input on building

reptileguy

Does anyone have any directions on their own homemade cages?? Lookin to make a 30" x 30" x 48" cage.....need to know what kind of supplies needed, and about how much im looking spending if I did it myself..

well mine is 24d x 30w x 54t i made it of 1x2s i got a menards and cut them down to 1x1s and some i left as 1x2s for the bottom to make it stronger. i just stained it and use minwax poly and let it air out for a week.

I just got done building a cage and i must say it was a very hard but fun experience. Mine is 24deep x 24wide x 36high. It was a good expanstion for my 10 month old veiled. I made mine out a 2x3's and used a stronger and wider screen because the old cage i had was more of window screeen and it seemed to ripp easy and bend too much.

Unless its a giant species, I don't really think you want to surpass about 24" in depth, front to back. It makes reaching to the otherside somewhat a pain. put the extra 6" on the side if you want. Ie, 36x24x48.

I think the 36" X 24" X 48" sounds really good......what kind of screening do you use......i mean if i went to home depot....what would I ask them for....

There are hardware fabrics that are pvc coated and there is window screening. They are in different departments at home depot and both are viable choices. I used the window screening for Kitty's enclosure (see my gallery for pic). Also check out this DIY article by Chris for inspiration.

-Brad

http://www.chameleonnews.com/diycage.html

you said that you only have the front screened? I thought they needed a lot of ventilation.....what do you have on the other 3 sides....

There is a thread around here with very detailed instructions on how to build cages, i'm going to try to find the thread and get you a link.

that would be great....i went to home depot....and looked up some materials that I would need....they had that pet screen there, but they also had a aluminum screen with holes about the same size.....i think i would like that better....it is brighter....someone told me the lighter it is the less stress it would cause......someone told me about some pvc expanded board to get....ive never heard of that and neither has h.d.....I was going to make one side a solid wall in case I get a male later, I can put another cage beside it....

that expanded pvc board was on that link you told me to go to brad.....chris' page where he was building his cage....ive never heard of that....do you know where I can get that at??

you said that you only have the front screened? I thought they needed a lot of ventilation.....what do you have on the other 3 sides....

Screen front, screen top, and a vent at the top rear. Keep in mind my location is both cool and dry. I have to get a balance between ventilation and enough warmth/humidity.

One of my less densely planted cages:
dsc2115qy9.jpg

Screen front, screen top, and a vent at the top rear. Keep in mind my location is both cool and dry. I have to get a balance between ventilation and enough warmth/humidity.

One of my less densely planted cages:
dsc2115qy9.jpg

could you post a pic of the more densely planted cages?

nice pics,i am gonna put my vine plants on the branches like in your pictures.
i was trying to find a way to route my live vines instead of hanging them from the top of the cage.i never thought of just letting them grow onto the bendavines.

did you use wood and just paint it white....or did you use another material? I live in Ohio where it is really dry in the winter time and okay in the summer....so that kind of a set up would be a good idea for me??

did you use wood and just paint it white....or did you use another material? I live in Ohio where it is really dry in the winter time and okay in the summer....so that kind of a set up would be a good idea for me??

It's wood frame with corrugated white plastic. Lightweight, sturdy, waterproof.

how much would it cost to run a set up like you have....i don't know your dimensions, but i am looking to build around 16" x 24" x 48" with a little cabinet on the bottom......

Back
Top Bottom