is he shy or sick?

My guy will open his mouth as part of his swallowing process, especially if he took a mouthful - for instance 2 crickets at a time or a dubia.

Hi lads,
I have done most of the changes and I’m going to post the new terrarium setup today in the afternoon.

However, I still have some doubts I would like to clarify with you?

I got rid of the substrate soil, but googling around I read that a dry moss mixture could be a good substitute or alternative.
Also I have set the heat light a couple of inch above the screen lid, but I found my chamy hooked on the lid just below the heat light, is this ok?

Yesterday I went home during lunch time and he was fine, yet in the evening after work he was very dark, I put him on the ficus outside of the cage to calm him down but still he doesn’t eat.

I hope to sort it asap because I don’t want to see him suffering for my mistakes.

Hi lads,
I have done most of the changes and I’m going to post the new terrarium setup today in the afternoon.

However, I still have some doubts I would like to clarify with you?

I got rid of the substrate soil, but googling around I read that a dry moss mixture could be a good substitute or alternative.
Also I have set the heat light a couple of inch above the screen lid, but I found my chamy hooked on the lid just below the heat light, is this ok?

Yesterday I went home during lunch time and he was fine, yet in the evening after work he was very dark, I put him on the ficus outside of the cage to calm him down but still he doesn’t eat.

I hope to sort it asap because I don’t want to see him suffering for my mistakes.

I would still say no substrate at this point would be better.

Were you able to get the thermometer and hygrometer? That is how you would adjust the height of your basking light.

Ok my computer is acting freaky too.

If your cham is not eating yet, you may want to take him/her to a vet specializing in reptiles.

My other thought would be that may be your cham is already impacted. Have you see your cham poop in the last couple of days? I know the other day you had said it was kind of orange. Was it large? You could place your cham in a warm water bath for 5 to 15 min to see if that will help her pass what ever is blocking.

Your safest bet at this point would be to take to a vet just in case.

Also could you post a pic of you new set up?

Hope that helps

OPI

I have covered the side walls with green papers and last nite i added more foliage on the colder side of the cage.
It looks he feels better...colour changed (still dark but lighter than the last couple of days).
Got locusts instead of crickets and I guess he has already eaten 2/3 of them :)
when I put him on the ficus he looks happier and he changes colour straight away.
Couldnt find any fecal deposit
I ll go back home during my lunch break just to check him out.
I put hygrometer and thermometer..i ll post the results either today in the evening or tomorrow.

Attachments

• cage.JPG
    cage.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 120
Is that the whole of your cage? or is there more at the bottom? If it is all your cage it looks far too small for him. Chams very, very rarely go on the floor as they are tree dwellers and need height. Put his cage on top of a chest of drawers or something so that he is always above your eye level and give him some more plants, it looks quite bare. Go into B&Q and get a ficus tree for £13, I got one yesterday as my cham's cage looked a little bare and he seemed a bit shy. I put the ficus tree in and he has already lightened his colours because he has more foliage to hide in.

Good god pet shops suck balls!

Edit: By the way the heatmat is totally unnecessary, chams absorb heat from their backs and he'll get all the heat he needs from the bulb.

Last edited:
Suspend the flouro tube above the cage and provide horizontal branches, one should be under the heatlight as a basking spot.
I reccomend setting up a dripper and losing the fountain, really, its useless and has drawbacks.
A dripper can be as simple or well made as you like. Im sure youll find examples here (links please people?) Moving/falling water drops are more enticing for your cham to drink, especially if the drops run over and collect on the leaves of a live (safe) plant [checkout the safe plant page https://www.chameleonforums.com/plants/

You will need to ensure drainage and collection as it should run prefrably all day.

Your improvements are looking better.

Like previous posters have said, Chameleons don't come down onto the ground at all. He will always be up in a tree, or climbing on vines. In fact, they like being as HIGH UP as possible!

Put some more plants in your cage (live ones are preferable!) and get some bendy vines that you can position in the cage for him to climb on. Putting features near the bottom of the cage for him is nearly useless, he won't use them.

Position one of your vines so that it gives him a spot about 8" from your heat bulb, for a basking spot. Make sure to take a temperature reading AT the basking spot so it's not too hot for him.

It's great to see you making improvements for your guy. I hope he does well.

I'm concerned about the left wrist on your chameleon...might only be the picture, but it doesn't look quite right. I would like to see a picture of him with his arm not tucked up like that (like at a 90 degree angle at the elbow).

What do you feed/gutload the insects with?
What do you supplement with and how often for each? Please be specific.

Get your lights out of the cage and put them above your chameleon.

Get the waterfall out of the cage. Mist to raise your humidity.

Lots more live plants needed and vines too. Make sure and put catch trays underneath them for water drainage (if you don't have something set up). A catch tray will also be necessary for your dripper.

NO SUBSTRATE - Put paper towels down if you don't have it set up for drainage.

I would worry about the ventilation (or rather lack of it) with that enclosure.

It would be very helpful if you read that link "Raising Kitty" that was posted for you earlier in this thread. Your guy does not look happy.

Back
Top Bottom