Indian Stick eggs

Kazza

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Indian stick insect eggs?

I've just bought some off e-bay so i can raise a good colony of sticks but i'm a bit confused on how to care for them.

I've googled a lot of info but different sites contradict each other.
One site says bury them in earth, another says put them on play sand and keep moist, another says seperate them ( that'll be difficult i've got over 100! ), the list goes on.

I assume all of these methods work but which is the best? Has anyone got any tried and tested ways to care for them?

Thanx
;)

i smimilarly bought some eggs from ebay but i only bought ten,they came with no care sheet etc but from what i have read they just need to be put in a jar with a small airhole over the top,they also suggested wrapping a pair of tights around the top to stop any escapees but i have been unable to get my eggs to start hatching

Having never hatched or kept these insects (again, illegal in the U.S.) I have no practical knowledge. From what I have read you would need to have acceptable temperature (70 to 80 degrees f ? ) and they can take awhile.
Be sure to have acceptable food for when they do hatch. ie: bramble (rasberry, blackberry branches etc...and or oak, english ivy etc.)
I have read some species take several months up to two years to hatch.
I think the indians would hatch as soon as conditions simulating spring are provided and maintained.
I know with my tropical roaches, once I raised the temps....everything changed!

-Brad

From what i've read the indian sticks should take around 9 months to hatch - not sure how long since these eggs were laid.

They're in a tub with a bit of substrate at the moment, they're close to Shivers heat lamp and i'm giving them a very light mist of water twice a day.

I just don't know what method is the best. I'm going to get some play sand for Shiver ( for her to dig in when she's a bit older and ready to lay eggs )so i could use some of that to put them on.

Actually, Indian stick eggs take 2-3 months to hatch at room temperature... 70-75 degrees F. Those tall deli cups used for fruit flies with the cloth covered ventilation holes work well for hatching the eggs. A paper towel or a piece of sponge, a bit of dirt, play sand, etc. in the bottom of the cup helps to hold in moisture. Moisten the substrate of your choice, dump in the eggs. If the substrate gets dry, moisten it. 2 to 3 months later, just about the time you think the eggs are never going to hatch, they do. Then, feed them bramble, etc. and mist them every day. They can stay in the tall deli cup for a bit, but will quickly outgrow it.

A tall clear container with a screen top works well for them as they grow to adulthood. Some keepers prefer drainage layers of substrates on the bottom, including charcoal. That way, the inevitable standing water from the daily mistings in the drain layers stays somewhat fresh. Once the habitat is established, it just needs to be kept up. The sticks will lay eggs, the eggs will lay on the substrate and eventually hatch. Using the green brick stuff that florists use for flower arrangements keeps bramble and other vegetation fresh for a bit longer. Plus, it makes it easy to just poke fresh vegetation into the brick. Poo, dead walking sticks, dead leaves, stripped vegetation and general debris needs to be removed fairly regularly. Because of the stick's parthenogenic nature, disposing of this debris in a manner that will prevent the distribution of an egg or a stick into your local agricultural setting is important. Burning it in a fire place or a wood stove is great.. freezing it for a long time (months) works. Double bag it before it goes to the dump.

Although chameleons absolutely love walking sticks, it is still easy to be overrun by them. They are very, very prolific. Be sure to have a good source of food on hand.. bramble, ivy, privet, etc. Also be certain that what you are feeding your sticks won't poison your chameleons. Privet and certain ivys are toxic, so you can use them to grow up your sticks, but will need to flush their guts for a few days with either bramble or romaine lettuce before you feed them to your chameleons. Start talking with the people you know as well. You will need to find homes for some of the walking sticks, especially if you only have a few chameleons. Luckily, demand is high especially among chameleon owners.

Most species of non-indigenous walking sticks are illegal to keep in most of states in the United States. They are illegal to distribute across state lines in all states. The big issue is distribution. Live insects or their eggs can't cross state lines. That makes it really hard to get them in. If you know someone who keeps them in your state, it makes things a lot easier. Places to check are local universities, nature conservancies, etc. They may or may not kick down with a few eggs or insects. My state's USDA department was extremely helpful in clarifying the laws and the position of the government on this insect. I found I had a much better response by calling them than by emailing them. Walking sticks are considered a pest insect because of their voracious appetites and extremely prolific nature. Regardless of what country one lives in, responsible ownership of this insect is important. Never allow any of them to be released into the wild, where they could potentially start a plague.

Heika

That is absolutely fantastic information Heika, thankyou so much :)

I didn't know about privet and certain ivy being poisonous.

I have a very good supply of bramble so i'll keep them on that.

I have a local pet store who want to buy the excess sticks off me so i won't be over-run and i have a few friends with various reptiles who want some too.

I was getting so much conflicting instructions off the internet so i thought i'd ask on here.

You guys are ace!! :D :cool:

Back
Top Bottom