Introducing...

questnjurny

Well I'm not sure yet...I haven't come up with a name, any suggestions welcome!

Just got this little guy this morning from a reptile rescue. He is my first chameleon and with a ton of research and reading here I hope I'm totally prepared. A couple weeks worth of cage building, running around to various garden centres, researching online reptile supplies and finally the inhabitant, a male veiled chameleon and I have my first reptile!

A few pics snapped as he settled in to his basking area at the top of the cage (and a couple post misting, he wasn't very happy with me, but was thirsty). He is still a bit thin (came in very thin to the rescue) I think, has been eating 10-15 crickets/day so will let him eat what he wants and monitor his weight.

Sorry all the pics are taken through teh screen so not the best quality...enjoy, I'm off to get him some yummy bugs.
DSCN2310.jpg

DSCN2312.jpg

DSCN2315.jpg

DSCN2318.jpg

Last edited:
seriously? Okay, I was just going by what the rescue told me! lol! Well I guess I don't need to worry about the whole egg thing then. Well now I feel dumb...thanks for telling me though! Any guesses on age?

How were you guys able to tell so quickly? Just when I thought I was getting a handle on some basic knowledge and I can't even get the gender right.

I also have a close up of a male veiled tarsal spur on keepingchameleons.com/sexing.html
Good luck with your new buddy. he looks gorgeous

It is hard to tell age just by size because size depends on many different factors, not just age.

That's kinda what I figured...thought I'd put it out there though! Really, it makes no difference to me, though would be nice to know what stage of his life he's at, young adult, middle aged, senior etc.

Female...
http://www.flchams.com/largeView.asp?id=Veiled Sub 2.jpg

Top one is a female....
http://www.the-lizard-lounge.com/content/gallery/lizard-pictures/veiled-chameleon-1.asp

Tarsal spurs on males...
http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/glossary/tarsalspur.html

Please be aware that these chameleons will eat leaves off the plants in their cages so the plants should all be non-toxic and well washed (both sides of the leaves).

thanks for those links! Yep, definitly see the male-ness now. ;) The plants that are in there are a pothos and ficus (will keep an eye to make sure he doesn't eat lots, if so they'll come out) a lipstick plant and a dracena, both were on the safe list. I might end up taking the lipstick plant out, I forgot how easy the leaves break off.

Thanks Justin, I figured he looked young, but then considering I didn't know it was a male I was not at all confident in my aging abilities...lol!

Rupert...hmmm, that's a good one. Stanley is also in the running...as in Flat Stanley, he isnt' thrilled with my presense and is still rather flat, however cheered up considerably when he realized I was supplying him with crickets. He ate well so isn't too too stressed yet. I haven't however let the dogs upstairs yet. They will be gated out of his room, but still run up and down the hall and create chaos in general (which is why he has his own room).

Back
Top Bottom