Is he ok??

Juanns01

I have a chameleon that I got back in September around three months old. Because of the pandemic, I unfortunately couldn’t purchase any supplements as I sold my supplements to a friend who needed them for his Cham. I didn’t purchase the supplements until a month ago. He sheds about once every two weeks but doesn’t seem to grow a whole lot. Is his growth stunted for life or will he just have to bounce back with time?

Sounds like there is more then just a lack of correct supplementation going on.... Supplements are extremely important during the growth of a baby. Because our feeders are not balanced in the calcium to phos levels we have to supplement the calcium without d3 to ensure the bones grow strong and that the cham does not have an imbalance.

Fill out this form with detail and pics of the chameleon along with pics of the entire enclosure including the lights. This is the only way members can give you thorough feedback.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon and I think female but am not sure, and I have had her for about two months.
  • Handling - Once a week, but never when shedding or getting ready to shed.
  • Feeding - I feed Dubai roaches, cricket, and fruit flies. I feed ten every feeding but some don’t get eaten. I gutload with carrots and spring mix.
  • Supplements - I just now am using Zoo med Reptical with d3 and will use without d3 too. With d3 once a week and without every day besides when I feed d3.
  • Watering - I use an automatic mister, a mistking. I mist for 10 minutes at 8, 5 minutes at 12 and 3, then for another 10 minutes at 6. I see her drink all the time and it has time to dry in between.
  • Fecal Description - The urine is always a white color never been orange. And the consistency has been soft, but thick and holds together. The bugs are fully digested.
  • History - I don’t know much about the history but all I know is that she is 5 months old today and is a very good eater.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I use an unknown brand of cage I found on Amazon, and is 17x17x30in.
  • Lighting - I use a fluckers dimmable dome for basking, and a zoo med 5.0 led linear bulb. It turns on at 7AM and turns off at 8 PM.
  • Temperature - It stays at 70 degrees on the cool side and 85 on the basking spot, but in the winter I raise the basking spot up to help raise the temp. The coldest it gets at night are 60-63 degrees. I try to keep it at 65 at night.
  • Humidity - 50-60% at day, but at night i try to raise it to at least 70%. I have live plants that help and I use a hygrometer.
  • Plants - I have a spider plant in now and am getting a pot his and hibiscus for her soon.
  • Placement - My cage is three feet away from a floor vent, and is about two feet off the ground at the lowest part of the enclosur.
  • Location - Plattsmouth Nebraska

Current Problem - Is my Cham ok and will he grow more?

This is her/his enclosure

Attachments

• D19A887D-363A-4068-AAE9-60485550CCD2.jpeg
    D19A887D-363A-4068-AAE9-60485550CCD2.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 6E61753C-A54C-44F7-AA3E-DF07D8EBC44F.jpeg
    6E61753C-A54C-44F7-AA3E-DF07D8EBC44F.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 90
  • BB108C2E-2764-4651-9F85-FC9CC2F209C4.jpeg
    BB108C2E-2764-4651-9F85-FC9CC2F209C4.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 83
  • AF542696-9EB3-473D-AA4E-2738FDC2A3EF.jpeg
    AF542696-9EB3-473D-AA4E-2738FDC2A3EF.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 81
I’m not trying to come off as rude, but why buy a chameleon when you can’t afford it’s supplements?
You’re not being rude and I bought the chameleo, then the same day went to buy the supplements online and they were all sold out. Petco and petsmart didn’t have any so I used eggshell calcium but it didn’t stick very well. When i bought the supplement, they came a week later because of “the pandemic”.

@Juanns01 See my feedback in red bold.

• Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon and I think female but am not sure, and I have had her for about two months.
  • Feeding - I feed Dubai roaches, cricket, and fruit flies. I feed ten every feeding but some don’t get eaten. I gutload with carrots and spring mix.
  • Supplements - I just now am using Zoo med Reptical with d3 and will use without d3 too. With d3 once a week and without every day besides when I feed d3. Calcium with D3 should only be used every other week so two times a month then you need a multivitamin as well to give the opposite week that you do the calcium with D3 two times a month. THen you would use the calcium without D3 at all other feedings.
  • Watering - I use an automatic mister, a mistking. I mist for 10 minutes at 8, 5 minutes at 12 and 3, then for another 10 minutes at 6. I see her drink all the time and it has time to dry in between. Your misting quite heavily. Typically we only recommend misting morning and evening. Misting during the day increases the risk for an RI because the enclosure is always wet and never dries out fully.
  • Fecal Description - The urine is always a white color never been orange. And the consistency has been soft, but thick and holds together. The bugs are fully digested. Get a fecal test run by a vet to ensure she does not have a parasite issue.
  • History - I don’t know much about the history but all I know is that she is 5 months old today and is a very good eater.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I use an unknown brand of cage I found on Amazon, and is 17x17x30in. This will be too small for an adult. And if she is a female you will have to incorporate a permanent lay bin. You will want to upgrade to a 2x2x4 ft size.
  • Lighting - I use a fluckers dimmable dome for basking, and a zoo med 5.0 led linear bulb. It turns on at 7AM and turns off at 8 PM. Is the UVB a t5Ho fixture or a T8 fixture?
  • Temperature - It stays at 70 degrees on the cool side and 85 on the basking spot, but in the winter I raise the basking spot up to help raise the temp. The coldest it gets at night are 60-63 degrees. I try to keep it at 65 at night. Basking is too hot for a female. You want it no hotter then 80 at the branch.
  • Humidity - 50-60% at day, but at night i try to raise it to at least 70%. I have live plants that help and I use a hygrometer.
  • Plants - I have a spider plant in now and am getting a pot his and hibiscus for her soon.
  • Placement - My cage is three feet away from a floor vent, and is about two feet off the ground at the lowest part of the enclosur.
There are no horizontal branches below the UVB... Depending on the distance needed for the UVB type your using you really need more branches below it so she can access UVB easily.

Start reading this. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

and this https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Either she is not as old as you think she is or there is something going on. Could very well be from the lack of supplementation. Or there could be a parasite issue that is causing a reduced growth rate.

You’re not being rude and I bought the chameleo, then the same day went to buy the supplements online and they were all sold out. Petco and petsmart didn’t have any so I used eggshell calcium but it didn’t stick very well. When i bought the supplement, they came a week later because of “the pandemic”.
Just trying to clarify, but you also said you gave away your supplements to a friend. Why not split the bottle 50/50?

@Juanns01 See my feedback in red bold.

• Supplements - I just now am using Zoo med Reptical with d3 and will use without d3 too. With d3 once a week and without every day besides when I feed d3. Calcium with D3 should only be used every other week so two times a month then you need a multivitamin as well to give the opposite week that you do the calcium with D3 two times a month. THen you would use the calcium without D3 at all other feedings.
  • Watering - I use an automatic mister, a mistking. I mist for 10 minutes at 8, 5 minutes at 12 and 3, then for another 10 minutes at 6. I see her drink all the time and it has time to dry in between. Your misting quite heavily. Typically we only recommend misting morning and evening. Misting during the day increases the risk for an RI because the enclosure is always wet and never dries out fully.
  • Fecal Description - The urine is always a white color never been orange. And the consistency has been soft, but thick and holds together. The bugs are fully digested. Get a fecal test run by a vet to ensure she does not have a parasite issue.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I use an unknown brand of cage I found on Amazon, and is 17x17x30in. This will be too small for an adult. And if she is a female you will have to incorporate a permanent lay bin. You will want to upgrade to a 2x2x4 ft size.
  • Lighting - I use a fluckers dimmable dome for basking, and a zoo med 5.0 led linear bulb. It turns on at 7AM and turns off at 8 PM. Is the UVB a t5Ho fixture or a T8 fixture?
  • Temperature - It stays at 70 degrees on the cool side and 85 on the basking spot, but in the winter I raise the basking spot up to help raise the temp. The coldest it gets at night are 60-63 degrees. I try to keep it at 65 at night. Basking is too hot for a female. You want it no hotter then 80 at the branch.
There are no horizontal branches below the UVB... Depending on the distance needed for the UVB type your using you really need more branches below it so she can access UVB easily.

Start reading this. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

and this https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Either she is not as old as you think she is or there is something going on. Could very well be from the lack of supplementation. Or there could be a parasite issue that is causing a reduced growth rate.
Ok thank you, also between the mistings it fully dries out. I’m adding more live plants but the humidity now is 50%. I will try and get a vet visit soon to check on her. Also I talked to a guy who is very experienced with almost every reptile. He is a rescue and had a female chameleon. Would it be ok if I give her calcium mixed with water with a syringe. I know how to because their air tube is on the bottom and if you just squirt it in their mouth theres a big chance they could suffocate.

Ok thank you, also between the mistings it fully dries out. I’m adding more live plants but the humidity now is 50%. I will try and get a vet visit soon to check on her. Also I talked to a guy who is very experienced with almost every reptile. He is a rescue and had a female chameleon. Would it be ok if I give her calcium mixed with water with a syringe. I know how to because their air tube is on the bottom and if you just squirt it in their mouth theres a big chance they could suffocate.
No, it would not be ok to give it to her that way... If he told you to do that then I would be cautious about what the is telling you. Just because someone is experienced with reptiles does not mean they have the hands on experience with a chameleon. They are very specific in their care requirements and with all the incorrect info out there on them it is very easy to make a major mistake.

No, it would not be ok to give it to her that way... If he told you to do that then I would be cautious about what the is telling you. Just because someone is experienced with reptiles does not mean they have the hands on experience with a chameleon. They are very specific in their care requirements and with all the incorrect info out there on them it is very easy to make a major mistake.
Sorry, that came came out wrong. I rescued a Cham and she was very sick from where I got her. She lasted about a week and he told me to giver her liquid nutrition because she wouldn’t eat. I was just wondering if I could give this Cham liquid nutrition because it is just calcium and water

Always have the things you need ready before you get the chameleon.

Sorry, that came came out wrong. I rescued a Cham and she was very sick from where I got her. She lasted about a week and he told me to giver her liquid nutrition because she wouldn’t eat. I was just wondering if I could give this Cham liquid nutrition because it is just calcium and water
We do not force feed or force hydrate until it is the last resort. As in the chameleon will die without it. This is not your situation. This is very very stressful for the chameleon and not natural. It can also be dangerous as their airway is in the front so you can very easily aspirate them. You will only use the powder dusted on the feeders. Not in the water.

Try a feeder run for the enclosure to put the feeders in rather then free feeding. Then you can tell exactly how many are being eaten. Make sure feeder size is appropriate to the size of the chameleon. Too big and they will back off them.

These are two runs I like.
I like the large size in this one https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories

I like the 3 inch diameter chameleon feeder in this one. https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/feedercups

We do not force feed or force hydrate until it is the last resort. As in the chameleon will die without it. This is not your situation. This is very very stressful for the chameleon and not natural. It can also be dangerous as their airway is in the front so you can very easily aspirate them. You will only use the powder dusted on the feeders. Not in the water.

Try a feeder run for the enclosure to put the feeders in rather then free feeding. Then you can tell exactly how many are being eaten. Make sure feeder size is appropriate to the size of the chameleon. Too big and they will back off them.

These are two runs I like.
I like the large size in this one https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories

I like the 3 inch diameter chameleon feeder in this one. https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/feedercups
Ok thanks. He’s been shedding a lot ever science i got the supplements, I just don’t see a huge change.

So when should I be worried if his growth is stunted or if he needs a vet visit. I’m really trying my hardest and to keep a healthy happy chameleon.

I have changed everything Beman told me to do and since that 3 months, and my chameleon has grown a lot. I still am unable to determine sex but looking like a male. Everyone has been saying he’s getting huge so big thanks to Beman, you helped lots

Back
Top Bottom