Is Fred growing ok?!

Does Fred look like he’s a heathy size for 8 months old? He isn’t much of a eater so I want to make sure he is growing correctly!

Attachments

• F8186021-7C87-4B44-B6A8-8C5DBBDCFC6A.jpeg
    F8186021-7C87-4B44-B6A8-8C5DBBDCFC6A.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 120
He is a little small for age and his color not very bright. What are you feeding him and how about trying some foods he has not had yet to help him stir up a appetite! ?

There are soooo many different kinds of feeders one can use! Meal worms should never be given to a chameleon! They can cause constipation and hardly have any nutritional value!

There are many different kinds of roaches that can be fead. There are silk worms, super worms, horn worms, there are a couple of different kinds of stick bugs, there are different kinds of flies with the black soldier fly and it's larvae commonly considered as one of the healthier feeders out there. The list goes on and on! But please, never another meal worm again!

All bugs fed should also be dusted with vitamins and minerals (please look at the schedule suggested on our care sheets here on the forums).

Most importantly every bug fed to the chameleon should be very well gutloaded. There are many posts on proper gutloading here on the forums. Please do some research.

Hey, you took a good first step by asking about your chameleon! Glad for it! Now, let's get this little guy healthy before it is too late!

There was debate in Noah's previous thread from January whether it was a male or a female. Also, they posted the help form in a different previous thread, too. I'll copy/paste it here for everyone's convenience:

"
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Purple bar ambilobe panther chameleon, Unknown sex, 4 months old. It’s been in my care for 2 months.

• Handling - I handle it around 3 times a week.

• Feeding - Crickets and Superworms. I keep 15 superworms in a bowl and 12-15 crickets in there at all times. I put calcium w/o D3 in every dusting except for once a month I use D3.

• Supplements - Read above -

• Watering - I use a mister. 70-80 % humidity at all times. I do watch my chameleon drink.

• Fecal Description - No he/she has not been tested for parasites. It’s feces is usually brown and whitish.

• History - It is adorable

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen; 24x24x48.

• Lighting - I use a 5.0 uvb and a

• Temperature - 80-90 degrees. 60 degrees at night. I use a thermometer.

• Humidity - 70-80 % at all times.

• Plants - I use a live plant and fake plants. (I forgot what the live plant was called but i looked at a list when I bought it to make sure it was safe).

• Placement - It is not by any windows or traffic. It’s 4 feet from the ground.

• Location - Illinois."

Yes, I agree that "Fred" is more likely a "Frederica." If it's a female, it would be closer to it's ideal size/weight for the alleged age. Coloration could also be normal if it's a female. Do you have any pictures with tail extended from the side to try and better sex the chameleon?

I agree with the ambiguous look but I have had males with that look (including the nose and head shape and the wide looking tail base - though the supplied picture is not optimal), looking very much like that all the way to 8 or even 9 months old! But with this little guy/girl I feel that health problems are setting in! I did not remember that we tried to help this person before! How dissapointing that meal worms is still in the picture and that the chameleons diet still only consist of two items! Our time and energy we put in to helping people not paying off is such a dissapointment!

@Noah_mayfield please, please listen to and implement what we tell you! Please! If you don't your chameleon will not survive much longer but rather die a sad painful death! Please!!!!!!!!

Ok so I understand a lot of you are disappointed with me right now but I do want the best care for my chameleon so please hit me with advice so he does not die!

Attachments

• A18B0EA1-95FB-4BF6-BCE0-F9F0C16741C1.jpeg
    A18B0EA1-95FB-4BF6-BCE0-F9F0C16741C1.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 11516E41-36E5-4CE7-9A2D-63F254B8C8FF.jpeg
    11516E41-36E5-4CE7-9A2D-63F254B8C8FF.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 91
  • B139650A-B1C8-4144-A7F2-A1FCBC275D02.jpeg
    B139650A-B1C8-4144-A7F2-A1FCBC275D02.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 68
For starters, can you tell us what you have been feeding them lately and how much? It is highly unusual for an 8 month old to "not be much of an eater." Lack of appetite makes me concerned that there are likely underlying health problems... It's great that you found this site, but please, if you ask for advice and we give it to you - you need to listen to us and implement changes we suggest. I just want to remind you that we are not trying to be mean or gang up on you, but we are just trying to make sure our advice really gets through to you and that you understand the life of your chameleon is on the line.

It looks like you still haven't changed out your UVB light, either. Another recommendation is that you need to be using a linear tube UVB, not the compact bulb it looks like you're using. The compact ones are no good

Another recommendation is that you need to be using a linear tube UVB, not the compact bulb it looks like you're using. The compact ones are no good
Reptisun 5.0 works wonders too; many people mistake linear for only arcadia's UVB bulbs and those + their respective tops are waaaaay more expensive.

Reptisun 5.0 works wonders too; many people mistake linear for only arcadia's UVB bulbs and those + their respective tops are waaaaay more expensive.

Well yes... Reptisun 5.0 would be included in the "linear tube UVB" I mentioned. It's the go-to. Far more people here seem to use reptisun models. I have not ever seen people get confused like that before

Back
Top Bottom