interested in pygmy chameleons..

richpass6

hey guys i have been doing reading on pygmy chams and i wanna get some i just don't know what species of pygmy to get...do you have to have 2 or more living together? would all females be ok because im not trying to breed.

The most common available is the bearded pygmy leaf chameleon (R. brevicaudatus) but you may find spectrals or temporalis available too. The care is just a little different between those species I believe. I have a pair of brevs and they're super cute and so much fun to watch! You don't have to have more than one and if you do make sure you have enough room for them and don't have more than one male in the cage. It's appealing that you can keep them communally opposed to all the bigger species where that's not usually an option. Several females would be perfect because male/female pairs can put a lot on stress on the one female to constantly be breeding. Or you could even have just one. If you haven't read it already you should check out this care sheet - it's excellent!

do they get big enough to eat adult crickets or what is there main feeder size for adult pygmys, i have been wanting a few for a livingroom display.

R. brevicaudatus generally adjust very well to captivity, have a good appetite for crickets, and are remarkably bold. They are generally out and around where you can see them.

If you don't want to breed them, keep in mind that female brevs do seem capable of retaining sperm. If you purchase a WC female, you will very likely have eggs. For a single pet, the male brevs have more dramatic coloration and a more scalloped spine.

I generally feed mine small crickets (1/4") and the larger variety of flightless fruitflies (Drosophila hydei sturtevant), as well as lace wings and small bugs I capture.

Good luck!

ok 2 is fine im sure... also where can i find a good breeder? i cant seem to find any CB on the net :confused:

No that would be okay for just 2. Rule of thumb is 10 gallons per cham in there.

From the people I have talked to, they recommend 10 gallons for the first pair plus one for every 10 additional gallon. so a 20 gallon long is big enough for 3 as long as there is only 1 male.

From the people I have talked to, they recommend 10 gallons for the first pair plus one for every 10 additional gallon. so a 20 gallon long is big enough for 3 as long as there is only 1 male.

I haven't heard that. I have 2 in a 15 gallon tank personally and I don't think they have enough room to be honest. I wish I could give them some more space. I would start with 2 if I were you and if that works well then maybe add a third later (after quarantine).

Back
Top Bottom