Is 5 months too young to lay eggs for Panther?

scramboy11

Chameleon Info:
•Your Chameleon - Female Panther makes Lyanna. It’s my daughters and she lives with her mom. My daughter is 13 and has lots of reptiles. Snakes, geckos, tortoise, etc. just getting into Chameleon. She learns most from YouTube but clearly always room for improvement. I am just starting to help her even though she lives with her mom. She is trying to bring a rescue back to health as per my post “Need help with a rescue Panther in Vegas”
•Handling - handled once a day or every second day.
•Feeding - Crickets. Super Worms, Dubia Roaches. Gutload with standard household fruits and vegetables.
•Supplements - Use repti-calcium. With D3 once a week.
•Watering - I hand mist with a misting bottle. I mist at least 2x a day, sometimes more for about a minute each time. Also use a fogger.
•Fecal Description - It’s brown/black in color. Normal and regular.
•History: Purchased from specialty pet store in Vegas. Sold as a male. Turned out to be a female. She’s strong and healthy and a great eater.

Cage Info:
•Cage Type - Medium Zoomed screen cage. Just moved to large zoomed.
•Lighting - Both zoomed, 60 W daylight blue, 5.0 reptisun with UVB. On at 7am. Off at 7pm.
•Temperature - Las Vegas. Ranges from 70-80.
•Humidity - It’s Vegas. So dry. So I’m constantly hammering it with humidity. Hopefully enough.
•Plants - Plastic fake.
•Placement - Its in my daughters bedroom. Up on dresser. New one on floor until she moves some stuff around.
Location. Las Vegas.

Current Problem: 1.) How’s her new setup? Any tips or advice to improve? 2.) Female has been super content but last few days seems to me sniffing around bottom of cage. We have set up a laying pot. Not sure how good of a job we did but just put her in new enclosure today. Photos attached are of old enclosure and new enclosure. Also photos to show that she seems to be a bit round. This is just lately. But is that too early for her to have eggs?

Attachments

• 30E6DED3-7F6F-4610-88A8-D0D0B5392578.jpeg
    30E6DED3-7F6F-4610-88A8-D0D0B5392578.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 67
  • 5F1A7FEB-37F4-4495-8FD7-2E45986F19A2.jpeg
    5F1A7FEB-37F4-4495-8FD7-2E45986F19A2.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 77
  • A894B68B-B7B0-48FC-8CE0-24714EF66383.jpeg
    A894B68B-B7B0-48FC-8CE0-24714EF66383.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 70
  • FD8011C1-B7B7-4F72-9723-B8B019874DD3.jpeg
    FD8011C1-B7B7-4F72-9723-B8B019874DD3.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 78
  • F499ACE7-E8A8-4997-93A1-71B1D6D5B03E.jpeg
    F499ACE7-E8A8-4997-93A1-71B1D6D5B03E.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 10B1A123-19F5-4747-B360-C24C2A030FE1.jpeg
    10B1A123-19F5-4747-B360-C24C2A030FE1.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 79
  • A5B28AA4-C8F8-423F-80B8-425FC2178C58.jpeg
    A5B28AA4-C8F8-423F-80B8-425FC2178C58.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 75
Welcome to the forum! It's good that you are concerned about th chameleon!

Please don't make multiple threads for the same chameleon. It makes it hard for us to keep track of what's going on with it.

She's quite plump so it's possible...but she's not really showing gravid colours IMHO.

The photos in your other thread seem to show a much smaller younger chameleon.

Welcome to the forum! It's good that you are concerned about th chameleon!

Please don't make multiple threads for the same chameleon. It makes it hard for us to keep track of what's going on with it.

She's quite plump so it's possible...but she's not really showing gravid colours IMHO.

Thanks. I’m just jumping in to help. She’s not posting here. Only I am and referring info to my daughter.

Not sure what you mean by multiple threads for same chameleon? Did I do that?

She has 2 females. One rescued. Super small. Separate post. Not healthy or growing.

And this female that looks really plump. Healthy. Growing. Eating well. Environments are almost identical.

5 months is too young but I think that female is older than that.

Top of the forum is a resource tab look at the lighting section you will want a linear uvb.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/

As she is a female I also suggest research the ways people attempt to lower and slow egg production. Reduced basking temps and less food than a male.

You could also switch all supplements to repashy calcium plus LoD. A more traditional route is phosphorus free calcium at every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month and multivitamin twice a month, alternate with the d3.

To clarify, your daughter now has two female chameleons?

What are the dimensions of the large cage? Is it 2x2x4 ft?

She is going to lay eggs, you need a laybin, I use the fine sand from lowes, the course sand from home depot scratches up my female's really bad, 10 inch long 8 inch high 6 inches wide tupperware, moist not wet, grab a handful no water should squeeze out but should hold shape, and leave her alone after laybin is placed, wrap sheet around bottom half of viv

Top of the forum is a resource tab look at the lighting section you will want a linear uvb.

As she is a female I also suggest research the ways people attempt to lower and slow egg production. Reduced basking temps and less food than a male.

You could also switch all supplements to repashy calcium plus LoD. A more traditional route is phosphorus free calcium at every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month and multivitamin twice a month, alternate with the d3.

Here are some photos based on her size and the dates photos were taken. Maybe that helps in determining what age the female might be? My daughter was enjoying seeing her chameleon grow.

Yes, my daughter has 2 chameleons. One name Lyanna (whom she got from the pet store on May 7th). The other name Catelyn (the pet store gave her the chameleon as it was being neglected and wasn't healthy). One is thriving, the other in the other post is not doing so well.

We have set up a lay bin in the bottom of the large enclosure. Not sure how well the photos show it?

Just asked my daughter. She is in an 18 x 18 x 36 enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 97
I feel comfortable saying she is older than 5 months, maybe not by much. If she is as calm to handle as she looks you should start weighing her. Imho that's the best way to nudge gravidity (gravedness??) Witbout an xray or good experience. I still cannot really recognize my girls gravid colors to be honest--i feel her coloration changed after every shed.

Every female is different, in every species, there is a large variant...how often and how much do you feed? I feed my 1.5 - 2 year old females every other day, 6 insects, mixture of large bsfl, crickets, roaches, silkworms dusted with repashy loD, that will reduce obesity

I feel comfortable saying she is older than 5 months, maybe not by much. If she is as calm to handle as she looks you should start weighing her. Imho that's the best way to nudge gravidity (gravedness??) Witbout an xray or good experience. I still cannot really recognize my girls gravid colors to be honest--i feel her coloration changed after every shed.

Ok. Will do. Will get my daughter a scale.

Every female is different, in every species, there is a large variant...how often and how much do you feed? I feed my 1.5 - 2 year old females every other day, 6 insects, mixture of large bsfl, crickets, roaches, silkworms dusted with repashy loD, that will reduce obesity

I think she feeds her 6-8 crickets a day. She only started getting “plump” in the last two weeks.

Is this the age to start backing down in feed? Or let me ask it this way... let’s pretend Chameleon is 6 months old. What is a good amount to feed and for how long until next adjustment?

I think she feeds her 6-8 crickets a day. She only started getting “plump” in the last two weeks.

Is this the age to start backing down in feed? Or let me ask it this way... let’s pretend Chameleon is 6 months old. What is a good amount to feed and for how long until next adjustment?

I need to let a more experienced keeper weigh in. I cut back feeding at about 9 months but I also didnt know my girls hatch date. I only have the one chameleon and as @salty dog stated every chameleon is different. My guess on her age is just that, a guess.

If I were you, she looks healthy enough that I would at least cut the feeding to every other day, and start adding more of a variety in feeders.

Also, in the long run for both of your chams a larger cage is ideal. My girl explores every inch of her 2x2x4 enclosure and I hope to give her a larger enclosure eventually

My females stop eating, and search bottom viv when ready to lay, she also might turn a dominant blackish color, that should be your indicator pay attention to their behavior, stop feeding everyday.... feed every other day, she looks to be close to a year old, their lifespan is 5-9 years they grow very very fast

Back
Top Bottom