Iridovirus now what?

leedragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So the test that I run out with my chameleon came back as irido virus. which sucks donkeys´ balls. I noticed that the"circular" scales that I noticed before and increased in numbers after the last shed. and took him vet and now I have the results. Does anyone have deal with this? is there any vet or virologist here in the site?

My questions is how does this virus is spread? Should I be worry of spreading it to the enviroment around me? like if I have the window open and an insect lands on their cage and then flies out will it carry the virus to the insects, amphibians and reptiles that live in my sorroundings? would the soil of my potted plants that have been sprayed by chance when I mysted my chameleon cage, and they were laying becide the cage and got some of the water sprinkled across the terrarium screen, would they be a carrier of the virus or the soil that got sprinkle?

Could I carry it outside on my clothes that are in the same room or that have contact with the potted plants or such?
Can I passed it to the people I buy insects from by shaking hands or just being in a reptile store, by the virus falling off my clothes?

Last edited:
So the test that I run out with my chameleon came back as irido virus. which sucks donkeys´ balls. I noticed that the"circular" scales that I noticed before and increased in numbers after the last shed. and took him vet and now I have the results. Does anyone have deal with this? is there any vet or virologist here in the site?

My questions is how does this virus is spread? Should I be worry of spreading it to the enviroment around me? like if I have the window open and an insect lands on their cage and then flies out will it carry the virus to the insects, amphibians and reptiles that live in my sorroundings? would the soil of my potted plants that have been sprayed by chance when I mysted my chameleon cage, and they were laying becide the cage and got some of the water sprinkled across the terrarium screen, would they be a carrier of the virus or the soil that got sprinkle?

Could I carry it outside on my clothes that are in the same room or that have contact with the potted plants or such?
Can I passed it to the people I buy insects from by shaking hands or just being in a reptile store, by the virus falling off my clothes?
@ferretinmyshoes ?

It's been a long time since I heard of this virus...if my memory serves me well, then it was mostly found in Europe at that time....don't know if it's still true.

Here's some information...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/chloriridovirus

https://veterinaryresearch.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1297-9716-42-100

This one you'll have to wade through...
http://trevorwilliams.info/AVR_2005.pdf
Thanks. The first one I came across by googling but I will have a deeper read. Hope someone who has dealt with this will pop up. Thanks again for the links :)

Well I just wanna know how do I not spread it in nature around here. Like should I stop going into the woods because it would be a risk of introducing it to our native environment? And is Madagascar trip not an option because of that?

Well I just wanna know how do I not spread it in nature around here. Like should I stop going into the woods because it would be a risk of introducing it to our native environment? And is Madagascar trip not an option because of that?
These are good questions for your veterinarian. Phone call or email should suffice.

I’m not able to find a great deal on how it’s transmitted and a couple of articles say that transmission is poorly understood. However, I would think that taking basic precautions would be sufficient. Hand washing before and after handling your chameleon and not introducing any poop to the woods should be enough. Nature is full of bacteria, viruses and fungi and is able to maintain a stable balance unless we really take severe measures and disrupt the natural homeostasis, it will take care of itself.

Unfortunately there is very little data on this particular virus in reptiles even in literature. It has been identified in bearded dragons and several species of chameleons, but not in high enough numbers to fully understand transmission or how it acts even in the animals. Some were severely affected to the point of being fatal, and others had mild or no symptoms. Generally speaking, most viruses are not terribly potent outside of their host so washing hands and keeping things clean should suffice for the things you're asking about (going in the woods and Madagascar). However I would not take your chameleon outside just to be cautious. Your vet could potentially reach out to Dr. Wellehan with University of Florida as he is the leading expert in reptile viruses. But he may not have any more information than that honestly.

Unfortunately there is very little data on this particular virus in reptiles even in literature. It has been identified in bearded dragons and several species of chameleons, but not in high enough numbers to fully understand transmission or how it acts even in the animals. Some were severely affected to the point of being fatal, and others had mild or no symptoms. Generally speaking, most viruses are not terribly potent outside of their host so washing hands and keeping things clean should suffice for the things you're asking about (going in the woods and Madagascar). However I would not take your chameleon outside just to be cautious. Your vet could potentially reach out to Dr. Wellehan with University of Florida as he is the leading expert in reptile viruses. But he may not have any more information than that honestly.
Thank you I should give her that person's name next ime I am there. I should myself try to ask that doctor and see if I can get some more info.

Well thi gs are as they are and try to mange both with paranoia of spreading the virus and keep my lizards alive and well. Tomorrow is the first reptile convention here in Stockholm since covid started like what 3 years ago? Question is. Would I spread the virus to the whole reptile, amphibian, insect and fish community if I assist? Should I just give up conventions and order everything by ma for the greater good?

Well thi gs are as they are and try to mange both with paranoia of spreading the virus and keep my lizards alive and well. Tomorrow is the first reptile convention here in Stockholm since covid started like what 3 years ago? Question is. Would I spread the virus to the whole reptile, amphibian, insect and fish community if I assist? Should I just give up conventions and order everything by ma for the greater good?
You are a not reservoir/carrier of the virus. So if you and your clothes are clean when you go I would think it is fine

Wash up well before you go and wear clean clothes that have been run through a hot washer cycle and/or the dryer. Obviously don't handle your pet or his immediate surroundings as you head out. Cleaning under your nails would also help with bio-security.

Back
Top Bottom