interesting question about elevation

scerbz

I currently live in a subtropic low elevation area. I have been highly considering moving to a high elevation mountain area. What effect if any would the elevation change cause to my chams? Also considering they are usually inside i dont see the exterior conditions to effect them, but is it possible?

Good question. How high up? They are shipped by plane for hours at a time. If truly concerned, you could stop over at inclement heights for a couple days to a week each time. Allow for body to acclimate somewhat to oxygen deprivation difference. Don't truly know though. Completely guessing.

Shouldn't be a problem- I know Veileds occur naturally in Yemen over 6000 ft in the mountains; Panthers and Oustalet's occur over 5000 ft in Madagascar; I believe the entire natural range for Jackson's in Kenya is over 5000 ft. I have kept Veileds and Oustalet's in Albuquerque (~5800 ft) with no ill effects. Also as ectotherms, chameleons metabolic demand for oxygen is generally less than half that of mammals. As you go up in elevation, lower temps are probably much more of a limiting factor for Herp distribution than the thin air-

When I lived in CO my house was at 9200 ft elevation. All my chams obviously came from much lower elevations. I don't recall seeing problems that could be tied to elevation, but if there were they were so subtle they were masked by the usual "new arrival" stress behaviors. Effects of elevation change on mammals is tied to air pressure (headaches, nausea) and oxygen (breathlessness), but mammals have a much higher metabolism than chams so maybe they don't really feel it acutely. But then none of them actively complained about it to me :p

Back
Top Bottom