info on incubating panther eggs please

Cainschams

I have a pair of ambilobes that have bred a couple times. The first time was unknown. The female got out of her set up outside and mated with the male thru his cage then ran up a tree. It took me 2 days to find her. Please dont make the same mistake I did and have a bottom for the cage. All was fine untill it got bumped. Anyway all those eggs died. I think I did every thing right to incubate. She was around 6 months old then. could she have been too young? I got a hold of the company I got them off of and the guy said to keep breeding her because she would lay anyway from sperm retention. So i did again and about half the eggs died this time. Again I think I had the setup for incubating right. I use vermiculite in tupperware container with ceranwrap to keep the moisture, keep it around 72 degrees in the containers and put them in the dark. she laid another clutch yesterday of 25 and agian I have them in the same set up. i dont know if they are related. They sent me papers for the first cham I got that was supposed to be a male but ended up a female. The papers had her both of her parents listed. They gave me a discount on my next purchase so I got a male whos papers only stated the dad. Could this have an effect if they are both from the same mom? Please these are my first few attempts at breeding any feed back would be great. You can tell me im a moron for anything besides not having a bottom on the cage I already know this. I dont want to keep putting the stress on the female for no results and I want the best for all my chams.

Thanks, Cain

I did stress to them that I didnt want a related male. I do not believe in that at all. But it was one thought that went through my head because of recieving the female that was supposed to be a male and was clearly not.

I see you are from Maryland. You have a number of other Panther owners in your area. Consider doing shared projects with someone who also has same locale Panthers. Its a great way to gain experience from a fellow herper and will insure you have unrelated genes. I'm sure joint projects with a share of the eggs would be appealing to someone out there?

Thanks for the input guys. That is a great idea to cham man I will have to try that although I was assured my pair is not related. Its a shame of the stories I have read about people being blinded by bad dealers. Being new to this and reading all those stories kinda makes me paranoid about some things. Any way its great to see all the people on this site care about getting the right info to less experienced people and people who ask smart challenged questions this shows the love for chams and other animals well being that is obviously is in everybodys hearts here .

Thanks, Cain

Hey there

we just bred our panthers, and our incubator set up is very simple, a 5 inch deep tupperware container filled up a quarter way with HATCHRITE use your finger to poke little spots in the substrate and put your eggs in there, i have a digital Temp gauge and Humidity gauge in the container to monitor it, you put the top on it, and put it in a dark place,

Chameleons: Natures Hidden Jewels says 70-80 Degrees is a good temperature for the little orbs to grow up, and become little lizards

open up the container about once a month and it will get a little bit of circulating air ( many people on the forum say to do this, many just leave them alone... your choice) i doubt you need the Saran-Wrap just the lid closed keeps the temp and humidity nominal. about 73 Degrees with 95% humidity

Where in Md are you located, maybe we can help you get a good clutch going that isnt related...

Hey thanks alot for the reply. I have read all those sites and have everything as it says that is why I was wondering about the die off eggs the first time. The second about half are gone but the rest are looking good. I live near hagerstown. If you would be interested that would be great. I was told they werent related but still this would be a good experience. PM me and I can give you some more info.

Is your female being fed a plentiful amount of food ?
are you dusting the food with calcium.
Is she being sprayed enough times ?
The only way i can see the eggs not being fertile is because lack of food, females that are pregnat require a stronger feeding regiment. Of course even with all the extra feeding and dusting you still might have a few eggs that are bad. Incubating is also key for a succesful hatch. Don't move them around, check them about 1-2 a month in the early stages. If you see fungus forming on the eggs, I use foot powder on the egg. It works to kill the fungus. Good luck

Thanks that was the reply I was looking for. I am sure every thing is pretty good on the feeding and supplement angle. I have 12 out of 22 from the second clutch. The moving thing though. I have done that to see where the best results are for the incubator. Thanks for the info. You guys have some very very nice chams. I will have better pics up here soon.

What do you guys do with 30-40 or more Chameleon's that hatch, especially if you don't have the setup for it and where do u put them? I know it may sound like a dumb question but I look at what it takes to keep just 1 Chameleon and give it the love and attention it needs to thrive. I couldn't imagine what on earth I would with even 5 or 10 of them, lol. That just blows my mind.

Kevin I am doing it for the purpose of curiosity, experience, fun, and for friends. I have the means to take care of them after sufficient size to get rid of if needed. I have people that i know and will give them a good home. I have had quite a few friends take care of my 4 chams when I go on vacation or even just back to my moms house for a couple days. They all do a great job at it to so I know if i get some babys then they will have good homes. I am surely not doing this for profit or to start a buisiness.

Back
Top Bottom