Introducing myself and my Chameleon to you all :)

GodricktheVeiled

Established Member
Hello! My name is Dee, and I have wanted to adopt a chameleon for over 18 years, it took me until now to do it because I wanted to be able to do it right and not cause any harm in the process of learning. I wanted to be able to provide a stable and safe environment and be able to afford all his needs before taking him on. I bought my little guy from FLChams, he is a baby Male veiled chameleon from their newton bloodline and was 2 to 3 months old when he came to me. I had his enclosure set up and running for several days before he came home so he would have the smoothest transition possible. I am going to fill out the help form just so I can get any feedback or suggestions. I'd really appreciate the input so I can keep my little guy healthy and happy. :) his name is Godrick Merlin Scamander! Ha! So here goes...
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 3 to4month old Male Veiled Chameleon from FLChams Newton Bloodline.
  • Handling - I have only handled him twice. I took a very hands off approach at first to get him acclimated to his habitat. I would like to be able to remove him from his enclosure from time to time, for cleaning, but he isso far not having it.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? He eats only crickets dusted with calcium with D3 and I provide him with collard greens and kale a couple times a week. What amount? About 5 to 6 smalls twice a day. How are you gut-loading your feeders? The feeders are gut loaded with flukers orange cubes and the flukers dry vitamin cricket feed. I also put kale and sometimes collard greens in the cricket enclosure.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use zoomed repti calcium with D3 to dust the crickets with every feeding except twice a week I dust the feeders with zoomed reptivite.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a dripper and the mist king Starter set up. How often and how long to you mist? Because I've been struggling to keep his humidity at 50%, i've had to set a misting schedule for 2 minute durations 3 times a day along with 2 one minute mistings. If the humidity dips, I use the repti fogger to supplement the humidity levels. Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes, I've seen him go directly to where his dripper is and drink from the leaves there, as well as drinking from the leaves after a misting.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His feces have been moist but formed, brown and white..not runny, or dry...just kinda what I would think is perfect as far as poop goes lol. He has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to helpful? All I know from Micheal, the flchams guy I spoke with on the phone is that he wasn't handled, and that he has only ever been fed crickets. I was told mealworms are too hard for the babies to digest. Other than that, he has seemed healthy and active, he eats well, basks, explores his enclosure and seems pretty happy, unless I try to handle him. Then he is not happy at all and runs to hide. So I back off and try again another time. Never when he's basking, hunting or shedding.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Godrick lives in a 24" x 24" x 48" all screen enclosure in the corner of the room.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I am running a 75w zoomed repti basking spot lamp, and 2 linear repti sun uvb lights to make sure the whole enclosure has adequate uvb exposure. His lights are on a timer that comes on at 8am and go off at 8pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? The gradient temp ranges for his enclosure goes from 85degreesF in his basking area to 66 degreesF at the bottom. Lowest overnight temp? His lowest overnight temp is never below 65degrees. How do you measure these temps? I have a temp/humidity guage mounted on the upper back wall of his enclosure as well as a digital temp guage I can place in different area of his cage to measure the gradients.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? I keep him at 50% humidity. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Misting schedules, using 2 walls (shower curtain with a rainforest scenery over the walls in the corner it's placed) to cut down on the dry air coming through. As well as a repti fogger that runs only when extra help maintaining humidity is needed. What do you use to measure humidity? I have a humidity gauge mounted to the upper back wall of his enclosure.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, Godrick has a ficus tree, and a pothos in his enclosure with all organic soil and river stones over the exposed soil so he doesn't inadvertently eat some while hunting crickets.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? His enclosure is in the far corner of my Master beedroom. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? There is an air vent that is located on the ceiling about 6 feet away, but that vent is closed. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The top of his cage sits at about 6 feet above the floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? We live in Gilroy, California.
  • Here are pics of the day he came home, he climbed out of the container right onto my hand, then I carefully let him climb onto a vine in his new home.
  • And a picture of him exploring his territory about 3 days after he came home. 20181212_121130.jpg 20181220_195832.jpg

Last edited:
welcome, u should change from d3 to no d3 because you can over supplement him, only give d3 twice a month like the multivitamin, also misting sessions should be at least 2 mins long, other than that, you are off to a great start!!!

Thank you! The breeder told me to use d3 while he was a baby...but I will go and get the calcium without d3 and he gets 3- 2 minute misting sessions the 2- 1 minute mistings are just to keep the humidity acceptable and he has a dripper..I also use a fogger as needed to assist the humidity levels. :) I really appreciate your input! I thought I was supposed to switch to the supplements without d3 after he was an adult. :) I'm so glad you let me know..the last thing in this world I want is to poison my poor little guy!

Back
Top Bottom