Insensitive People :'(

After loosing my beloved 6 and a half Panther Chameleon yesterday from old age, I've had the most ignorant and insensitive comments from some of my own family members :(

My grandmother has never liked reptiles and thinks I'm weird for liking them (I don't care btw lol) and told her today over the phone he died, all I got was "He's only a lizard"

I was to upset to argue but that comment "ONLY a lizzard" they still have feelings and he was still a loved pet, just because he wasn't a dog are a cat, doesn't mean he was loved any less.

Then my grandfather blurts out "just get another one then!"

Didn't even bother responding to him. Honestly though, its upset me that much, don't think I'm ready for another just yet, its too upsetting when they get old and I know I'll have to experience it again some day with still having my Veiled.

I feel for you..... I got the same from work colleagues when one of my beloved cats got run down in the road by a car about 6 years ago. I went into work absolutely distraught only to be told "its a cat - get over it!" Horrible people that don't understand. Thoughts are with you and so sorry for your loss. x

They'll understand one day if they own a pet, look after it and love it and then they'll know loosing them is just as painful as loosing a human family member.

I'm so sorry your family members don't understand your situation. It can be difficult for some people to relate when they don't really know anything about an animal, especially reptiles! My Mom thought a chameleon would be such a weird thing to get, and swore she would never touch one, and within two weeks she is head over heels for my little Panther. Just take comfort in knowing that there are a lot of people here who have empathy for your situation, and we can all understand where you're coming from. I am sorry again for your loss - with time, I'm sure you'll be ready for another one. The pain of the loss can never take away from the joy that they gave you in life (six and a half years of it!)

I honestly don't think that people who haven't shared their life with a chameleon can ever know how they make you feel and the bond you can have with them. Anyone who says 'It's only a lizard' just doesn't understand - they are far, far more than that. When I lost my first cham I was totally unprepared for how hard it would hit me. I hadn't realised how attached to her I had become until she was gone - it hit me so hard and I cried so much I could hardly see through my swollen eyes. Losing a cham is like losing a family member. Everyone on this forum who has lost a beloved chameleon WILL understand how you are feeling. I have lost several myself and it hurts just as much every time.

I lost one of my girls this morning, so I understand how you're feeling. People just don't understand. My stepdaughter was a total brat when I told her because she thinks they're stupid. She doesn't realize how much you can become attached. I asked her how she'd feel if it was her cat , and she said 'but it's not a cat, just a dumb lizard', like what the heck is wrong with some people?

I read your other post and broke my heart. Sorry for your loss. I have had my boy for a month and have a stong emotional attachment already. Some will view it as why get attached to something that isnt furry and cuddly, or that live short lives. Hope you find those in your life that can provide you comfort through this sad time.

I understand exactly what you mean.
It seems most people think all lizards are like snakes, evil and slimy.

I get this sentiment a lot more from religous, old testiment fanatics; the biblical evil serpent devil incarnate in a talking snake :rolleyes:

Everyone in my family thinks I'm nuts for even thinking of taking one of my chams to a vet and actually spending money!!
It's only a lizard. If it gets sick, flush it and get a "new" one!!! :mad:

My cousin is the only one who understands my love for these creatures, and doesnt think rushing one to a vet in an emergency (which hasnt happened yet) is any different from calling 911 for a sick person.

These creatures have feelings, they get hungry, they feel pain, they feel fear and panic, they bleed red blood, just like us.

They become tame, trusting and dependent on us. In their own way, they interact with us and respond to our love.
Different from a dog, or even a cat, animals that can, and will, defend themselves. You have to work at gaining a cham's trust, and once they do completly trust us, accept us, willingly climb into our hands, to betray that trust and harm them, or ignor them, is the lowest depth a person can go.

I had a friend that said I was mad to buy insurance for my Cham! He said if it gets sick just flush it down the toilet!! They don't cost that much! Erm No don't think so... Only had him since Tuesday and would be devastated if anything happened to him

So sorry for your loss and the insensitive comments people have made to you about it. Keep him in your heart.

After loosing my beloved 6 and a half Panther Chameleon yesterday from old age, I've had the most ignorant and insensitive comments from some of my own family members :(

My grandmother has never liked reptiles and thinks I'm weird for liking them (I don't care btw lol) and told her today over the phone he died, all I got was "He's only a lizard"

I was to upset to argue but that comment "ONLY a lizzard" they still have feelings and he was still a loved pet, just because he wasn't a dog are a cat, doesn't mean he was loved any less.

Then my grandfather blurts out "just get another one then!"

Didn't even bother responding to him. Honestly though, its upset me that much, don't think I'm ready for another just yet, its too upsetting when they get old and I know I'll have to experience it again some day with still having my Veiled.
I want to start off by saying I am so sorry to hear about your loss. it is so funny, but I remember being one of those mean insensitive people when it came to lizards, I don't know why until I got Chevy. When I joined this forum, the overwhelming help and compassion from the people on here was over powering and it made me realize how important he was and I didn't truly know that until that first person on here told me he had MBD and it changed me dramatically and he wasn't just a Chameleon, he is a living and breathing little thing that came into our lives for a reason and 6 weeks later after almost losing him from MBD he looks amazing and my husband makes fun of me because I can literally stand there and watch him for hours just to see if he is okay and comfortable.

So really all I am trying to say is that I know how you feel about your poor little buddy and for those who just don't get the love and bond doesn't matter because obviously, your little guy was deeply cherished:) He wasn't just a lizard, he was your little person and I hope that your heart heals as I am sure it will.

I am very sorry you lost your baby and know how it will feel today as we will be putting our almost 7 year old panther down. I also don't know how people can be so insensitive.xx

I definitely could not relate until I had my own chameleons. I always thought a pet had to have fur to garner that kind of reaction. I don't know if it is the personalities, the weird little feet or the googly eyes but they have a way of worming their way into your heart. So sorry for your loss...

Back
Top Bottom