Insect gutloading

I mean for humans, they're good but high in fat.
Here’s the best gutloading regime I know of:
1) 60-70% high calcium greens: collard greens, dandelion leaves, etc.
2) 20-30% other veggies: good choices include sweet potato, squash, carrots
3) 5-10% healthy fruits: papaya, apples, oranges

Ok thanks, but I have one more question. Is it normal for my chameleon to miss his shot with his tongue at insects from time to time?

Ok thanks, but I have one more question. Is it normal for my chameleon to miss his shot with his tongue at insects from time to time?

No it's not, they are extremely accurate. Missing almost always has to do with an eye problem, tongue injury, or vitamin imbalance

So maybe seeds and such should be part of this. Insects have got to be eating them in the wild(though probably not the ones we have at home)

No it's not, they are extremely accurate. Missing almost always has to do with an eye problem, tongue injury, or vitamin imbalance
Well he doesn't have any eye injuries, I have no idea about his tongue, but the vitamin inbalance im not sure on. I give him multivitamin every week on saturdays.

We try to match what they would eat in the wild, The problem is we are not feeding their natural pray (bees and pollinators) So we are trying to make steak from chicken. All we can do is our best to match.
We don't always know how much of what is harmful of helpful, so we try to avoid things they (which is the magical bee/roach and bee/cricket) would not find in their natural habitat.

We try to match what they would eat in the wild, The problem is we are not feeding their natural pray (bees and pollinators) So we are trying to make steak from chicken. All we can do is our best to match.
We don't always know how much of what is harmful of helpful, so we try to avoid things they (which is the magical bee/roach and bee/cricket) would not find in their natural habitat.

I don't even know if I buy the pollinators thing. Sure, with some species I don't doubt it. I honestly think they will just eat whatever is available in their area. Species that are higher up in the trees probably don't come across pollinators as often as they do beetles(okay these can be pollinators still), katydids, and spiders... not to mention birds.

I think matching the wild diet is a fine thing to do, but a lot of people get hung up on it when it probably doesn't matter. What should be more important is figuring out the macro/micro nutrients that they most benefit from and matching feeders with those. That's easier said than done considering it's difficult even for people. In most cases, a diet high in chicken or steak will lead to the same/similar results given that everything else in place.

It depends on the frequency with which he misses. If it’s every second or third strike, that’s unusual, if it’s once every couple of weeks, it’s probably nothing to worry about. Remind me of your supplement regime?

I don't even know if I buy the pollinators thing. Sure, with some species I don't doubt it. I honestly think they will just eat whatever is available in their area. Species that are higher up in the trees probably don't come across pollinators as often as they do beetles(okay these can be pollinators still), katydids, and spiders... not to mention birds.

I think matching the wild diet is a fine thing to do, but a lot of people get hung up on it when it probably doesn't matter. What should be more important is figuring out the macro/micro nutrients that they most benefit from and matching feeders with those. That's easier said than done considering it's difficult even for people. In most cases, a diet high in chicken or steak will lead to the same/similar results given that everything else in place.

I agree with pollinators. But as you mention this is not just Bees. In many areas different insects fill the role of pollinator, including birds and bats.

With the lack of data from Yemen I could only assume it is quite possible that there are things other than Bees specifically that dwell in the tree tops.

It depends on the frequency with which he misses. If it’s every second or third strike, that’s unusual, if it’s once every couple of weeks, it’s probably nothing to worry about. Remind me of your supplement regime?
He misses like every 3-5 shots.?

The supplement regime is reptivite multivitamin once a week.

The supplement regime is reptivite multivitamin once a week.
My thoughts are this: You should be giving plain calcium with no d3 every feeding, and the reptivite twice a month. Reptivite once a week is a lot of vitamins, especially if it’s reptivite with d3. So we’re clear: plain calcium with no d3, every feeding; reptivite twice/month.

Back
Top Bottom