Is Bamboo ok to put in cage

wendymileon

I was wondering if any one knows if it is safe to put bamboo in my chameleons cage. I have alot in my back yard and I was wanting to put some branches in there for my chameleon to pearch on. I have an umbrella plant in its cage now and it would be nice to have some kind of branches in it. I know that I would have to bake it in the oven and or spray it with a bleach mixture. I just want to be safe.

yes, it is ok. If it is coming from your yard then you do not have to bleach it and all that or bake it. I have never baked or bleached a branch that has come from my yard. I think if get branches and such from other places in the wild you want to safeguard with washing incase of pesticides. Other than that, I do not see the reasoning behind it.

there is 1500 different kinds of bamboo. But I know I use the kind from wal mart they sell for plant spikes and love it.

bamboo works okay. I prefer not to use them so much because it tends to be slippery and my cham sometimes has a hard time gripping.

Yep that's also my comment on bamboo. In my opinion, it is not really suitable for chams because it's slippery and smooth. Chams can fall and hurt themselves and maybe it's also a source of stress if it is the only thing used in the terrarium.

Mine love bamboo. As long as they can get most or all of their foot around the bamboo, there shouldn't be any problems.

Remember, only real bamboo is safe! Those "lucky bamboo" plants are not.

I was doing a search but didnt really want to make a new thread for a question so i thought i would ask it here, but is it okay to use bamboo plant in enclosures?! I saw one at the store today and thought it would look need inside the cham cage.

Mine love bamboo. As long as they can get most or all of their foot around the bamboo, there shouldn't be any problems.

Remember, only real bamboo is safe! Those "lucky bamboo" plants are not.

why is lucky bamboo bad? Tis not the same? I was wanting to get mine some, but as scared it would hurt him.

"lucky bamboo" If we are talking about "water bamboo" which is sometimes called lucky it is actually Dracaena sanderiana. Many dracaena species are somewhat toxic some are not. My turtles eat the roots of this so (based solely off that) id say its probably fine.
"lucky bamboo" could also be referring to black bamboo in which case i would not personally use because i am extra cautious and i can't find its toxicity.

bamboo

where did you buy the bamboo plants to put in your chameleon cages? I got some at home depot and I don't remember if it is lucky bamboo or not, if it is lucky bamboo is that okay to be in the cage or no?

Back
Top Bottom