Interesting Colors

Hashtag ChamLife

Avid Member
I came outside to check on my boy on the free range and saw something I've NEVER seen. He was white. Now, I've seen him get pretty white, but not like this. When I came out the Shepard's hook was swaying back and forth so I'm guessing a bird came by or maybe a squirrel. It sits on the other side of the screen about 10ft from them. Forgive the screen, tried to get a shot not in the sun...

20200108_162758.jpg

Immediately upon coming out he was stark white! You can really see his rain though.

20200108_162913.jpg

I went to check the yard to make sure it wasn't a snake as we had a few round here. (Bad shot through the screen)

20200108_162955.jpg

After a few minutes he began to get some color back.

20200108_163735.jpg

For comparison that's him right now eating a worm. Hes still a little light, but hes got his green back on.

I've never seen him get that defensive or scared or "puffy". He tends to lighten up when hes aroused or gets too hot basking, but that was pretty amazing. None of the photos really do it justice, was pretty fascinating. My other male is in the outdoor birdcage and he was "hiding" on the backside of a vine, not puffed at all.

If I were to get a Faly, it'd be a high white boy! And I love the yellow in his face, too. Looks like somewhat smeared bee pollen all over the place haha!
My wife calls it "yellow lipstick".

I'm fairly sure it was a bird in the backyard that spooked them. Our cockatoo had his crest up and was being vocal right around the same time. That usually gets him worked up too.

I knowwwwwwww this is the one I was telling you about Amanda! He is so handsome!
Lol, I guess Dex has a fan club!

Quite a handsome fella though. Very pleased with how he's turned out all around. Awesome personality, stunning colors, quite an agile escape artist, etc. He's definitely the most spoiled and always gets to go outside! (I've even put a heat lamp and space heater outside for him, hehe)

I have a veiled but he never has turned white before. How cool. But your Cham was just spooked by something in the yard. Probably like a fat squirrel.

I like his colors!! I just noticed the cattleya behind him, is that a labiata?
Good eye! I'm not really sure, I'm fairly new to the orchid hobby. The lady I get them from works the local flea market every weekend. Shes from the islands so can be difficult to understand. What I can tell you is that it's a "wandering" variant and that it is also fragrant - VERY fragrant! Its actually about to blood again too! It smells amazing and fills the livingroom with scent, more so than my wife wall plug in things.

I have about 20 different orchids and have been getting them from her for a while. She sells the cheap phal-whatevers (still learning the species) for like $10. She has some gorgeous catas and denodriums. I have a gorgeous all blood red one I got a few weeks ago.

Expensive hobby... I've always had a thing for orchids though. Luckily, here in Florida, after I kill them I just set them outside and come back to blooms!

My latest project is "bonzai-ing" some willow cuttings. They're probably ready to plant, but I'm too busy moving to play with them.

Here's a few shots of my "nursery":

20200104_200759.jpg
20200104_200843.jpg
20200104_200821.jpg

You'll notice most are out of bloom. Cham keeping is a gateway hobby!

I am a big epiphyte fan myself. Not sure where you are in Florida, but one of my favorite places to go to see a great display of orchids is Selby Gardens in Sarasota. Their orchid room is top notch. They do some cloning and sell several varieties in their gift shop at reasonable rates, or at least they did when I was last there. I almost went a couple of weeks ago when I was in Cape Coral on vacation, but decided to stay in the pool instead. LOL

Regardless, thanks for sharing your orchids.

Back
Top Bottom