Interactions and Handling

longlostlotrelf

Hey guys! I'm back on the scene here with Milton my baby veiled. He's not super super young and tiny like most pet stores have them I got him from a local reptile store where he breeds them.

I used to have a Senegal named Pascal who hated being handled it would stress her out and make her very mad if I had to do any cleaning in her cage I was never able to hold her, I know I've been told they aren't social critters so I didn't expect much.

Now I have Milton who is completely opposite. If I reach my hand in the cage he doesn't puff up. If I touch him he'll attempt to climb onto my fingers and once he's there he travels up my arm to come out of the cage. If I pick him up when he goes to far he doesn't care he just climbs on my other fingers. He shows no signs of stress and eats and drinks and all that fun chameleon stuff. If I walk by the cage sometimes he acts as if he's begging to come out he reaches towards the screen door like he wants to climb around. I guess my question is if he really wants to come out and climb around is it okay? Is there a point where there is too much interaction? Is it okay as long as he still keeps doing his usual chameleon stuff? I'd love to be able to take him out with me in the summer and hang out so he can soak up some sun :D

I would say to go for it, and enjoy the fact that you have a cham that enjoys being handled. Keep a close eye out for stress, but I have a panther who is the same way - he always wants to climb out onto me. Bear in mind that some veileds (not all but enough to make this a generalization) will change their minds in their "teenage" years, and decide that you are a horrible creature. At that point he may not want to be handled, and then grow out of that phase. I have a veiled that has never grown out of that mindset, no matter what I do. Best of luck and enjoy your little guy! :D

Yes, it's okay. He now knows there is a world he can explore outside his cage, and he has learned to make the connection with seeing you, and
coming out.
My guyz beg to be let out when they see me, it's fine to let them out and explore. Just keep an eye on him when he is out.

Back
Top Bottom