Invert legality

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
So this has been on my mind lately. I'm going to get around to putting together a website for bug sales, info, whatever... I have a lot of species, but I feel like the actual legal status of many inverts is confusing and unclear. I wouldn't want to be accidentally getting myself, or anyone else, in trouble. Any suggestions for looking up the laws?

This is slightly off topic from 'chameleon food', but figured this was the best place to post. Ultimately it's for feeders(or pets for those of you that enjoy a good a roach!)

So this has been on my mind lately. I'm going to get around to putting together a website for bug sales, info, whatever... I have a lot of species, but I feel like the actual legal status of many inverts is confusing and unclear. I wouldn't want to be accidentally getting myself, or anyone else, in trouble. Any suggestions for looking up the laws?

This is slightly off topic from 'chameleon food', but figured this was the best place to post. Ultimately it's for feeders(or pets for those of you that enjoy a good a roach!)
Oh what I would give to be able to purchase whichever bugs I wanted to feed my girl, but Hawai’i is one of those places that import laws are strict. So far it’s been a no for wax worms and BSFL for sure, tho I was able to get a springtail culture so I’m not sure about the specifics on that.

I dont think this will end well. You would have to have a database for each state...

Stick bugs
roaches
grass hoppers
even crickets (u cant sell the black ones)

Then there might be issues where you cant sell native bugs, in the same state...

Well I believe it is the buyer's responsibility in many cases. That said, I wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble because they didn't know something was illegal. And I wonder about the sites that sell phasmids, beetles, more rare roach species, etc.

What lol. Are you saying they get by with saying they're only for educational purposes? I haven't seen that disclaimer.
They have it in OHIO for several species. Some times you even need to have the state authority come to the house and review conditions to get your permit.

I believe you have to write down "for personal educational use". If you just write down "educational" and you are not "teaching" or "researching" you get in trouble.

They have it in OHIO for several species. Some times you even need to have the state authority come to the house and review conditions to get your permit.

I believe you have to write down "for personal educational use". If you just write down "educational" and you are not "teaching" or "researching" you get in trouble.

Interesting, I'll look into it. Thank you

Laws change so you do not want to quote any laws. The standard is a legal disclaimer to know your state and local laws.
I like to shop for crazy exotics for fun. Wart hogs Hyenas type stuff. That is how they handle it. They are for sale, but they put the legal responsibility on the buyer.
For shipping purposes however you would want your own records of where you can ship.

I know states have some weird laws.
Like you can own a skunk in Oregon, but has to be purchased from a breeder, which is illegal in Oregon, So you have to get the permit first then pick up the animal from another state.
CA No ferret , useless they are to be euthanized within I think 9 months. This is to protect ferrets ? at least that is the claim.

Laws change so you do not want to quote any laws. The standard is a legal disclaimer to know your state and local laws.
I like to shop for crazy exotics for fun. Wart hogs Hyenas type stuff. That is how they handle it. They are for sale, but they put the legal responsibility on the buyer.
For shipping purposes however you would want your own records of where you can ship.

Like you can own a skunk in Oregon, but has to be purchased from a breeder, which is illegal in Oregon, So you have to get the permit first then pick up the animal from another state.
CA No ferret , useless they are to be euthanized within I think 9 months. This is to protect ferrets ? at least that is the claim.

We have some laws like that in PA too. I don't believe we can have pet raccoons among a handful of other animals. Which i would love I think they're awesome.

And btw I just went on a 25 minute browsing of hyenas, warthogs, and other exotic animals 🤦🏻‍♂️😆

You definitely need to have a disclaimer. Many agricultural states have very strict regulations about pests/insects California has very strict regulations about what comes into the state and also specific counties May have additional regulations. Florida Hawaii and Arizona are others that have strict standards on what’s allowed to come into the state. If the USDA detects an authorized shipments into the states they simply destroy the package.

I don’t know as far as shipping only insects into these states as I don’t ship insects. But ship tropical plants, the plants can’t even have soil on the roots and must be washed. This is to ensure that no insects are trans ported into these agricultural states. A license is also required to legally ship into the states.

hope this helps I know it’s not quite the same situation.

Back
Top Bottom