Irritated Eyes

Hey everyone! So for the past 2 or 3 weeks Winston has been doing a lot of hard blinks (the thing that chams do to clean their eyes during misting sessions) but he only does it when he is NOT being misted and won't do it while he is being misted. I am worried there is something wrong with his eyes because he is doing it so frequently. He does 1 hard blink about every 5 - 10 minutes. I have given him several 1 hour misting sessions since he's been doing this in hopes that he would flush his eyes out in the mist but every time it turns on he just walks out of the mist and waits for it to turn off. His eyes don't look like they are irritated or anything so I'm pretty confused. Also a week ago I saw him itch his eye with his foot and last night I saw him itching one of his eyes on a branch for a second and he is not shedding. If there was something stuck in his eye wouldn't he have at least tried to flush it out in the mist by now? Is he maybe not getting enough vitamin A? Is there something wrong with the water I use? I use PrimoWater in case that helps. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what I should do. I am a poor college student so I would like to avoid taking him to the vet if possible but I will if I need to. Thank you all for your help!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon – 5 month old male ambilobe panther chameleon. I’ve had him for a about 3 months.
  • Handling – Never. He refuses to let me
  • Feeding – Dubia roaches, crickets, superworms and every day I try to get him to eat just one treat out of my hand (wax worms, hornworms etc) Feeding him about 10 crickets or dubias a day. I usually feed him around noon. I gutload the feeders with apples, oranges, potatoes, carrots, collard greens and cricket crack, but for the past few weeks only apples oranges and cricket crack since I have a lot of all of them.
  • Supplements – Repashy Calcium Plus for every feeding.
  • Watering – I use a mistking with a rain nozzle, I mist every day 3 times a day for 2 minutes each time with a 15 minute misting every Sunday. I do see my chameleon drinking occasionally
  • Fecal Description – Has never been tested for parasites. His poop is moist and tight packed and most of the urates are close to white
  • History – He is from kammerflage kreations

Cage Info:

• Cage Type – Reptibreeze screen cage, 24” X 24” X 48”
  • Lighting – Zoomed T5 terrarium hood with a UVB 5.0 bulb in it for UVB, for heat he as a 75 watt basking bulb, and a jungledawn led bulb to help the plants grow. He also has a 25 watt ceramic bulb that comes on at night. The lights come on at 7:30 AM and they turn off at 7:30 PM.
  • Temperature – Cage floor is 70 degrees, basking spot is 80 degrees. Temperature never drops below 67 at night. To measure I use a thermometer/hygrometer and I have a temperature gun. I also have a space heater that will turn on automatically if the temp drops too low.
  • Humidity – The room humidity is always around 45%, the cage humidity is usually between 45% and 60%. I have a live umbrella plant and 2 neon pothos in the cage and my humidifier turns on automatically when the room humidity drops to low. I measure it with the thermometer/hygrometer.
  • Plants – I have an umbrella plant and 2 neon pothos in the cage, a spiderplant, a marble queen pothos and a big hanging golden pothos next to his cage. I also have a ficus alii in the room.
  • Placement – His cage is in my bedroom/office since I work from home. His cage is only about 6 feet away from my desk that I work at but I have a plastic shower curtain all around his cage except the front to bring up humidity and give him more privacy. (Currently trying to find a way to do this that doesn’t looks so ghetto) Also my back is always turned away from him while I’m working so he doesn’t feel like I’m staring at him. Its not near any fans or vents.
  • Location – Northern Utah

Attachments

• c4NZ3piESBaoOaQ2DTFrfA.jpg
    c4NZ3piESBaoOaQ2DTFrfA.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Oub7PpoNRnOQEuXw4QdaNQ.jpg
    Oub7PpoNRnOQEuXw4QdaNQ.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 88
  • oSgXotSJSDW42rXo%FTIwQ.jpg
    oSgXotSJSDW42rXo%FTIwQ.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 72
  • uDotki56TxW6LUkxNsXZCQ.jpg
    uDotki56TxW6LUkxNsXZCQ.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 89
Okay so its only been a few hours since I started this thread and I looked over at him and his right eye was moving around just fine but his left eye was closed!! I know that's not good but is it as serious as when they have both eyes closed during the day? Also as soon as I made a tiny noise his left eye opened and started moving around again like normal. I'm currently working and I will read that thread that Matt posted as soon as I am off the clock but does anyone have any suggestions for the meantime?

Attachments

• xD9EAdUgRjCzS2PWURpnGw.jpg
    xD9EAdUgRjCzS2PWURpnGw.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 66
Side note: He is currently basking under his jungle dawn grow light and it is cooled by a tiny fan so there is a little bit of air blowing out of it. Could he maybe be closing his eyes so they don't dry out?

Update: The past couple days he has been getting slightly more active so I think he is definitely feeling better. But today he pooped and his urate had a fair amount of orange in it and there was also a partially undigested wax worm with it. Is feeding him a wax worm or two a day too much maybe? He has never done that before so I'm not sure what to think about it...

Back
Top Bottom