Is 'Croton' a safe plant for my cham.?

Thoff13

So i got my cham a Croton for his new set up but im getting kind of worried, ive seen alot of threads saying they use Crotons all the time but others saying its not safe at all. i googled the plant and it came up that if skin comes in contact with the sap it could cause contact dermatitis and that in injested can cause vomiting/diarrhea and if large amounts are consumed could be fatal. i just dont know what to do because i see alot of people use them for their chams but at the same time im seeing theyre dangerous.

They are fine. I have used those, dwarf umbrella, ficus, and pothos. Pothos is what I use now though because my veiled loves them and I like how strong the vines are. I use three different types. Njoy pothos, marble queen pothos and a Golden pothos gives a nice color variation. Plus they are very easy to grow and hardy.

So i got my cham a Croton for his new set up but im getting kind of worried, ive seen alot of threads saying they use Crotons all the time but others saying its not safe at all. i googled the plant and it came up that if skin comes in contact with the sap it could cause contact dermatitis and that in injested can cause vomiting/diarrhea and if large amounts are consumed could be fatal. i just dont know what to do because i see alot of people use them for their chams but at the same time im seeing theyre dangerous.
There also this
https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/

They are fine. I have used those, dwarf umbrella, ficus, and pothos. Pothos is what I use now though because my veiled loves them and I like how strong the vines are. I use three different types. Njoy pothos, marble queen pothos and a Golden pothos gives a nice color variation. Plus they are very easy to grow and hardy.
I had a pothos but I moved and accidentally left it behind, but I plan on getting another one, I have a branch that has stayed with us so I may just grow him a new one bc it grew roots so I'll probably just plant it for him

I have had a Croton plant in my chameleons cage before and my Veiled never had any problems. right now i have a money tree and an umbrella plant that I rotate in and out. I also plan on getting a pothos once i finish building my chams new cage.

I have had a Croton plant in my chameleons cage before and my Veiled never had any problems. right now i have a money tree and an umbrella plant that I rotate in and out. I also plan on getting a pothos once i finish building my chams new cage.
I have heard money trees aren’t the best for chams, but you should take a look at the website I linked for Thoff13, it’s got a lot of choices

I have heard money trees aren’t the best for chams, but you should take a look at the website I linked for Thoff13, it’s got a lot of choices

Hey thanks for the heads up, I took a look at it and the plant is a non toxic plant (I think this is why I got it in the first place), though there are some reports that if the leaves are ingested it can irritate the stomach.

I don't currently have it in his cage, the plant wasn't doing too hot, so its chilling by a window now. I think i might just leave it for a house plant and let him crawl on it occasionally when he's free ranging. I have noticed since I have owned Carlo that he seems to not eat the leaves off of the plants in his cage anyways.

Back
Top Bottom