellow much more active, hunting all day or in stages throughout the day, and provides the chameleon with smaller, easily digestible doses of food.

Back
Top Bottom