incubators

reptileman

Avid Member
I was wondering if hova bators are a good choice of incubator for panther chameleons, if so does anyone know what the turbo fans advantage is compared to the thermal, I have heard both that the fan is a waste of money and unnessicary and others say the fan is far better. I have not however been told why its better from those people. right now I am unsure and hope someone could let me know.

I use the closet method but hovabators only warm and do not cool, other than that they work great. I do not know about the fan.

You don't need or want the ones with fans. The basic model 1602, I believe it is, is all you need. These work good for when you have a cool place and don't want temps to drop below the set point..... but they will not cool down the temp inside the incubator if the temp climbs higher than you'd like. If you have a spot in your home that stays at a constant temp close to the incubation temp you'd like, just place the eggs there. People call this the 'closet' method.

I have one of the MR-148's from LLL Reptile. It works great where I am at because my temps are all over inside my apt. So I don't have to worry too much about the eggs getting too cold or too hot.

With any option you choose I highly recomend getting a 'indoor/outdoor' digital temp gauge that can tell you the max/min temp. This way you can monitor the temps swings of the eggs. I use one from Lowe's that is about $14. It does Humidity and temp, both in and outside probes. You can reset the min/max temps with the push of a button.

i humbly honestly know nothing about any incubators, but i assume that the fan would somehow keep it at a constant warm and not hot enviornment, or thermostated to keep it at desired temps. also maybe to eliminate mold problems.

down side would be maybe if it is thermostated, it would just cool it completely and destroy the eggs? just my thoughts and guesses

Some egg incubation require high temps... The Hovabators are heated with a metal bar that grows around the top of the incubator. I believe the fan is to keep the entire incubator one temp instead of the heat staying at the top. These incubators have small holes in the corners, at the bottom to allow fresh air in as the heated air rises out the top 'breather' holes. These holes have removable plugs to help regulate the air flow. The fan keeps the air moving and constantly being warmed as it passes the heating element.

Back
Top Bottom